Maria Sotskova | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Maria Sotskova

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starting to be concerned that she can't deliver a clean competition after nationals, 2 years in a row. Buyanova needs to ask Eteri what's the secret to instilling nerves of steel into her ladies skaters. I really hope Maria stays away from the media :( Barely making the top 12, oye oye oye oye :sad4:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Starting to be concerned that she can't deliver a clean competition after nationals, 2 years in a row. Buyanova needs to ask Eteri what's the secret to instilling nerves of steel into her ladies skaters. I really hope Maria stays away from the media :( Barely making the top 12, oye oye oye oye :sad4:

I think she needs a change. Elena B delivered for Russia with Adelina, but both Radionova and now Masha haven't produced the same results.

Masha said she enjoyed training with Rafael Artunyan in California, and liked the atmosphere with the other skaters. I'm unsure if the feds would approve of her spending more time there (let alone pay for it), or even making that kind of change. He's been great with Nathan and he turned Adam into a reliably consistent skater (let's not discuss nationals here), and he made Ashley into a competitor (even if she's faded in the last two seasons). Perhaps that's something for her to consider, to complement her current coaching situation?

Good luck to Maria in the FS!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I would be wary of sending her to Artunyan (sp?)
I discussed this in another thread, but he doesn't seem to have the best all-around training

that said, Buyanova is doing Masha no favors
I'm thinking Masha might do better with Mishin or even Davydov or Rukavicin. not sure if Eteri would take a fourth senior that's not very consistent but for Masha's sake I'd hope she would
just out of the claws of Buyanova and Miss Awful Programs Panova

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she needs a change. Elena B delivered for Russia with Adelina, but both Radionova and now Masha haven't produced the same results.

Masha said she enjoyed training with Rafael Artunyan in California, and liked the atmosphere with the other skaters. I'm unsure if the feds would approve of her spending more time there (let alone pay for it), or even making that kind of change. He's been great with Nathan and he turned Adam into a reliably consistent skater (let's not discuss nationals here), and he made Ashley into a competitor (even if she's faded in the last two seasons). Perhaps that's something for her to consider, to complement her current coaching situation?

Good luck to Maria in the FS!

Moving overseas isn't happening. She had to pay for training cost, living expenses (?) plus her choreography out of her own prize money when she went to LA. And California living expenses are high. I don't think she can afford that if she makes that kind of change for a season or more. Plus I don't like the way Raf is in the K&C when his skaters skate badly. I do like him as a coach though but I like all coaches across all disciplines except one, Tsareva.

And Radionova, she was struggling before the switch. Very few coaches can work miracles in the matter of months. If she was going to make a coaching change it should have been when Maria switched or even the season prior to that, not the Olympic season when the pressure is immense.

I would be wary of sending her to Artunyan (sp?)
I discussed this in another thread, but he doesn't seem to have the best all-around training

that said, Buyanova is doing Masha no favors
I'm thinking Masha might do better with Mishin or even Davydov or Rukavicin. not sure if Eteri would take a fourth senior that's not very consistent but for Masha's sake I'd hope she would
just out of the claws of Buyanova and Miss Awful Programs Panova

Sorry but none of those options are better than the one she currently has outside of Eteri and her methods are not for everyone. I would elaborate but not in this thread.

I just think she maybe needs, if she doesn't already have one, a sports psychologist since she's always mentioning her nerves :confused2: She mentions it after every disappointing skate.

Well I do hope she can pull a Nathan and skate much better tomorrow and move way up to like 7th or 8th :( I want her to leave Korea with a skate she can be proud of :sad4:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
A good sports psychologist is a must for Masha, I think

I just hope she can recover in the free...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I want to congratulate Masha on her free skate today! :biggrin:

It was so sad to see her so low in the rankings after the SP, but she really brought it today!

And I enjoy her tano, I find something balletic (or artistic?) in the bent arm, but eh what do I know LOL.

But she finished in the Top 10! Excellent work! :cheer:

Although I'm a little bummed she wasn't invited to be part of the Team, now she's the only Russian girl without a medal.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Maria was very good last night and ended her olympics on a high note. I think they could have given her higher scores too. Too bad her short program set her back so much.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I want to congratulate Masha on her free skate today! :biggrin:

It was so sad to see her so low in the rankings after the SP, but she really brought it today!

And I enjoy her tano, I find something balletic (or artistic?) in the bent arm, but eh what do I know LOL.

But she finished in the Top 10! Excellent work! :cheer:

Although I'm a little bummed she wasn't invited to be part of the Team, now she's the only Russian girl without a medal.

The short program really set her back. :(

Figure skating needs to do something for worlds and the next olympics. If a country has so many top skaters why max them at just 3? in 2022 Russia will be able to field 6 or 8 girls. :) ;) I fear Masha will get pushed to the side like others have in recent years unless she has a really good world championships.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm really looking forward to get home from work to see it all, incl. Maria. I wished her the best but she moved from 12th to 8th, thats a big deal.

Sam L

Medalist
Maria was so great to watch at the Olympics and her redemption free skate was amazing. Just wondering is she trying to make “Mary Sot” happen? Is that going to be her nickname or anglicised name?