Men's quad count | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's quad count

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Has anyone ever landed a 4-3-3 in international competition besides Plushenko?

I was told by a friend that Plushenko is the only one and will remain the only because 4-3-3s and 3-3-3s are not allowed. That doesn't make any sense because I've seen 4-2-2s and 3-3-2s before. If a skater wants an eight triple layout with a 4-3-3 he or she will need a) more than one quad and b) the ability to do -3Lo combinations. (i.e., 4T+3T+3T, 4S, 3A, 3S/3A+2T, 3Lz+3Lo, 3F. It seems to me that the reason no one does them is because of the Zayak rule or an inability to do so, not because of any rule explicitly forbidding it. Can anyone clarify?

3 or 4 people.
1 guy used to do 4T+3T+3T. His name Kevin Van de Perren.
This was relatively recently compared to Plushenko.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Zhang Min I decided to move to the retired list because he was kind of mostly in the IJS era.

According to his Wikipedia page, it looks like most of his international competitions were in the IJS era.

But I still think of Zhang's claims to fame being the first clean quad in Olympic competition in 1994 and first short program quad at 1999 Four Continents.

Has anyone ever landed a 4-3-3 in international competition besides Plushenko?

...It seems to me that the reason no one does them is because of the Zayak rule or an inability to do so, not because of any rule explicitly forbidding it. Can anyone clarify?

Yes, that is true. There is no rule that explicitly forbids such a combination.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
According to his Wikipedia page, it looks like most of his international competitions were in the IJS era.

But I still think of Zhang's claims to fame being the first clean quad in Olympic competition in 1994 and first short program quad at 1999 Four Continents.

Alas, he is the worst borderline case ;) Could go either way. The database did include 33 quads for those three seasons when he competed IJS which is a fairly high number.

But the first video seems to have revealed another tried pre-IJS name: Michael Slipchuk?!

The Japanese database reveals that also Shubin did the 4T+3T+2Lo, Zhang Min and Ma Xiaodong did 4T+3T+2T. Kevin also tried 4T+3T+2Lo and even 4T+3T+3Lo, but with URs and downgrades.

E