Messing in "hog heaven" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Messing in "hog heaven"

livetoskate

On the Ice
I'm thrilled for Keegan too. He seems like such a good sport and has worked hard for so many years. I too remember seeing him compete at Liberty Open and seeing his speed and attack throughout his programs. No matter how he does at the Olympics, he'll be proud of his accomplishments!

mrrice

Record Breaker
So when Patrick retires, can he win Canadian Nationals 2019???

:yes:

I'm going to guess, yes. I admit that it's been 7 years since I saw Keegan at US Nationals but I have to say, he was a firecracker back then and has only gotten better since. He is fast, fast, fast, and though I was not a huge fan of his positions, he spun like a top!!! Most skaters tend to be short but, other than Armin Mahbanoozadeh (sp) Keegan was the smallest man in the event.

Keegan also has beautiful posture and carriage. He really held his head up high and delivered for the crowd. Our whole group loved him. IMO, it was his programs that held him back more than his actual skating. I hope that made sense.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
How do you figure that? Keegan had plenty of chances he just couldn't cut it in a much deeper US field so he went to a place where he had less competition and made the most of it.

They wanted him to leave Alaska, and he wouldn't. There were politics involved. He got passed up not just for his lack of "stellar scores", but because it was deemed too expensive to support an Alaskan skater in Alaska. In 08 I got to speak with several USFSA credentials... they all said the same thing - Alaska was holding him back.

however, Canada doesn't seem to have the same issue, and it's just expensive to travel on their dime from Alaska. Sure the USFSA had more stock to choose from, but Keegan has flourished under the support Skate Canada has given.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How do you figure that? Keegan had plenty of chances he just couldn't cut it in a much deeper US field so he went to a place where he had less competition and made the most of it.

When did Keegan move? I ask because he made the final flight in 2011 and he was fresh out of Juniors. Who knows what would have happened had he stayed in the US. I will also add that 2011 was unique in that Ryan Bradley decided to stay active and came back and won the Event. It was also the year that Jeremy Abbott did the Spanish SP and was quite good. Unfortunately, he missed the podium due spectacular Long Programs from Ryan, Ricky and Ross, who were ALL brilliant that night.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When did Keegan move? I ask because he made the final flight in 2011 and he was fresh out of Juniors. Who knows what would have happened had he stayed in the US. I will also add that 2011 was unique in that Ryan Bradley decided to stay active and came back and won the Event. It was also the year that Jeremy Abbott did the Spanish SP and was quite good. Unfortunately, he missed the podium due spectacular Long Programs from Ryan, Ricky and Ross, who were ALL brilliant that night.

Keegan's still in Alaska for the most part is my understanding. I don't think he's been with Skate Canada that long?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Keegan's still in Alaska for the most part is my understanding. I don't think he's been with Skate Canada that long?

Would you say that 2011 was his best year as a US Skater? I feel bad saying it but, I don't remember Keegan between seeing his Robin Hood SP in 2011 and his Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life program and I don't even remember which year that was....I believe he was skating for Canada when did that program, right? :palmf:

After doing some checking, it seems Keegan's first Nationals for Canada was 2015...He had some disappointing finishes at US Nationals and after finishing 16th in 2013, and 12th in 2014, he decided to make the switch to Canada. This was from Wikipedia so it may not be accurate.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I was interested too, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. He skated at US Nationals in 13-14 and came 12th. The following year (14-15) he skated at Canadian Nationals and came 5th. He had no international assignments either year.

Coming 5th or better in Canada is key to getting getting funding from Skate Canada. After that first Canadian nationals, he's had at least two international assignment per year, with Skate Canada twice out of three possible years (he got it after the years he got fifth at nationals, not after the year he got sixth).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He got a bit of support from Skate Canada even before his 5th place. they were excited to have him.

I'm not saying Keegan didn't have a lot of work to do to get where he is, but even when he was a junior and doing fairly well in the US he wasn't getting the same sort of support his competitors on equal footing with him got for living "in the states".

TBH the best thing that happened was him getting a decent choreographer. Rory Flack did him no favors artistically.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He got a bit of support from Skate Canada even before his 5th place. they were excited to have him.

I'm not saying Keegan didn't have a lot of work to do to get where he is, but even when he was a junior and doing fairly well in the US he wasn't getting the same sort of support his competitors on equal footing with him got for living "in the states".

TBH the best thing that happened was him getting a decent choreographer. Rory Flack did him no favors artistically.

I definitely agree with this comment. It was during his Hulk LP, that I thought, "Get this young man a good choreographer and watch him soar. Who is his new choreographer?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They wanted him to leave Alaska, and he wouldn't. There were politics involved. He got passed up not just for his lack of "stellar scores", but because it was deemed too expensive to support an Alaskan skater in Alaska. In 08 I got to speak with several USFSA credentials... they all said the same thing - Alaska was holding him back.

however, Canada doesn't seem to have the same issue, and it's just expensive to travel on their dime from Alaska. Sure the USFSA had more stock to choose from, but Keegan has flourished under the support Skate Canada has given.

Tonichelle, thank you so much for sharing your well-versed knowledge of Keegan’s career and journey that lead him to where he is today: Canada’s current second best mens’ skater, with a freshly punched ticket to the Olympics games in hand! His story is quite unique, and only until recently did I learn about it.

:thank:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not that well versed, but I've seen this kid grow up on the ice. Proud of him to achieve his dreams!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm going to guess, yes. I admit that it's been 7 years since I saw Keegan at US Nationals but I have to say, he was a firecracker back then and has only gotten better since. He is fast, fast, fast, and though I was not a huge fan of his positions, he spun like a top!!! Most skaters tend to be short but, other than Armin Mahbanoozadeh (sp) Keegan was the smallest man in the event.

Keegan also has beautiful posture and carriage. He really held his head up high and delivered for the crowd. Our whole group loved him. IMO, it was his programs that held him back more than his actual skating. I hope that made sense.

His current choreographer is Lance Vipond, AFAIR.

Also his basic skating is smoother than it used to be.

Last edited:

Scout

Final Flight
That explains it!!! Isn't Lance Kaetlyn's choreographer as well?

Yes, Lance has done a lot of Kaetlyn's programs, although she sometimes works with other choreographers. Jeff Buttle did her Black Swan.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, Lance has done a lot of Kaetlyn's programs, although she sometimes works with other choreographers. Jeff Buttle did her Black Swan.

She sure can pick em'. Lance and Jeffery are 2 of the best in the business!!!