2024 Pacific Coast Sectional Singles & U.S. Pairs Final | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2024 Pacific Coast Sectional Singles & U.S. Pairs Final

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nooooooo......the music.....haven't we learned not to skate to dreadful covers of "Fix You"? Really?
I was disappointed by the music too...so much so that I couldn't watch Kai skate. :( I honestly hate Fix You and I wish I could ban it from skating...

Also, I hope Michael is okay...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was disappointed by the music too...so much so that I couldn't watch Kai skate. :( I honestly hate Fix You and I wish I could ban it from skating...

Also, I hope Michael is okay...
It caused us sooooo many problems....no replays at all last year. Very bad juju to skate to. I hope Michael is ok also

skaterpups

Rinkside
Oh no...Hanns/Neudecker withdrew.
From watching the warm up they started warming up and then Grace went over to the boards and it looked like she was hyperventilating.

Nica and Mark were unexpectedly first to skate which I think through them off a little.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problems were from the cover of "House of the Rising Sun". (That doesn't make "Fix You" a good song to skate to, but it wasn't the source of the copyright issues.)
Sorry, I'm losing my mind. I have thought it was "Fix You" all this time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From watching the warm up they started warming up their twist and then Grace went over to the coach and it looked like she was hyperventilating. Nica and Mark were unexpectedly first to skate which I think through them off a little.
But they still did great!! I'm sorry to hear about Grace. I hope she is ok.

midori green

On the Ice
Sorry, I'm losing my mind. I have thought it was "Fix You" all this time.
It's a shame, too, because it was a cool cover of House of the Rising Sun. But I won't be seeking out anything else by that band and would actively avoid it. I liked "Fix You", but now it's just WAY overdone.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I missed Josephine Lee, looks like she had a great freeskate! I also missed Mia Kalin - looks like she landed her quad! Started watching with Katie Shen - good skate from Katie too! And I'm so so pleased with Soho Lee - last time I saw her she was doing almost all singles and I was very worried about her, so it's nice to see her skating so well here.

From what I understand Josephine has a bye so the top two after her qualify to Nationals (Katie and Mia) and then I believe the next three best scores over the three sectionals will qualify. I think Soho with 170 pts. has a good chance to qualify. Lindsay Wang 159 pts. and Sonia Baram 154 pts. actually have higher scores than Ting Cui who was third place at Easterns with 147 pts. so unfortunately I think that means Ting is out.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I saw it all and it was okay but Sherry Zhang won both the Jr and Sr with highest score 195.:biggrin: Mia did land a 4T with good GOE but fell on two jumps and under rotated another. I don't anyone was completely clean.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I missed Josephine Lee, looks like she had a great freeskate! I also missed Mia Kalin - looks like she landed her quad! Started watching with Katie Shen - good skate from Katie too! And I'm so so pleased with Soho Lee - last time I saw her she was doing almost all singles and I was very worried about her, so it's nice to see her skating so well here.

From what I understand Josephine has a bye so the top two after her qualify to Nationals (Katie and Mia) and then I believe the next three best scores over the three sectionals will qualify. I think Soho with 170 pts. has a good chance to qualify. Lindsay Wang 159 pts. and Sonia Baram 154 pts. actually have higher scores than Ting Cui who was third place at Easterns with 147 pts. so unfortunately I think that means Ting is out.

If any of those who have a bye has to WD, are there then 4 “next best scores” from Sectionals?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Videos for novice and below can be found here

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Videos for novice and below can be found here
Videos that USFS put up is a 1 day affair only -- download it as soon as it is up because USFS makes them private after a day

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If any of those who have a bye has to WD, are there then 4 “next best scores” from Sectionals?
Replying again here. With Bradie now being out for the season :( I did read a comment elsewhere that this means the next 4 best scores would go to Nationals so I think that's how it will work.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There's going to be a big influx of new (international) seniors in a couple years. It will be interesting!
The size of the influx will be the same as before the age change -- one year's worth of birthdays. It's just delayed.

I.e., there are no newly age-eligible seniors this year or next year because of the age change. But it's not as if the two years worth of skaters who would have been eligible this year and next year under the old rules will suddenly become age eligible all at once. It's not a backlog that will be cleared all at once.

In 2025-26 all the skaters who turn 17 by July 1, 2025 (i.e., the ones who turned 15 for this year and would have been senior eligible this year under the old age rules) will finally be eligible.

But the ones who are currently ISU-14 now will only be ISU-16 in 2025-26 and will not be part of that year's influx.

midori green

On the Ice
The size of the influx will be the same as before the age change -- one year's worth of birthdays. It's just delayed.

I.e., there are no newly age-eligible seniors this year or next year because of the age change. But it's not as if the two years worth of skaters who would have been eligible this year and next year under the old rules will suddenly become age eligible all at once. It's not a backlog that will be cleared all at once.

In 2025-26 all the skaters who turn 17 by July 1, 2025 (i.e., the ones who turned 15 for this year and would have been senior eligible this year under the old age rules) will finally be eligible.

But the ones who are currently ISU-14 now will only be ISU-16 in 2025-26 and will not be part of that year's influx.
My point was that there aren't many new seniors this year or next year. They would only be people who were old enough for senior, but they chose to stay in junior. Internationally, most seem to move up as soon as they can. So, we have the same people for a few years before we get the new faces (this year's 15yo skaters). I assume this will be the case with many countries, so it will be interesting to get a new group of "youngest" skaters after having the same people as the youngest for a few years.