OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold | Page 9 | Golden Skate

OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Margot Robbie?

Surely one might think that Margot has already done her skating movie? ;)

(I'm not a big one for wink-wink, nudge nudge, say no more, so if that is what you meant, I apologize).

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Surely one might think that Margot has already done her skating movie? ;)

(I'm not a big one for wink-wink, nudge nudge, say no more, so if that is what you meant, I apologize).

Margot is a very skilled actress, so would be able to portray Gracie in an entirely different way than the other one. But maybe two actresses — Margot for the Gracie from 2016 to now & a younger one for early-days flashbacks.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited to see if it moves up the bestseller list. When do the lists come out?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm excited to see if it moves up the bestseller list. When do the lists come out?

Gracie's book originally was #11 on the NYT Hardcover Nonfiction bestseller list (of top 15) that was dated Feb 25, 2024.

Gracie's book is not on the following week's list, which is dated Mar 3 and which is already available online.
"A version of this Best Sellers report appears in the March 3, 2024 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings on weekly lists reflect sales for the week ending February 17, 2024."

Publication date for Gracie's book was Feb 6, and I would guess that all pre-orders over many preceding months would have counted toward sales for the NYT list dated Feb 25, as well as "new" sales thru Feb 10.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie's book originally was #11 on the NYT Hardcover Nonfiction bestseller list (of top 15) that was dated Feb 25, 2024.

Gracie's book is not on the following week's list, which is dated Mar 3 and which is already available online.
"A version of this Best Sellers report appears in the March 3, 2024 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings on weekly lists reflect sales for the week ending February 17, 2024."

Publication date for Gracie's book was Feb 6, and I would guess that all pre-orders over many preceding months would have counted toward sales for the NYT list dated Feb 25, as well as "new" sales thru Feb 10.
Well phooey. Thank you.

RobinA

On the Ice
You know more important than Gracie being an "agent of change", helping others, I just hope Gracie can heal, learn who she is and what she really wants and move on. It is just my opinion she doesn't express or show the joy she once had in skating. Does she know she is loved even without a world medal? Does she know she is worth something without skating? Since her challenges since 2016 it appeared for whatever reason she had a need to stay relevant or in the limelight or public eye. But I want her to know take care of yourself first. I get it for some talking it out ie a book or speaking out is helpful brings healing but poor Gracie for whatever reason has never in the last 8 years really taken the time away from the media, the prying eyes of the public. I hope Gracie knows it that people want her healthy and happy and while skating may always be part of her life in some form we still appreciate her as a person and a skater. Maybe she needs to work a Burger King or Walmart and see life away from the ice. Nothing will change that she was a brilliant skater of her day.

I agree with you. Ever since Gracie made her first "comeback" I've felt that she needs to be away from skating. Completely. Give college or a job a try. Make friends who don't have any expectations. Do something new. Skating, among other things, makes her sick. She needs a fresh start.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Gracie will star in the movie herself? I wonder what theme song they could use? On My Own from Les mis? Never Enough from the greatest showman? Eye of the Tiger? Chariots of Fire? Whitney Houston's One Moment in Time? I can go the Distance? The Final Countdown? She could play her twin sister Carly and win an Academy Award for the duo role.

Country
Norway
I finished the book today. I ordered in on paper, to my excitement I could buy it on a Norwegian online bookstore. I suspect they needed to wait for the book to come from outside Norway because it took some days before the book was shipped, but I finally got it my hands.

This is really a good book worth reading. All though with all the dark parts, I still enjoyed to read it, because of all the humor in between. I learned so much about Gracie I didn´t know, particular the part of her personality being a spitfire as she several times called herself. I guess the image they painted of her as the ice princess really was convincing since I had no idea her personality was so different. I really much enjoyed learning that side about her and I like her even more now. I also found it fascinating to learn about her relationship with her twin Carly, and i´m sad to read about the family issue, but it explained a lot. Despite all the bad things happening, Gracie reflected so well upon it. She had such care and good thoughts about coaches and other people around her that maybe should have acted different, but a understanding behind it. I was surprised to find out that Frank wasn´t that bad after all, they were just distanced. Even the US jacket in the trash had en explanation, Gracie had snapped to him that he could throw it in the trash for all the she cared.

I feel like the book ended in a good way, Gracie really seems to be in a good place, i´m happy she found love both with James, the cat and at the rink with coaching and Road to Gold-seminars. It´s so nice to hear she get so many feedbacks from people saying that her talking about mental health has helped them and that it´s make a difference. It seems she really was in a good place with skating last season, but the hip injury stopped her, but an injury which they finally figured out. I hope she will try for one more season, because it seems she is in the right place now and healthy. But if not, it seems like she has a bright future as coach.

Last edited:

meem

On the Ice
I'm glad I read her book as now I know why I (regrettably now) didn't care for her during her competitive days. She always came across (to me) as an ice queen. I didn't know it was actually Gracie frantically keeping herself glued together, trying so hard to present herself as a strong, happy competitor. It's tough enough growing up as a competitor--when kids really need a supportive family. It was sad reading about her emotionally unhealthy family situation. It looks like Gracie can/will have a very positive effect on figure skating's young athletes (probably is already doing so).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well phooey. Thank you.
That's pretty good sales figures for hardback nonfiction! Remember most people in the US don't follow skating - I imagine Nathan Chen's book had the same problem there, especially with the plethora of books on sport published - and a lot of casual readers will go for kindle. If they can sell it for film or TV, that will also bring in more profit and sales down the line of course.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Apologies that my previous post did not cover NYT Combined Print & E-Book Nonfiction bestseller list.
Adding for the sake of completeness:

Gracie's book debuted at #14 on the NYT Combined Print & E-Book Nonfiction bestseller list (of top 15) that was dated Feb 25, 2024.

Gracie's book is not on the following week's Combined Print & E-Book Nonfiction list, which is dated Mar 3.

(I am not trying to diminish that appearing on the NYT lists was good news, regardless of longevity.)

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you. Ever since Gracie made her first "comeback" I've felt that she needs to be away from skating. Completely. Give college or a job a try. Make friends who don't have any expectations. Do something new. Skating, among other things, makes her sick. She needs a fresh start.
She says she wants to be involved with skating. I don't know why she can't be trusted to know what she wants.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I agree with this sentiment 100%. Gracie is not asking me for my advice. She is not seeking my approval. She is not inviting me to comment on what she might have done differently or on how she ought to feel about this or that.

On the other hand it's clear that when you put your biography out there people will comment on your very personal life. I think it's fair to do this, as long as it does not cross borders.

icewhite

Record Breaker
simply commenting is one thing, thinking you know what is best for her is another thing.

Well, I don't think it crosses a line though. That's really a difficult line to draw sometimes - but in general I think that people who are putting themselves out there on purpose should be able to deal with such comments: people who know better, people who think you should have done better... If you are not prepared for that or not willing to accept that such comments will be made (doesn't mean you have to agree with them or like them) you should avoid publishing your biography. I am sure GG knew that would come and was ready to take it. Of course readers will have an opinion on your life. 🤷‍♀️

macy

Record Breaker
Well, I don't think it crosses a line though. That's really a difficult line to draw sometimes - but in general I think that people who are putting themselves out there on purpose should be able to deal with such comments: people who know better, people who think you should have done better... If you are not prepared for that or not willing to accept that such comments will be made (doesn't mean you have to agree with them or like them) you should avoid publishing your biography. I am sure GG knew that would come and was ready to take it. Of course readers will have an opinion on your life. 🤷‍♀️
i'm not sure the question is about whether Gracie cares if people talk about her or if she thinks others should/should not comment on her life- i think she is smart and mature enough to know people will talk because she is in the public eye. at this point, i don't think she cares and does not place value in those comments much, especially negative ones. rather, i think the issue lies more in that it's not really appropriate and is a bit out of line for some of us to think we have the right to say what they think is best for her when we don't know her, and when she has made it quite clear in her book she knows what is best for herself and has the ability to determine that. given everything she has been through and the growth and healing she has done, it's a bit disrespectful in my eyes. i trust Gracie and only Gracie knows what is best for herself.