Men and the Biellmann | Golden Skate

Men and the Biellmann

Matt

On the Ice
So, I was recently on the official website for the Junior GPF, looking at photos from the various programmes, and I noticed that not only did a lot of the women do Biellmanns, but also a large number of the men as well:

(Note-Click 'Previous' after accessing these two hyperlinks to see the photos)
Ryo Shibata (JPN)
http://www.skategrafix.com/jgp/mshort/DSC_09893.html

Mikhail Magerovski (RUS)
http://www.skategrafix.com/jgp/mshort/DSC_09941.html

Now, when Plushy first did the Biellmann, it was unique, a novelty, not a lot of people were doing it. Now, it's becoming almost a trend. My question is where did this suddenly come from (especially b/c the JGP is still OBO judging, so it's not b/c they're trying to get Level 3s on their spins)?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Matt said:
So, I was recently on the official website for the Junior GPF, looking at photos from the various programmes, and I noticed that not only did a lot of the women do Biellmanns, but also a large number of the men as well:

(Note-Click 'Previous' after accessing these two hyperlinks to see the photos)
Ryo Shibata (JPN)
http://www.skategrafix.com/jgp/mshort/DSC_09893.html

Mikhail Magerovski (RUS)
http://www.skategrafix.com/jgp/mshort/DSC_09941.html

Now, when Plushy first did the Biellmann, it was unique, a novelty, not a lot of people were doing it. Now, it's becoming almost a trend. My question is where did this suddenly come from (especially b/c the JGP is still OBO judging, so it's not b/c they're trying to get Level 3s on their spins)?

Four out of the six men in that final did Biellmanns...and one performed the catchfoot camel (which is like a sideways Biellman, in a way)...so maybe it has become a bit of a trend. I hope they're using it wisely, and using it with the music, rather than just throwing it out there for the TCS points... =(

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like beilmann's? I think they're ugly, no matter what sex does them. Yeah, I understand that they're difficult (lord knows I couldn't do one), but they're so yucky.

Ximena

Final Flight
Probably all this junior men are doing it for their transition to senior ranks, if they don't have all the jumps down, they know they can make it for with the spins and steps sequence.

Right now most of the senior are trying the donut spin and things like that to increase the difficult of their spins. Yes, some spins don't look good but then again a lot of the moves (some dancing lifts) don't either but since COP is rewarding it, they will still do it.

floskate

On the Ice
Matt the second link you gave is actually Jamal Ohtman of Switzerland. I really like this picture of him. Jamal

But the best Biellmann i ever saw from a man was - unsurprisingly really - from Shawn Sawyer:

WOW

I think that pretty much says it all don't you?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
floskate said:
Matt the second link you gave is actually Jamal Ohtman of Switzerland. I really like this picture of him. Jamal

But the best Biellmann i ever saw from a man was - unsurprisingly really - from Shawn Sawyer:

WOW

I think that pretty much says it all don't you?

That one is even better, IMO than Irina Slutskaya's

Awesome

Spectator
Matt,
Just for your information the JGP's this year were judged on COP, so that's why some of the men are trying different spins.

sk8er1964 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like beilmann's? I think they're ugly, no matter what sex does them. Yeah, I understand that they're difficult (lord knows I couldn't do one), but they're so yucky.
No No No. I don't like them along with 90 percent of pair spins which to me look like a wrestling match. Another non like is E'man's fanny on top spin. Silly! We could do a thread on Dislikes of Skating Elements.

Joe

thisthingcalledlove said:
That one is even better, IMO than Irina Slutskaya's

Those boys examples will get them work with Cirque du Soleil, and why not? That show flaunts acrobatics while ballet avoids it.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Those boys examples will get them work with Cirque du Soleil, and why not? That show flaunts acrobatics while ballet avoids it.

Joe
Except for the backflip of course. Can't have anything like that happening in competition because it's too acrobatic. Anything else appears to be acceptable even though it's much less asthetically pleasing to see. :laugh:

ceg15

On the Ice
Personally, I don't like the mens doing beillmans. I think that the spin is very feminine(like laybacks) and meant for the women to do. It doesn't look that attractive when you see men doing it. JMO....

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I don't like men doing beilmanns and I think they are generally ugly unless you can have a realllllly good one.

Sidejehoka

Rinkside
I'm honestly delighted to hear/see that. I remember Plushenko saying that one of the reasons why he keeps it is that he likes being the only one who does it. So if he's not the only one anymore he'll possibly grow wise and drops it. I'm worried about his back, really.

mzheng

Record Breaker