Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds

MaHa75

On the Ice
Especially when most of timelines for registration in B competition in January and february are closed and many of them are cancelled at all.
I hope to be seen lot of good skaters in Tallinn this year 13-16.02.2010 Tallink Hotels Cup http://www.tallinkhotelscup.com/ because this is the last opportunity to get minimum tech before Worlds. Tomorrow is the last day to register.

ruga

Final Flight
Not nice by ISU at all. What are the reasons? They just cut off like 3 skaters and I believe 1-2 of them will actually get those minimums. The rule is clear, a certain percentage of the World Champion's score. Why alter it by a few points in the middle of the season and only in one event? Never thought I'd ever say that, but really hope that the judges will be super generous in those qualifying events.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Raising the minimums is not a problem in itself. It's the timing. Besides, now it looks like the goal of this last minute rule is not first and foremost to raise standards but to regulate the number of competitors. There is no fixed number of spots for Worlds, btw; it's arbitrary.

frida80

Record Breaker
This is such a poor decision is because federations don’t have time to plan for it. There are a set number of competitions that are available for skaters, most of them in the fall. If you know by July 1st what those competitions are,, you have focus on training and accomplishing that goal. If the plan does work out, you have time to adjust it. Now skaters that have met the goal are now being told they have a fraction of the time to get minimums. Not only is there a huge added cost but also a massive amount of stress.

I don’t care what ISU excuse for this is. It’s just disrespectful. If they had such a problem with the technical minimums they should’ve changed it at the start of next season.

pesto

On the Ice
I don’t care what ISU excuse for this is. It’s just disrespectful. If they had such a problem with the technical minimums they should’ve changed it at the start of next season.

Better still, since they already know they need to raise it, announce it now, but to be implemented next season. Then those skaters on the cusp already know they need to raise their game, but don't have this season's plans thrown into disarray.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Sorry to hear about this. After all the efforts an athlete has to face everyday this seems really unfair to many of them. While it is true that only the best get to compete at Worlds, they all deserve to have a chance to compete. Unfortunately they have to compete during a technical revolution of our sport..It's not always easy to keep up for many reasons.

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
Sorry to hear about this. After all the efforts an athlete has to face everyday this seems really unfair to many of them. While it is true that only the best get to compete at Worlds, they all deserve to have a chance to compete. Unfortunately they have to compete during a technical revolution of our sport..It's not always easy to keep up for many reasons.

The problem is not that they have to raise the TES... is that there is no time to get the minimums for some skaters. If the TES was raised for 2021 no one would bat an eye, that's normal and sport is hard. But a lot of people already did their homework and now they're told "oh.. too bad, your homework is useless." This is not what sport is about.

Roo87

Medalist
looks like they're trying to get it down from 40 to 36 competitors (2 ice resurfacing during the competition), which is silly because even if they get 37 they still need that extra group. I hope those ladies come back and get the new mins as a big FU to the ISU, and I'll be at worlds cheering extra loud for them.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Will the results of the Europeans and 4CC qualify? If yes, then I don't understand the outcry. Those 2 competitions are close to WC, they are supposedly judged to the highest standards possible. We all discussed many times how questionable judging during B events can be. Also, I understand that after the first half of the season almost all slots are already filled. So far only 3-4 skaters are affected. Who prevents them from skating to the qualifying requirement during the Europeans and 4CC? These are important events, the skaters are supposed to be in their best shape by then.

I am sure that some of the affected skaters will make it. Then we are talking about one or two skaters who would qualify under previous rules and could not do it now. It's not about the timing of the announcements. It's about the fact that those one or two skaters cannot qualify. Why is the outcry?

If the Europeans and 4CC are after the cutoff date, then what I wrote was irrelevant and, yes, it was a stupid thing to do.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Um.. is this fair to do at such a late date? It seems rather late in the game.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
A skater needing the minimum free skate TES will have to finish in the top 24 at Four Continents or Europeans to have the opportunity at those events to participate in the Free Skate in an attempt to get the new minimum TES.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel like they should at least grandfather in the skaters who'd met the old requirements but now don't meet the new ones. Seems a bit unfair that they've essentially been kicked out.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
The problem is not that they have to raise the TES... is that there is no time to get the minimums for some skaters. If the TES was raised for 2021 no one would bat an eye, that's normal and sport is hard. But a lot of people already did their homework and now they're told "oh.. too bad, your homework is useless." This is not what sport is about.

I completely agree with you. By saying "after all the efforts an athlete has to do" I wanted to underline the fact that raising TES now it's unfair because it might be too late to get a spot for many of them.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wow, this is really bizarre. I could understand at least a little more if all of a sudden a million skaters were just squeaking by the minimums, so they decided to raise all of them 10 or more points so Worlds wouldn't twice as long as usual, but such a very small increase, only for ladies, and this late in the game? Where's the logic in that?

I put this in the TES minimums thread but thought it'd be a good idea to put it here as well.
These are the athletes I found that are no longer eligible (excluding retired skaters). in brackets is the minimum they are now missing

Sophia Schaller AUT (FS)
Emily Bausback CAN (SP)
Aurora Cotop CAN (SP)
Gerli Liinamae EST (SP)
Linnea Ceder FIN (SP, FS)
Kristen Spours GBR (SP)
Julia Lang HUN (SP, FS)
Sara Conti ITA (FS)
Hina Takeno JPN (FS)
Julia Sauter ROU (SP, FS)
Dasa Grm SLO (FS)
Valentina Matos ESP (SP)

Ugh, I see a lot of names I like on there!

I loved the way you phrased this. So very true.

I feel like they should at least grandfather in the skaters who'd met the old requirements but now don't meet the new ones. Seems a bit unfair that they've essentially been kicked out.

Yeah, that would make it fair.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A skater needing the minimum free skate TES will have to finish in the top 24 at Four Continents or Europeans to have the opportunity at those events to participate in the Free Skate in an attempt to get the new minimum TES.

Well, top 24 is a constraint but not a big one. The worlds have 40 spots maximum. 24+24=48 If, say, Dasa GRM cannot get into top 24 in Europe with the necessary qualification score, may be, her not getting into top world 40 is not that unfair. We all know that there will be not more than 3 Russian skaters at the Europeans.

For me the situation that after the Nationals both Zhenya and Liza were basically forced by the rules to end the season is much more unfair that what we are talking about: potential inability of a couple of skaters who want to go to the worlds get into top 24 in Europe or 4CC with a requred minimum TES.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dasa made the top 24 last year, and her SP TES from 2019 Worlds (32.80) is still eligible. Unfortunately, her FS TES from Worlds 2019 was 50.83, just 0.17 short of the new mark. But clearly, she is capable of achieving 51 either at Euros or another competition.

She finished 15th at 2019 Euros, easily making the FS---but she didn't achieve the minimum FS score there. She must have gotten it earlier or afterwards.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Well, top 24 is a constraint but not a big one. The worlds have 40 spots maximum. 24+24=48 If, say, Dasa GRM cannot get into top 24 in Europe with the necessary qualification score, may be, her not getting into top world 40 is not that unfair. We all know that there will be not more than 3 Russian skaters at the Europeans.

For me the situation that after the Nationals both Zhenya and Liza were basically forced by the rules to end the season is much more unfair that what we are talking about: potential inability of a couple of skaters who want to go to the worlds get into top 24 in Europe or 4CC with a requred minimum TES.
RusFed may easily send, say, Zagitova, Medvedeva and Tuktamisheva to Worlds. Considering no medals expected...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU can set whatever rules they want. At the *beginning* of the season. Not at the end when the skaters have no chance to qualify.

No other sporting federation that I know of does that, certainly not all those “real” sports that we love to use for comparison (I don’t agree with the comparison, but that’s another issue.). Oh, sorry, I know I said you had to have a certain record to qualify for the playoffs. Oopsies. Changed my mind.:taunt:

I’m not one of those who plays “pile on the ISU”, but they have embarassed themselves here. :(

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
To all saying that we won't miss anything good if "not so good skaters" don't qualify... may I remind you that at UEFA Euro 2016, the newcomer Iceland reached quaterfinals. Iceland, surely known for being a football superpower, reaching quarterfinals after defeating England and a tie with Portugal. You'll never know who's going to make their breakthrough even if they are unknown now.
But this is worse... at least when Iceland qualified it stayed that way. They weren't thrown out like trash two months in advance.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice

I get what you're saying but even then the raise doesn't make any sense. It isn't like 'oh since some skaters have been cutoff we might introduce a wildcard for euros/4cc champion(it's just an example to show that like maybe russia and japan get an additional spot) it is just cutting off skaters. No one is benefitting from this and it is unfair to those skater that are just on the edge to change it this short term. Would it have been at the start of the season, it wouldn't have been a problem