Leg pain | Golden Skate

Leg pain

kikokiko

Spectator
Hello! When jumping on ice, i usually don’t have any pain, however, off ice causes a lot of pain in my landing leg. usually, when it’s starts to become worse i’ll stop practicing off ice for a week, but as soon as i start jumping again, it goes back to hurting. I have recently learnt how to do an axel on ice, and so wouldn’t want to take a huge break from jumping as this may reverse it. Are there any other solutions in trying to stop this pain? i’ve only been jumping doubles and axels off ice so don’t understand why there would be so much pain.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I'm not a doctor, but as someone who not long ago had a foot pain, didn't immediately go to the doctor, tried all kinds of home remedies and asked advice online, which only delayed my recovery, I think you should go to a sports hospital or clinic and consult there with an orthopaedist. I wish I could go back in time and had done this immediately when I had the pain.
I'm going to physical therapy 3 times a week, have a trainer in the sports hospital gym who works with me in private sessions and not only I'm better than I was when the injury started, I've improved my skating and am getting stronger, which might prevent future injury.

It's good to share experiences online, but nothing replaces in person examination by professionals.
I wish you find a solution for your pain soon and wish you a quick recovery too.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It could be the footwear you're using, it could be your technique. Landing on ice is completely different from landing on concrete/wood/whatever. Ask your coach for advice and consider consulting a physiotherapist or sports doctor before doing any more off-ice jumping.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
I agree with both posters above. It's best to see a medical professional.

It could be your footwear, the surface you are jumping on, and/or your technique.

Are you working with an off-ice coach who is certified in strength and conditioning with a figure skating background?

ayakashi

Rinkside
To give another anecdote, much like @LolaSkatesInJapan mentioned, I had a fall last month on August 20th and had hyper extended my right leg (I stepped on my blade doing a mohawk and ended up falling ankle to groin ouch.) I took about 2 weeks off the ice and off of working out, thinking that should be plenty of time and never went to a doctor for it. I felt OK after 2 weeks, but I still couldn't run or even lean over to put my pants on. I figured maybe it just needed a little more time, but I can walk and skate fine for the most part so I brushed it off.

Come September 18th, I still couldn't run and had some pain still when leaning over to put pants on, but I went skating anyways thinking I had my lesson the next day so I had to practice. I fell on my left hip, and ended up in the emergency room with a right hip contusion. Now they're thinking it's more complicated than that, especially since I told them at my follow up appointment about the fall in August, because I still can't put weight on my right leg, so I'm due for physical therapy in a week and a half and I'm still on the crutches as I type this.

Please get checked out by a doctor! I wish I had gotten checked out last month so I could be off the ice for only a couple weeks or a month had I gotten treatment then instead of who knows how long now. I'm only hoping now that since I'm always bearing my weight on my left leg that my spins will be better by the time I get back on the ice, and maybe my jumps will be higher or more explosive (at least the ones that take off on my left leg haha)! ;) and of course, I'm hoping once I do physical therapy and recover that it won't be a repeat issue.

I hope it goes smoothly and you recover/heal quickly!

midori green

On the Ice
There is a lot more friction when you land on the ground vs ice. Forces that would, on ice, be absorbed by the glide out on your landing (also picture how your foot easily spins out of a slightly underrotated landing on ice) become just a twisting force on your leg when you land on solid ground. This twisting could be what's causing the pain in your shin. In many videos I see of skaters jumping on land, they keep hopping on the landing...don't "stick" the landing. Perhaps they're doing that to decrease those twisting forces.