Nathan Chen | Page 917 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

chanchan

On the Ice
Nathan to appear in his first European ice show, Plushenko's Bol On Ice, on May 9, 2020.
https://www.facebook.com/ArtistiCoM...FQIwhZoqMSXlPNKw48lAQCmwZ0af_Ft1pjA&__tn__=-R
Another show. No surprise. This summer will be busier than last year.:slink:
Nathan said he wanted to find more time for himself.:disapp:
I know he can balance well. Less than a month with Raf last summer, he looks amazing so far. But God knows what he will turn out if he spent more time with raf.

Besides, maybe more serieous-choreographed show programs? Now Skating fans go to the show mainly because of nathan the person/ champion. But after the competitive career, it is the PROGRAMS that attracts them to the show.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
He’s doing fewer US Stars on Ice shows this year, which would usually take place when he will be performing in the European show. I expect him to have his usual busy schedule of summer shows!

Less intense training right now is a good thing. The Olympics are still two years out - I think that if he were to go all out in training for years and years going towards 2022, that would be too much.

sheetz

Record Breaker

wintersmith

Rinkside

Why cant I hear what he's saying. Switch places with Adam? What?

Nathan to appear in his first European ice show, Plushenko's Bol On Ice, on May 9, 2020.
https://www.facebook.com/ArtistiCoM...FQIwhZoqMSXlPNKw48lAQCmwZ0af_Ft1pjA&__tn__=-R
Oh dear, I went to the ticket page and so much Italian. Help! Does anyone know if someone else carries the tickets?

sheetz

Record Breaker
It's cute that he and Adam can still have such a good relationship. I'm sure that Nathan prefers his own life to Adam's, however.

Translation of a section from Japanese article about GPF:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7GZmiRpj_0/
In order to make a perfect five quad jump in the Grand Prix Final, it was necessary to reconsider the structure of the entire program and focus on how each jump can save physical and mental energy.

Rafael Arutyunyan, Chen's coach, was trying to stop him from doing five quad jumps until his quad salchow stabilized. And at the end of the SP, there was a difference of more than 12 points, so there was no need to take any risks.

However, Chen boldly challenged the "5 quads". As a result, out of the 108 GOE scores given by the nine judges, 19 items received +5 points and 45 items received +4 points, and he has won three consecutive victories with the highest score in the world.”

Tahuu

On the Ice
Why cant I hear what he's saying. Switch places with Adam? What?

Oh dear, I went to the ticket page and so much Italian. Help! Does anyone know if someone else carries the tickets?

Use Google Chrome with Google Translate you may be able to buy tickets online at https://www.ticketone.it/bol-on-ice...495591&jumpIn=yTix&kuid=563904&from=erdetaila. On the webpage there is a tab Buy through "Choice in Plan" and it gives you the arena seat map showing available seats and prices. (ETA, you can use the dial on your mouse to magnify the seat map so you may choose the exact seat you want.)

Tahuu

On the Ice
The Japanese magazine 文藝春秋 had an interview with Nathan after the GPF. Only half of the article is free to read.

Some Google translate:

On the campus, I was training like "I have 45 minutes of ice (of the hockey rink) today, but do you want to use it?"

Skating practice is 6 days a week, usually 2-3 hours a day.

.... However, my classmates also belong to college sports teams, belong to organizations that deal with environmental issues, and are quite busy doing activities other than studying. Everyone has a balance between academic and other activities. I'm not the only one in a special position, so I have to work hard.

Since I started studying at Yale University, a new world has opened up. In some parts of the world, skating isn't everything.

In the past, I was heading for the game with a strong desire to win. .... However, I've recently found that inspiring me like that is not my personality (laughs). The more the fighting spirit is brought to the fore, the more difficult it is to control the body by feelings spinning.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Some key points from the interview:

--It motivates him when there's a strong rival in a competition, otherwise it can get a little boring.
--When Yuzu is there Nathan approaches the competition differently and the pressure is exciting to him.
--Although his training time in California was short, he felt it was greatly beneficial to be there with his coaches and training mates.
--Since he spent more time skating than studying as a child he finds college to be tougher than skating.
--He was taking 3 courses last semester (Online classes again this summer, Nathan? :laugh: ) which took up about 10 hours per week. Skates 6 days per week, 2-3 hrs per day.
--Still wants to be a doctor, and plans on doing postbac coursework before medical school, which should take 1-2 years.
--80% of the students know nothing about figure skating. He understands that there are more important things than figure skating and would like to contribute something meaningful to society.
--Finds that he's not like Yuzu who performs well even with the absolute desire to win. Instead he tries to enjoy his skating and remember that it's not the end of the world if he makes mistakes.
--He believes that skaters are capable of even more difficult jumps.

sheetz

Record Breaker