2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw somewhere that Gracie will also be giving an author talk about her upcoming book at the local public library that week. Wonderful opportunity for fans to meet her up close and personal!
of course you will be going.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope! No Nationals for me. Will be watching online though, and was delighted to hear that Peacock even plans to broadcast some practices!
Sorry for some reason I thought you meant local to you. Maybe I can drive to the library.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason will be donating his stuffies from Nats to the local (Central Ohio) Ronald McDonald House.

He is also selling tickets to a QandA session the Monday after Nats, with some proceeds to go to RMDH.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, Gracie fooled me and is going to Nationals (to sell books). I could try to drive there, give her flowers and drive home but if any of you lovely posters would be willing to save me the trip I will pay you for your time. And the flowers of course.
I'm going to nationals will see what I can do

Janice4th

On the Ice
Appreciate your generous offer of Junior tickets for Columbus. Raising my hand 🙋‍♀️ to say that I am interested, please.
If any of your tix still are available, I hope that you will/can send me a DM.
(I already tried to send you a DM, but GS software will not let me start a DM conversation with you.)

For Tuesday, I would be interested in:
Novice Pairs SP + Junior Pairs SP​
Junior Men SP​
Novice Pattern Dance + Junior Rhythm Dance​
(I do not think you are offering tickets for Wednesday, but in case you are, I would be interested in:
Junior Men FS)​

I will start volunteering in Columbus on Sun Jan 21.
Thanks for any consideration.
I haven’t been on, so they are available, so they are yours. Let me see if I can sen you a message.

Gusmom

Rinkside
FYI -- The arena consistently enforces the bag policy listed on its site here. Was told by USFS we had to comply with arena policy.

NO BAG POLICY - Bags are NOT permitted except medical bags, diaper bags OR clutches no larger than 8”x 5”x 1” that will be x-rayed via a designated screening line.
unfortunately, this is the sense I've gotten too. My medications won't fit in a bag that small (though definitely one smaller than I use at events like this). Luckily I'm staying nearby & getting there a couple of days early, so I can test that out before the busiest days. :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of was hoping Gracie wouldn't have anything to do with this Nationals. I always thought she need some time away from skating and she never really did that through her struggles. But it is her decision. Her fans including myself are always cheering for her and want what's best for her whatever that may be. I hav e had to protect myself because every time I think here she comes a legitimate comeback and then wham like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown we are left with nothing. Okay the pairs is a bit of a mess but they have the World Champion in dance and up and comers chomping at the bit and each other, we have Iliaand the ever fantastic Jason Brown in Men's. And in ladies we have Levito and a bunch of girls who could fill the second spot. There is lots to cheer about and drama. I think Levito, Malinin, Brown, Chock and BAtes are sure bets for worlds. The other spots are open in my opinion so there will lots of drama and intrigue. Even in pairs it is wide open.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is lots to cheer about and drama. I think Levito, Malinin, Brown, Chock and Bates are sure bets for worlds. The other spots are open in my opinion so there will lots of drama and intrigue. Even in pairs it is wide open.
Okay...now that I have made my predictions I am ready to give my thoughts and no doubt stir the pot somewhere...Caveat: I am rooting for them all, they all work so hard and hopefully go home having skated well.

The likely winners seem pretty set barring any mishaps. The rest of the field is wide open in every division. We will learn a lot about the competitive grit of 2-5 place with the competition so unpredictable. I had a hard time sorting out my places, especially pairs. I finally settled on ranking the weaknesses of each pairs team to sort it out. In terms of costliness multiple errors >lift errors >throw errors>sbs jump errors. In ladies I used consistency as my criteria. They are all lovely, but cleanliness is key. In men I used overall score to decide since 3-5 are all mistake prone. Who can win the pcs game. Dance was also a struggle, I kept struggling with scores and decided to go with overall judges placements and overall buzz in deciding. Green & Parsons and Car/Pom are so close with judges, I still think the order will hold now that G/P have settled their programs and have a bit more presence, but Car/Pom are ambitious and eager to move up so we will see. The Browns are clearly on an upward rise and seem to be the ones most likely to exceed expectations. I struggled with Eva & Logan as their scores are very good, but there seems to be no buzz about this team - they seem forgotten. I haven't seen them mentioned in weeks on this board - maybe they will come out and surprise us all. There is a lot of buzz with Zingas/Kolesnik - to me they take great risks and have a change in relations that could help or hurt. Jason seems easiest to place, he mostly consistent and reliable and loved by judges no matter where he competes. All I hope for is that he trusts the work he has put in and that there is no hidden ailment. Again, a really good year to learn about the strengths and weaknesses about this group under pressure. Who will seize the opportunity?

Last edited:

Sloopy

On the Ice
I think it's going to be a pretty full house in columbus. I've been following up on the website on purchasing tickets and there aren't a lot of tickets to be had. Also it's priced very reasonably and that's really important. Plus keep in mind that when competitions are on the East Coast, they tend to be much better attended then west coast events. I was able to purchase 2 all access passes in the first 6 rows pretty close to what it cost for 1 all access at 2022 nationals in Nashville.
I live in Columbus, and I can tell you that it is a huge sports town. In 2014 I sat next to a USFSA executive on my way to Boston for Nationals and asked why Columbus was never in the mix to host. The answer at that time was that they really wanted to host it here for years, but it had a small club presence. I don't know how they got around it, but you may be surprised by the turn out. The Nationwide Arena is in the Arena district where they have NHL hockey, major league soccer (current champion), minor league baseball (Cleveland Guardians, formerly the Indians), Ohio State University and many office buildings surrounding it all within a 2 mile radius. It is very nice area with lots of hotels and restaurants in walking distance.

Make sure to dress for the elements as it is currently 20 degrees outside.

Sloopy

On the Ice
The Main library is in walking distance if you have about 30 minutes to walk it. It is very cold out right now, but I have walked to it from my office which is across the street from the arena. The Columbus Library system is a multi-award winning library. If you're able to make it there, you can get 30 minutes free parking in the attached garage and it is $1 or $2 per hour after that.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'll admit some of my enthusiasm for nationals has lessened because of the withdrawal of Hawayek and Baker. I'll watch as much as I can on NBC and the Internet, but I had better just focus on hoping nobody gets hurt. For me as a fan if my other favorites stand on the podium, that's the icing on my cake.

Sloopy

On the Ice
Bag Policy?
Has any one heard if Nationwide Arena is going to be flexible about the bag policy? The tote I usually use is too big & while I might be able to get by with a medical exemption (I do have several medications & that gets me through at home), I also want to be prepared for plan B. I'll be there 10 hrs at least one day! I need a few things!

Also I wonder if it applies to practice arena as well?

Thanks for any info!
Unfortunately, the arena's very strict bag policy is due to Ohio State University being in charge of the facility management. Years ago when the owner of the Blue Jackets passed away, they were going to sell the arena to an outside entity but the city stepped in and took over the arena. The City of Columbus hired Ohio State to run the facilities as they are elite at managing multiple sizable athletic facilities. The bag policy is the same one that is in place for all of their venues, especially the football stadium that holds 106,000. They evidently implemented one policy for all.