Mozart or Rocketman? | Golden Skate

Mozart or Rocketman?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The Mozart program sucked.

I don't love Rocketman either, he conveys neither the wistfulness nor the abandon of Elton's music, and the attempt at trying to do hip-hop is cheesy, it's like a joke of hip-hop, not authentic. But the overall program does have more energy and sense of purpose than the Mozart one.

His best program was what he had last season. Although for a casual audience or Youtube click perspective, people will like Rocketman the most.

susanf

Rinkside
As a professional musician and someone who has an enormous love of Mozart, I was truly appalled by the arrangement of the Requiem music that was used for his Mozart program this season. So, I definitely prefer Rocketman, but even that felt a little stale this weekend. It's very surprising that he has recycled both SP and LP from past seasons. IMO, It makes him look as if he has not grown artistically and is just coasting.

cake

On the Ice
None of those :devil: The Mozart program seems boring. I don´t feel his rocketman at all and these frantic random moves (aka step sequence) at the end really annoy me (although it gets the crowd going for sure).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Land of All is probably my fave of his to come out of the last quadrennial. It's so thoughtful and has a beautiful build to it and just feels so contemporary and fresh.

Rocketman however really shows his personality and is the "anti-classical/orchestral" freeskate that the world needs to see win the Olympics. Considering Lysacek won trying to present a judge friendly warhorse, Chen winning with something like Rocketman would send a great message to the world as to how far figure skating has come.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do think Rocketman is more of a sendup than an actual interpretation and indeed the footwork section is cheesy and gimmicky but it works and it seems to allow Nathan to have fun and therefore relax (though doing a nosedive into the ice is just a tad too relaxed). I too prefer the Philip Glass but since Nathan is fortunately not channeling me he should do what will make him feel most comfortable under the glare of Olympic expectations. Of course, Nathan being Nathan he will do what he feels like when he gets out of bed that morning. Or when he puts on his skates. Or when he hits the ice.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rocketman is one of my favorite programs of all time. If he skated to it in the shirt his mom made it would he h the most perfect.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
As a professional musician and someone who has an enormous love of Mozart, I was truly appalled by the arrangement of the Requiem music that was used for his Mozart program this season. So, I definitely prefer Rocketman, but even that felt a little stale this weekend. It's very surprising that he has recycled both SP and LP from past seasons. IMO, It makes him look as if he has not grown artistically and is just coasting.
I was not surprised by the fact that he, like many other skaters, recycled programs because the last two years have not been the best time period to grow artistically (cancelled events, limited training possibilities, doubts if Olympic games will be held at all, etc.). I was surprised though that he did not recycle his program with Philip Glass music. It felt like it was choreographed with Olympic games in mind. But then again, so felt the Rocketman :laugh:

Why a lackluster Mozart remix got there is beyond me.