New JW blades | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New JW blades

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The key information that I got from my tech yesterday:
  • Can be sharpened on most normal jigs.
  • Phoenix and Traditional are the same price.
  • No differences in rocker from the P99/Gold Seal, although since all JW blades are made by hand, there will be slight variant in rocker between all their blades.
  • They were EXTREMELY light. Holding a 10 1/2 P99 and 10 1/2 Phoenix 99, the Phoenix felt like literally nothing in my hand and made the P99 feel extremely heavy.
  • The Phoenix 99 does not have a tapered bottom pick and the stanchions have been raised.
  • The Phoenix Gold has the Gold Seal PROFILE but does not retain the tapering and side honing.
  • Stainless steel runner means that sharpening will last longer but some sharpening equipment cannot handle stainless steel.

Elija

On the Ice
Not true. At least where I am.
Seem to be about $100 more than regular gold seal/p99 in my local shop too. Not too much I guess when we’re talking about $7-800 blades (NZD). And cheaper than eclipse- my local shop is really pushing the eclipse blades at the moment, almost everyone at the rink with new blades has eclipse, and for some reason they are even more expensive than Wilson/mk - like $800-900. I thought overseas people bought them cause they were a cheaper version, but could be wrong.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Seem to be about $100 more than regular gold seal/p99 in my local shop too. Not too much I guess when we’re talking about $7-800 blades (NZD). And cheaper than eclipse- my local shop is really pushing the eclipse blades at the moment, almost everyone at the rink with new blades has eclipse, and for some reason they are even more expensive than Wilson/mk - like $800-900. I thought overseas people bought them cause they were a cheaper version, but could be wrong.
Eclipse has a flatter rocker than Gold Seal and P99, and that is why I suggest that people don't buy them if they have a choice. Because when they do buy them you see them complaining they can't spin right.

Elija

On the Ice
Eclipse has a flatter rocker than Gold Seal and P99, and that is why I suggest that people don't buy them if they have a choice. Because when they do buy them you see them complaining they can't spin right.
Are the eclipse cheaper in North America than Wilson equivalent? That’s why I don’t quite understand why people are buying them here when the original that they’re designed off is actually cheaper.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are the eclipse cheaper in North America than Wilson equivalent? That’s why I don’t quite understand why people are buying them here when the original that they’re designed off is actually cheaper.
For the super advanced competitive Eclipse blades they are about $200/250-300 dollars cheaper than top level JW blades, depending where you buy them.