Name one skater and one performance ... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Name one skater and one performance ...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think you're jumping the gun a bit with some of these - Sofia M. hasn't even yet been eligible for any Olympic Games, and while things aren't looking too great for Russian skaters to be at the next Olympics either, she might well end up being like Liza and continue skating and being competitive until she's well into her 20s.

And Kaganovskaya/Angelopol are literal babies when it comes to Ice Dance. They are just 17 and 19, and if things play out right for them, they might have 3-4 more chances to try for the Olympics (reminder that for example Guignard/Fabbri are 33 and 35 respectively and going for the next Olympics, which would be their fourth. They went to their first Olympics at 23/25).
I'm only going on the information I have at present time. I can't know the future. And as of today, none of those I listed will make the Olympics. Olympics means nothing to me, personally, but if I would see Murav'yeva, Kostornaya (pairs) and K/A in GP, it would be very heartening for me, because I like those skaters. They all have a penchant for drama and story telling that I really love more than edges and knees.

Last edited:

yume

šŸ‰
Record Breaker
A tragedy. I thought that she was the next big star when i saw this program. Out of the trio (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo), she had the best potential. She's retired now.

The other tragedy. After she won US classic, i thought girl would be in the olympic team for sure. Then the traumatic skate Canada happened.

I won't stop crying over the fact that she finished out of the team, twice.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Nic Nadeau... though he may make it in pairs.. but injuries meant that this former world junior vice-champion had to stop competing in singles... Also, the only Canadian landing a quad loop in competition... I was there for it, live in Ottawa !

Yay!!!!!! This is really fun to watch. It's probably not for nothing that I like him is a Pair skater.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The program that made me sit up and take notice of Nic Nadeau. This video stutters a bit at the beginning, but then settles down. Not as good as the performance I remember, but still shows his ability to really sell an unlikely program.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Robert Wagenhoffer.:rock:

I can't say for sure if this is the performance that caught my attention, he always had wonderful wonderful performances. A true showman and an athlete, practicing quads in 1980.

Staying with his competitive performances rather than his professional ones:

soccerjc77

On the Ice
A tragedy. I thought that she was the next big star when i saw this program. Out of the trio (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo), she had the best potential. She's retired now.

So true, I feel that Eunsoo's career ended after the Incident with Mariah Bell.
After that, she wasn't the same skater ...

She was so promising in the junior, she remind me a young Yu-Na Kim with her high presentation level at a young age.
This performance of her make me thing that she could have be the next big thing for Korea :

I wish that the incident with Mariah Bell never happen, it seem to have affect the rest of her career.
I wish that her and Mariah Bell the best for the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The program that made me sit up and take notice of Nic Nadeau. This video stutters a bit at the beginning, but then settles down. Not as good as the performance I remember, but still shows his ability to really sell an unlikely program.

maybe it was this one?

He rose from 8th after the SP to capture the silver at JWC. He is more expressive there.

And of course, the winner, Daniel Samohin... Sigh.. no comments on what an awesome talent that ended up eaten by the rink monster.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great junior worlds 2016 was.

The bronze medalist was the future gold medalist (with an all time great KnC reaction as gold medalist) Tomoki Hiwatashi. So cool, calm and collected, I was expecting (hoping) to see more from Tomoki than he has been able to show so far as a senior. (and also an increase in performance factor, which he has been able to do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nam Nguyen 2014 Jr worlds.
Maxim Kovtun cup of China 2013
Max Aaron skate america 2015
Ivan righini europeans 2015.

Some of the skaters I listed for artistic, some for technical. All I expected to compete at olympics at some point.
yeah.. i listed nam too.. because after junior worlds where he won, he did manage to get to 5th in the worlds in 2015.. i thought he was set.. but growth spurt ruined it for him... in 2014, Pitkeev came second... so that's another one... for other reasons... at least the podium was completed with Nathan Chen..... who did his part as a junior world medalist of recent years to make it to the top...

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
yeah.. i listed nam too.. because after junior worlds where he won, he did manage to get to 5th in the worlds in 2015.. i thought he was set.. but growth spurt ruined it for him... in 2014, Pitkeev came second... so that's another one... for other reasons... at least the podium was completed with Nathan Chen..... who did his part as a junior world medalist of recent years to make it to the top...
I think it all fell apart for him at 2016 worlds. That meant there wasn't enough spots in 2017 for team canada to have the chance to earn 3 spots in 2018. With Keegan showing reliability and Chan coming back and showing strength, there just wasn't the space for him in 2018.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Kolyada with his Nureyev program. Such a masterpiece. :cry:

Damn, yeah.
I like this thread more than I thought I would - I think in general it is just impossible to predict if someone will make it to the Olympics. There are so many factors at play and many, many athletes miss out due to an untimely injury. In figure skating great potential or ability doesn't really help much to predict anything - most likely to go are athletes from small feds with hardly any competition in their country, but then they might give up fs earlier because of lack of funding. And then there's the thing that figure skating careers especially of the women are so short that if you miss the event in one cycle it's often unlikely you will make it the next time. So I hardly ever "expect" anyone to go based on a performance.
I remember an interview with Maddie Schizas who was asked about her success and she said she had worked really hard, had shown a lot of discipline, but that others had worked just as hard and weren't less talented - they just had an injury or whatever outside factors not working for them at the decisive time, so in the end it was also luck - I liked that awareness.

But Kolyada - weeks before the Olympics I was sure he was going, couldn't believe when it didn't happen.
Of course he has been to the Olympics nonetheless, but not with THAT program...

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yeah, if there was a huge program that didn't really win anything super major, and it should have had, it's his Nureyev. Weird how it happens.
It's weirdly fitting for a tribute, and I can't put my finger on why. Perhaps it's because Nureyev died before his time due to illness (albeit AIDS related, so much more serious), and then for illness to prevent such a fantastic tribute to him from being shown at the Olympics.

I know I'm reaching with the comparison, and some may even find it offensive (I apologise, I mean with no offence), but It's part of the acceptance for me that it was never performed at the Olympics. Such a beautiful dancer deserved so much more in life, and this program deserved more.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
What a great junior worlds 2016 was.

The bronze medalist was the future gold medalist (with an all time great KnC reaction as gold medalist) Tomoki Hiwatashi. So cool, calm and collected, I was expecting (hoping) to see more from Tomoki than he has been able to show so far as a senior. (and also an increase in performance factor, which he has been able to do.

Thanks for remembering him!

And Emerald TigeršŸ˜»

Last of the Mohicans

Last edited: