Latvian National Championships, 02–03 December 2017 | Golden Skate

Latvian National Championships, 02–03 December 2017

Andrea82

Medalist
Has Angelina Kuchvalska withdrawn? In the running order she was supposed to skate after Nikitina. But the girl who skated after Diana wasn't her

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Has Angelina Kuchvalska withdrawn? In the running order she was supposed to skate after Nikitina. But the girl who skated after Diana wasn't her

Angelina wasn't there :( No one knows what is going on with her.

Well done to Deniss and Diana! Great performances! Beautiful clean skates! :yahoo:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes...Deniss & Diana did fantastic! Stephane should be very proud! Diana just seems to be getting better every time I see her.

cronos27

Rinkside
This is the last thing that could happen, I think that Angelina suddenly abandoned the skating, because she did not show up if she was the one who got Latvia a quota for the ladies in the Olympics, I am every time more believing that some boyfriend is taking her away from the skating , there is no other reason, check your instagram and read what she writes in your photos and you will see that if what I say is well founded

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
angelina was not even registered to participate in the national championship, look here http://slidas.sauc.lv/proto/2017.12.lc/CAT057EN.HTM

it saddens me a lot, she had fought so much for the Olympics and now she does not care anymore, she leaves everything and without more

There were originally 5 names in the starting order including hers...she must have withdrawn soon before the competition.

Since she has not given any public reason for her loss of form, I don't think we can assume it is just about not caring. Maybe she has some personal issues that she isn't comfortable talking about. Maybe she'll take some time off, make some changes & come back...or maybe she will decide she's had enough.

Miller

Final Flight
Angelina Kuchvalska has "chronically unhealed injury" (Source: LTV1)

This would make more sense. A pattern of being entered for events and then withdrawing would suggest something like this. Finally she has to try Challenger events, I believe it's the best 2 that count and that finally she has to give it a go.

Latvian

On the Ice
Deniss Vasiljevs 86.97+150.85=237.82

Diana Nikitina 58.08+124.96=183.04

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Today was not quite as good for Deniss, but still some excellent work, especially towards the end. He went for 4T but I bet there will be at least one carrot on the protocol and it was 2ft, also he popped 2 axels. His 3Lz combos were fantastic though. According to the YT account streaming today, his score was 150.85, for 237.82 total.
Diana was on fire! Everything clean. Her score was (according to the YT channel streaming today) 124.96, for total of 183.04 :eek: Her PCS shot up here so I'm not sure that score is accurate, but her basic skating is getting better so well done to her.

There was one cute moment when Diana was warming up right before her FS, and the camera turned around to show Deniss and his manager sitting on the bench ready to cheer for her :luv17:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Stephane is really proving himself as an excellent coach and I'm so glad he took on Diana. She's come so far in just a few months with him. It's good to know that she didn't just earn her Olympic spot by default (thanks to Angelina's health issue(s)), but by performing to the best of her ability. (I don't think they have officially given her the spot yet, but I don't see how it could be any other way).

This was a good place for Deniss to try the quad...not perfect but he never gave up on the performance!

icetug

Medalist
Waiting for Deniss' performance today, I watched junior men and I liked especially Kims Pavlovs, the winner. I hope he will be able to take the second spot for Latvia in the near future. Unfortunately he isn't eligible for Europeans 2018, while the second junior, who is 17, lacks TES. Does it mean that Latvia won't use the spot?

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Waiting for Deniss' performance today, I watched junior men and I liked especially Kims Pavlovs, the winner. I hope he will be able to take the second spot for Latvia in the near future. Unfortunately he isn't eligible for Europeans 2018, while the second junior, who is 17, lacks TES. Does it mean that Latvia won't use the spot?

I would love to see Kims at Euros, is he really not eligible? If not, I wonder if Lukas Kaugars or Glebs Basins are still competing, they could use it, but I haven't heard anything of them this year. And they weren't here. :think: If not it will probably go unused.

Andrea82

Medalist
I think no-one has the minimum TES so far (obviously apart DV) and time is running out given it must be achieved 21 days before start of the event. So only competitons from next 2 weeks are valid (Golden Spin, Santa Claus Cup, GP of Bratislava and the competition in Istanbul). No Latvian man is entered at GS and Santa Claus. I haven't seen the entry list for Bratislava and Istanbul.

Edit: I've just noticed GP of Bratislava is only for Juniors/Novices. So it doesn't count.

icetug

Medalist
I would love to see Kims at Euros, is he really not eligible?
He was born in October 2002; to be eligible, should have been born before 1st of July 2002 :sad21:
I believe that Deniss will earn 2 spots for Latvia at Euros 2019 what encourage these boys to do their best next year to take part in the championships.