Pacific Coast Sectionals, 17-20. Nov., 2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pacific Coast Sectionals, 17-20. Nov., 2016

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Whoa. Livvy Shilling, who has never made it out of Sectionals (made it to Junior Nationals ONCE back when it was a separate event for Juvenile and intermediate) has put herself into the picture with a 58.79!

Wow. Hopefully she can deliver a successful FS!

Livvy looked like a true performer, looked very comfortable and dang near every move was with the music, job well done for today!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oooh, Junior Ladies looks like the FS is going to be a battle.

1) Kaitlyn Nguyen, 58.45
2) Starr Andrews, 55.12
3) Nina Ouellette, 55.11
4) Sierra Venetta, 54.11
5) Elizaveta Kulik, 53.14

And there's also a bunch of skaters in the high 40's who could climb up.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Almost like Nationals with these scores and performances, another interesting setup for the FS. Some solid skating and it's only a Sectionals event. Fun stuff.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's on Ice Network and I doubt anyone is streaming it elsewhere.

Both Starr and Kaitlyn struggled a bit...nice to see Liza Kulik do pretty well, but it remains to be seen if she ends up in the top 4.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Both Starr and Kaitlyn struggled a bit...nice to see Liza Kulik do pretty well, but it remains to be seen if she ends up in the top 4.

True but both of those 2 are qualified for sure, at least. It's going to be very close for Liza.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
True but both of those 2 are qualified for sure, at least. It's going to be very close for Liza.

Oh yeah it's not a question they woudl qualify -- but more that Kaitlyn can skate better. Starr is clearly still working on the lutz and flip -- which she'll need to be competitive internationally.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oh yeah it's not a question they woudl qualify -- but more that Kaitlyn can skate better. Starr is clearly still working on the lutz and flip -- which she'll need to be competitive internationally.

I was more trying to reference that given how close it was in the SP, it's lucky their struggles didn't take them out of it.

ETA:

Nina Ouelette is now qualified. Comes down to whether Sierra Venetta can maintain her very slight 0.97 point lead on Liza Kulik. One fall could make a big difference.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Liza qualifies!!! Yay. :)

That means we get to see Daddy Illa Kulik at the boards at nationals. :)

frida80

Record Breaker

I'm happy that all these girls did as well as they did in both Colorado Springs and in Salt Lake City. The Altitude is terrible in both places! Kansas City will be easier to compete at 900 feet.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I attended Pacific Coast Sectionals yesterday. Angela Wang's short program is lovely. To "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". She looked great and the program suits her beautifully. Her coach, Christy Krall, mentioned to us how she had missed all her internationals this year because of an injury in August and this was her first skate of the year - very frustrating for her. It was the highlight of the competition.

Caroline Zhang also had a very good skate to "Dying Swan?" Not perfect, but darn good - smooth and polished. They were the class of the field in our eyes.

If anyone gets a chance to watch them on icenetwork, it's worth the time and trouble. I haven't been able to find anything on youtube or anywhere else.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anyone watching PCSects? I have the the senior ladies on the big screen but I wont start watching seriously till we get half way down the list or so. Go Caroline, Angela, and Paige!

statmam

On the Ice
In happier news, I'm discovering a lot of enjoyable lower-level skaters to watch out for. Noelle Rosa in Intermediate and Emma Coppess and Lily Sun in Novice were all great "finds" and I hope to find a few more skaters to root for going into Nationals (other than skaters I already know and like, e.g. Alysa Liu and a few of the junior girls). It's very refreshing to watch the up-and-coming skaters because I've never seen most of them and, therefore, have no opinions or attachments to skaters. Certainly not as nerve-wracking to watch competitions when you don't even know who the skaters are, and you get to become acquainted with the 12-year-olds you will probably someday become intensely emotionally invested in. :laugh2:
The young lady who gave the enthusiastic Star Wars performance in the juvenile girls FS was also a joy to watch. And she had a lay back of which Dick Button would approve!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Livvy Shilling is in second with 2 to go! SHe's made it to her FIRST EVER Nationals! That's awesome!