need blade advice | Golden Skate

need blade advice

ttcsvcl

Rinkside
Hi, i’ve been skating for a year with the blades that came w my boots. I’m currently working on the lutz and probably gonna start on the axel soon, also i really struggled w spins for a while but i’ve finally started getting somewhere.

Like everyone else im not sure if I should go with the CAs or MK Pros, I need a blade that will help with my spins more than anything, I constantly fall out of them or can't centre them. My jumps are pretty solid so im not afraid of them being affected much. Idk what else to talk about but I can answer any questions.

Any help is appreciated!!

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Standard CA’s all the way. Should help to improve your spins.

If you’re unable to get the standard CA, as there is supply issues right now, the MK Pro’s are always an option.

I have a thread about this on my account if you’re interested!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hi, i’ve been skating for a year with the blades that came w my boots. I’m currently working on the lutz and probably gonna start on the axel soon, also i really struggled w spins for a while but i’ve finally started getting somewhere.

Like everyone else im not sure if I should go with the CAs or MK Pros, I need a blade that will help with my spins more than anything, I constantly fall out of them or can't centre them. My jumps are pretty solid so im not afraid of them being affected much. Idk what else to talk about but I can answer any questions.

You'd be fine in either. I prefer MKs spin rocker, personally, so....

Elija

On the Ice
You'd be fine in either. I prefer MKs spin rocker, personally, so....
Agree. I didn’t like CA for spinning personally. I currently have mk phantom and have not worn mk pro, but my understanding from friends that do is that they’re a good spinning blade and a little better than CA for spinning. Not saying CA is a bad blade or not good for spinning, just that my understanding is mk pro is slightly better (and possibly easier to get at the moment? Not sure).

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They’re long overdue for a change but the Jackson Elles w/ the Mirage blade
Just to clarify: Are you planning to keep your existing boots and swap out the blades? Or have you already decided on new boots?

ttcsvcl

Rinkside
Just to clarify: Are you planning to keep your existing boots and swap out the blades? Or have you already decided on new boots?
My coach said the boots can last me for a few more months so i’ll swap out the blades for now but will also replace the boots in around september/october

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My coach said the boots can last me for a few more months so i’ll swap out the blades for now but will also replace the boots in around september/october
Jackson Elle aren't boots for lutz and axel if you're an adult.

I would also counsel against just getting new blades to fit the Elles, because when you come to change those - ideally with the assistance of a reputable fitter - you may well find that the lovely new blades don't fit the new boots.

As to the choice of blades, Coronation Ace or MK Professional are the best ones, but there is currently a shortage of both so the next best thing would be Legacy 7. Moving from Mirage, you'll probably be more than happy with the Legacy 7s for a fair while, although it may well be more sensible to wait until you want to change your boots as well.

ttcsvcl

Rinkside

I would also counsel against just getting new blades to fit the Elles, because when you come to change those - ideally with the assistance of a reputable fitter - you may well find that the lovely new blades don't fit the new boots.

As to the choice of blades, Coronation Ace or MK Professional are the best ones, but there is currently a shortage of both so the next best thing would be Legacy 7. Moving from Mirage, you'll probably be more than happy with the Legacy 7s for a fair while, although it may well be more sensible to wait until you want to change your boots as well.

I was also planning on changing my boots intially to Risport Rf3 Pros but after my coach told me my current ones could last me a bit longer i wasn’t sure, but i agree with you i feel like it’s definitely time to change my boots. I’ll have to discuss it with him again today.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was also planning on changing my boots intially to Risport Rf3 Pros but after my coach told me my current ones could last me a bit longer i wasn’t sure, but i agree with you i feel like it’s definitely time to change my boots. I’ll have to discuss it with him again today.
Please make sure you have a reputable fitter and that Risports actually work with your foot shape and needs before you get them.

LinaRise

Spectator
Unpopular opinion about coronation ace blade. I had a lite version of them, they really helped with my turns and etc. But jumping and spinning on them was awful...

I' ve never felt secure on landings with them and when a started to learn axel on ice it became even worse, can't remember how many times I basically fell because the blade slipped to the heel.

It was awful to spin on them. I don't know why, almost everyone in my group wear coronation ace (not lite) and they were fine. After half a year it came to that I was no longer able to do scratch spin on my left foot for more than 2 circlels. Although I am not a good spinner at all and don't like them too this was a huge downgrade.

I guess the rocker didn't work for me.

It was actually very disappoing. I even got thoughts that it's something wrong with me as everyone has only positive experience with them(

ttcsvcl

Rinkside
Unpopular opinion about coronation ace blade. I had a lite version of them, they really helped with my turns and etc. But jumping and spinning on them was awful...

I' ve never felt secure on landings with them and when a started to learn axel on ice it became even worse, can't remember how many times I basically fell because the blade slipped to the heel.

It was awful to spin on them. I don't know why, almost everyone in my group wear coronation ace (not lite) and they were fine. After half a year it came to that I was no longer able to do scratch spin on my left foot for more than 2 circlels. Although I am not a good spinner at all and don't like them too this was a huge downgrade.

It was actually very disappoing. I even got thoughts that it's something wrong with me as everyone has only positive experience with them(
Did you end up switching? How did you find the difference?

LinaRise

Spectator
Did you end up switching? How did you find the difference?
Yeah, just recently switched to matrix supreme. It's only been up to 10 hours on ice with them and it's a huge upgrade. But I already live them:

1. Despite everyone said that matrix spin rocker is flat I found it for now the best I had ever used. I was able to make decent scratch spins on both foot (my scratch spin on right is kinda always been was awful and unstable), left was fine! However, sit spin is something I still try to figure out.
2.Landings from jumps are far more stable and solid.
3.The toe pick for toe pick jumps is love
4. When I did crossovers, twizzles on coronation ace I always hit the toe pick for more than I should. With matrix it was immediately gone.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hence the reason why myself and other experts suggest traditional standard Coronation Ace instead of lite.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

You are by no means the first person to say this. Traditional Coronation Ace are almost universally popular; the Lite version are a different ball game and I could never recommend them.

Lucie

Rinkside
Standard CA’s all the way. Should help to improve your spins.

If you’re unable to get the standard CA, as there is supply issues right now, the MK Pro’s are always an option.

I have a thread about this on my account if you’re interested!
Current supply situation with Mk pro is even worse than CA

Vladik

On the Ice
Current supply situation with Mk pro is even worse than CA
I see. Legacy 7’s and Paramount CA are always options then, besides, they’re not having any supply issues I’m aware of. Shame that the wait for CA is 20 weeks.

ttcsvcl

Rinkside
It's taken me so long to come back to this thread but everything has been so busy and I haven't had time.

I ended up doing a virtual fitting with skatersedge (there's not many good fitters in my city) and was told that my boots are a size bigger than they should be. I was recommended the Jackson Premieres and I'm going to go to a try them on in my recommend size before purchasing but I think I'll go with those (I'm still exploring so feel free to give me any recommendations, I have wide feet so my best bet in terms of brand is Jackson)

Since my original post, I've landed the lutz (now I'm just refining it) and am working on the backspin and camel/sit. I'm not sure when I'll start working on the axel but it will be soon. Also I forgot to mention that I weigh around ~60kg and skate around 3/4hrs a week, can anyone estimate how long these boots might last me? (For reference, I got the Elles exactly one year ago).

Last edited:

mollymoo1608

Spectator

Coronation ace are great for spins and jumps up to doubles but there are supply issues right now so I would recommend Jackson Ultima Legacy 7. I’ve just changed to these from CA and they are pretty much the same just a lot lighter and my spins are much faster. The man at the skate shop recommended them as they are almost identical to CA.