Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brennan is the one reporting the evidence of misconduct with which one can make a proper judgement.

How can one make proper judgement with a newspaper article? Surely Safesport will do more than read a newspaper article while doing their investigation? More people may even be involved, we don't know.

katymay

Medalist
Mentioning presumption of innocence is not "victim blaming". There was a line used in this thread:

"If Cipres, Zimmerman, Fontana and the third coach are innocent of these allegations, well, they're grown adults. They'll survive, one way or another."

So, let's imagine a situation in which truly innocent person is blamed publicly, his name turns into a muck, his career is completely destroyed and at the end they will say to him "sorry, it turned out you are innocent, but you are grown adult, deal with it." No, thanks.

If he and the coaches are guilty, then they deserve harsh punisment. But that's the matter of the police and justice, not the public outcry. We are proud of civilization, but people still tend to live in times of lynch law.

Exactly. No one is victim blaming. But I prefer to wait until a thorough investigation is conducted before I make a judgement as to the actions of all involved. And given the source (Brennan), I would especially caution people to wait for the facts to emerge. And as a PS-years ago my coach (now deceased) got drunk at Midwesterns and attempted to sexually assault both me and my mother in our hotel room. I am extremely sympathetic to sexual abuse in sports. BUT, before lives and careers are ruined, let those in charge conduct and complete an investigation.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think, too, that Zimmerman and Fontana were considering their financial loss if they lost Cipres and James as students. Having medal winners like them attracts other students, raises your profile in the coaching world, as well as your rates.

And allowing sexual abuse makes you have no career, no students, no anything. So I don't understand why they would think like that unless they really believed they would not get caught. And if they didn't report because of money, that is really sickening. I'd rather teach snowplow than coach elite athletes for more money because I encouraged a child to not report to authorities some abuse that the child says happened.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do adults enjoy hurting kids? Why does the bigger one like to hurt the small one? Honestly, what's so satisfying in hurting someone that is weaker than you? Why can't I understand humans?

I think most of us can't understand because we are normal and would not act/enjoy acting like this.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was pretty stunned to hear this news earlier today. I believe John and Silvia are parents and I just can't understand any parent telling a 13-year old not to report this...

Neither can I. They should have at least had a meeting with the athlete's parents and let them decide whether to report the incident.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
This is all disgusting. Sexual harassment, trying to cover up everything and threatening children! Silvia and John have children of their own and didn't they think even for a second how would they feel if it happened to THEIR daughter?!

Telling girls to send their messages to Morgan was part of cover up so it would look like they asked for pictures. Also apparently it isn't a whole story as some more sensitive parts has been left from article

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Neither can I. They should have at least had a meeting with the athlete's parents and let them decide whether to report the incident.

No! Pertinently not.

The sending of D pics by an adult to a 13 year old in itself is a prosecutable offense. The harassment, intimidation and threats on her career, wellbeing and perhaps even life that allegedly followed are a more serious crime in my opinion. The victim and her parents and legal counsellors can only hope their evidence of these threats is solid enough.

A meeting to smooth things over won't do the case any good at all and might even embolden the perpetrator(s) to continue on another child once they've silenced this child and driven her away.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was unpleasant to wake up to, to say the least.

Reading this thread wasn't exactly fun either. Some really gross comments in here.

Christine Brennan honestly ought to receive some kind of award. Her tireless work in bringing these issues to light needs to be appreciated.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
This was unpleasant to wake up to, to say the least.

Reading this thread wasn't exactly fun either. Some really gross comments in here.

Christine Brennan honestly ought to receive some kind of award. Her tireless work in bringing these issues to light needs to be appreciated.

Agree on all parts of your post especially the last.

Sickening to see apologists already rearing their heads across forums and social media as well as those who think this shouldn't be reported on because it makes the sport look bad.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Apparently there’s way more to the story, and the article was just scratching the surface...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Apparently there’s way more to the story, and the article was just scratching the surface...

There probably is, but this so far is the only information we have.

Once things get into motion, others might come forward, and a whole cesspool might be disclosed.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My goodness, this is terrible. I thought it was new development in Wagner’s case, but ouch. Disgrace...

P44

On the Ice
There are now a lot of articles in french.
According to this one : https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/patinage/patinage-artistique-morgan-cipres-accuse-de-harcelement-sexuel
His press officer said "The French Federation manages the situation with him, he took a lawyer and he doesn't intend to let himself be done" but he "didn't confirm the opening of an investigation".
And Didier Gailhaguet (president of the French federation) said he had nothing to report on this topic at this point.

Somebody asked about this but yes the french federation knows about it (since when, I don't know).

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Once things get into motion, others might come forward, and a whole cesspool might be disclosed.

This, I'm afraid, is very probable. The majority of abusers are serial abusers and not one-time offenders or people who 'made a mistake', and it is comparatively rare for the first victim who speaks out to be their first and only victim.

The alleged dereliction of duty by Zimmerman and Fontana here is agonising. As mandatory reports we are our students' first line of defence and protection and our job is to put them first; the betrayal of that principle in what they're alleged to have done is beyond belief.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is all disgusting. Sexual harassment, trying to cover up everything and threatening children! Silvia and John have children of their own and didn't they think even for a second how would they feel if it happened to THEIR daughter?!

Telling girls to send their messages to Morgan was part of cover up so it would look like they asked for pictures. Also apparently it isn't a whole story as some more sensitive parts has been left from article

I don't think Zimmerman and Fontana have any kids but even if they do this is wrong on so many grounds. However, as much as I am into safe sport for everyone and no harssment and discrimination I do believe you are innocent until proven guilty. \even if Zimmerman and Fontana are cleared of any wrong doing - their lives maybe destroyed or at least careers/jobs. Even though OJ Simpson was found not guilty based upon available and admissible evidence his career was destroyed. Just like Jessie Smollet and even if Lori Loughiln and Mossimo are found not guilty it will cost them probably their careers, good names, reputations and marketability.

Even if they are guilty I hope what happened to John Coughlin doesn't happen here. Interesting reading these comments more people are outraged with Jon and Sylvia rather than Morgan. I will be curious to see how this affects Vanessa and Morgan if at all.