NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass

MintGreen

On the Ice
The figure skating video archives are back! Or have they always been there? Today I signed in to my NBC gold account, and to my great surprise, I found all the past competition coverages were actually available to watch. Give it a try folks! BTW, I have the auto renewal option on in my account. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Makemi

Rinkside
The figure skating video archives are back! Or have they always been there? Today I signed in to my NBC gold account, and to my great surprise, I found all the past competition coverages were actually available to watch. Give it a try folks! BTW, I have the auto renewal option on in my account. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Oh my goodness thank you! I can confirm that everything is working now. I was going batty not being able to access the archive. Many thanks to everyone who wrote in, it seems they took the feedback to heart! (Added note: Seems my card wasn't charged so doesn't look like they've decided on a new price package yet).

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
NBC just sent an email indicating there won’t be an NBC Sports Gold package this season. In the US, there will be figure skating coverage on something called Peacock Premium for 4.99 per month.

It also said access to archive videos for current subscribers will be available until December 31, 2020.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread in sharing information. :love2: A special thanks to everyone who contacted NBC during the days when we were wondering what happened to the archival content and what was going on. NBC should have been more forthcoming and transparent about their plans, especially for subscribers with auto-renew wondering about the possibility of money being taken from our bank accounts (without knowledge of when or how much)! Even if they were still working things out, they could have done a much better job of keeping us informed of where they were at in negotiations/plans, and especially NOT removing our access to previous content!

By enough fans writing to NBC and questioning the situation of cutting us off precipitously, that is probably why the previous content was restored. We paid for it and we should continue to have access, especially those of us who are auto-renew subscribers. I don't think our access should terminate after December 31, 2020 either. The past content should be removed to an accessible platform, either on Peacock or on U.S. Figure Skating Fan zone. I plan to write to both NBC and U.S. figure skating about preserving subscribers' access to former content on an accessible platform. I hope other fans will send the same message to both NBC and U.S. figure skating.

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate the great benefits of keeping each other informed!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Peacock is owned by Xfinity
Is Xfinity part of NBC? Has U.S. figure skating included any information on their website for skating fans about this new NBC coverage access/ subscription plan change? They should, since they have surely been involved in the negotiations.

Here's a link to the information on the new Peacock coverage/ NBCGold subscription plan termination:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
NBC just sent an email indicating there won’t be an NBC Sports Gold package this season. In the US, there will be figure skating coverage on something called Peacock Premium for 4.99 per month.

It also said access to archive videos for current subscribers will be available until December 31, 2020.

Thanks for the information. That per month figure calculates to $59.88 per year. I suppose for that amount, only figure skating is offered, or are there additional benefits? I still have to check out all the details. Thanks again for sharing.

ETA:
Okay, I see the basic Peacock streaming plan for $4.99 per month includes sports coverage (with figure skating), movies and television shows with ads, then they have something called Peacock premium for $9.99 per month, without ads. At least for the nearly $60 per year, we will get more for our money. I wonder how they will be handling access to replays of figure skating events (i.e., whether or not past events will be reasonably or indefinitely archived)?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Has U.S. figure skating included any information on their website for skating fans about this new NBC coverage access/ subscription plan change? They should, since they have surely been involved in the negotiations. ...

The answer is Yes, of course.
As of yesterday (same day as its e-mail to @Fireplace7890, USFS immediately started shouting from all its online rooftops about Peacock's upcoming coverage.

USFS published its full press release both on usfigureskating.org and usfigureskatingfanzone.com -- and added links to Peacock all over the place.
USFS social media platforms have been promoting the Peacock news, and I have no doubt that they will continue to do so.

... That per month figure calculates to $59.88 per year. ...

Peacock also offers one-year options of $49.99 with ads and $99.99 without ads.

... I wonder how they will be handling access to replays of figure skating events (i.e., whether or not past events will be reasonably or indefinitely archived)?

Good question, which interests me too.
AFAIK, the duration of archiving has not been specified.

I have seen only this brief reference to on-demand:
"Peacock Premium will feature select live event coverage as well as on-demand replay coverage of figure skating throughout the season."

Last edited:

elliana

On the Ice
I really hope the quality will be better than what we've seen on the fan zone. I need names and honestly the jump layouts cuz I can't recognize jumps.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The answer is Yes, of course.
As of yesterday (same day as its e-mail to @Fireplace7890, USFS immediately started shouting from all its online rooftops about Peacock's upcoming coverage.

USFS published its full press release both on usfigureskating.org and usfigureskatingfanzone.com -- and added links to Peacock all over the place.
USFS social media platforms have been promoting the Peacock news, and I have no doubt that they will continue to do so.

Peacock also offers one-year options of $49.99 with ads and $99.99 without ads.

Good question, which interests me too.
AFAIK, the duration of archiving has not been specified.

I have seen only this brief reference to on-demand:
"Peacock Premium will feature select live event coverage as well as on-demand replay coverage of figure skating throughout the season."
I had to work with Roku to get my streaming stick to show "Peacock" but doing a reset worked and now for $10 a month, I have Premium no ad. The only event up there at this time is SA 2019 but its as advertised. On demand no commercials...skip forward if you want. Quality is excelleent.After worlds I will probably cancel until next year as I dont watch TV hardly at all but there is lots of content if you have time for TV.
BTW, if you have never hiked and camped in the 5 Utah National parks, I highly reccommend them. A friend and I rode down there for two weeks. Awesome to just sit around the camps and watch the rising and setting sun and the moonlight on the formations....Valley of the Kings.

Attachments

• a gs compostie.jpg
    a gs compostie.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 42

Makemi

Rinkside
So I decided to sign up for Peacock's 7-day trial, the $4.99 one (with ads) just to see what it's like. I can confirm that all of Skate America 2019 has been loaded (but just Skate America). Looks like the ads pop up where you would have commercial breaks on a TV broadcast. Not sure how that will play out for a live stream. The Skate America 2019 footage loaded is the same one on NBC Sports Gold, so it had the Terry, Johnny, and Tara commentary because NBC was really trying to push sign-ups for the Figure Skating Pass back then.

My guess is it will be the same as last season- commentary for Skate America because NBC will want everyone to sign-up for Peacock but no commentary for other comps (whatever those might be).

As for NBC Sports Gold the archive will be available till Dec. 31. I HOPE they migrate the rest of the archive over, but seeing as everything on Ice Network went AWOL I'm quite nervous.

DC2003

Rinkside
Seems like we have more questions unanswered than answered officially by NBC:
  • Will Peacock air each event in its entirety or just show a few select skaters like what is aired on one of the NBC networks? Since Ice Network, I have watched all my figure skating online (except the Olympics, of course) since each event is complete and I can choose to watch as much or as little as I choose. (The lack of commentary can be both a good and bad thing!) And, you are not beholden to a TV schedule or remembering to record anything.
  • How quickly will on-demand coverage be available after each event streams live?
  • How much can we control the events we view? Can we fast forward or rewind as we were able to do on NBC Sports Gold and Ice Network? (I don't need to watch a Zamboni resurface the ice!)
  • How intrusive will the commercials be if you select that plan? I recall watching one of the Olympic events online after it aired on TV and at least one commercial would stream after each time I would fast forward. That got annoying very quickly and I resorted to recording everything off TV instead. Worse, this could be like free YouTube. You are in the middle of watching something and a commercial just randomly interrupts. I can see it now - some skater will be in the middle of a jump and a commercial will stream before s/he lands!
  • Will there be an archive of events that took place prior to this season at some point? NBC Sports Gold will take us through the end of 2020. What happens 1/1/21? If there is an archive, will it remain available once the season concludes?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ You have outlined excellent queries. Hopefully, a number of fans will contact NBC and U.S. figure skating so that we can receive answers, the better to understand what we are purchasing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^^ You have outlined excellent queries. Hopefully, a number of fans will contact NBC and U.S. figure skating so that we can receive answers, the better to understand what we are purchasing.
The good thing is that if I dont get my $10 a month worth for 6 months max, I can cancel anytime and watch NBC over the air broadcast, which of course is very limited. What I expect is the full event...every skate...on demand, for the GP circuit. I would expect the entire season to be archived for the length of the season. It would be nice if there is no commentary...unless it's Ted. Since Peacock is evidently an NBC product, there would be no issue legally to have available on demand all the events that have been covered by NBC. Whether we shall see that is another matter.

DC2003

Rinkside
So, how did Peacock do this weekend for Skate America? Anything else loaded there yet from prior to this season?

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I subscribed to Peacock for the Premier League and World Cup skiing.

To my own amazement and shock, after they added the skating package, I’ve watched all the ladies’ events they have streamed.

I came for the Prem and skiing, and stayed for the skating.

Crazy thing is that I haven’t watched skating since the days of Katerina Witt and the Nancy/Tanya/Oksana fiasco.

Man, 13 year old me loved Katarina. Haha

I stayed up all night recently trying to figure out how this new scoring works. You need a degree in advanced mathematics it seems. Einstein would have quit trying to decipher this system.