loss of flow | Golden Skate

loss of flow

iceskating21

On the Ice
There was an old post in which I asked how to improve power. My skater got that comments in her last 2 move tests. Now I want to ask how to improve if loss of flow? I guess she improved her power, because nowadays her coach's comment changed to "loss of flow". What does it mean exactly? ...not very smooth... bumpy...? what kind of exercise will improve it?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There was an old post in which I asked how to improve power. My skater got that comments in her last 2 move tests. Now I want to ask how to improve if loss of flow? I guess she improved her power, because nowadays her coach's comment changed to "loss of flow". What does it mean exactly? ...not very smooth... bumpy...? what kind of exercise will improve it?
You should be having these discussions with her coach in depth and asking these questions of them.
You also might consider power stroking classes for your skater.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Power comes from proper pushing of the blade against the ice. Sounds like your skater is getting better at that aspect but is doing something weird while executing her MITF, thus slowing her down, or making her moves looked awkward. Hard to say.
Video would help.

If your rink or club offers power stroking classes, take Ic3Rabbit's suggestion and have her participate. Hopefully they aren't just skating around at a fast speed but actually getting some power stroking instruction. There are coaches that specialize in stroking too.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Maybe check out the ice dance coaches to see which ones spend time on basic stroking and skating. Dancers have to have invisible power and there are various techniques for getting it. I used to get consulted by the hockey team as they wanted to learn how to go from one end of the Olympic size ice pad to the other in two pushes. That was entertaining...