2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

Gusmom

Rinkside
I hate the 4Cs being so close to Nationals especially because it's so far away. It's always kind of been a 2nd tie comp because of that. Makes me wonder why the US doesn't have Nationals earlier like in an Olympic year all the time.

Also I think it's ridiculous that Ava can go to 4CC without even competing at Nationals. It's not a good trend.

Gusmom

Rinkside
Bag Policy?
Has any one heard if Nationwide Arena is going to be flexible about the bag policy? The tote I usually use is too big & while I might be able to get by with a medical exemption (I do have several medications & that gets me through at home), I also want to be prepared for plan B. I'll be there 10 hrs at least one day! I need a few things!

Also I wonder if it applies to practice arena as well?

Thanks for any info!

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Clear Tote Bag Stadium Approved - Handles, Shoulder Strap, Zipper Closure. https://a.co/d/2t86B1r

Bought this for Nationals because I wanted a bigger bag...its huge.
Bag Policy?
Has any one heard if Nationwide Arena is going to be flexible about the bag policy? The tote I usually use is too big & while I might be able to get by with a medical exemption (I do have several medications & that gets me through at home), I also want to be prepared for plan B. I'll be there 10 hrs at least one day! I need a few things!

Thanks for any info!

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hate the 4Cs being so close to Nationals especially because it's so far away. It's always kind of been a 2nd tie comp because of that. Makes me wonder why the US doesn't have Nationals earlier like in an Olympic year all the time.

Also I think it's ridiculous that Ava can go to 4CC without even competing at Nationals. It's not a good trend.

This is my own educated guess on why Nationals is later this year. I may be really off base but I'd say that it's because NBC has a lot of playoff football on their channels and squeezing Nationals in their schedule won't work for them.
Nationals isn't exactly a big draw anymore, the Olympics are still 2 years away and if Nationals can avoid going against some highly rated playoff games, the better NBC and US skating prefer. doing that.

If it makes things more difficult for skaters and fans... they don't focus on that...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty big news. It seems as though Ashley Wagner revealed on her podcast that she and Adam Rippon would be commenting for the international feed of US Nationals.

So, there's actually going to be an international feed. First time, I think!

I'm looking for confirmation on this.

Last edited:

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Pretty big news. It seems as though Ashley Wagner revealed on her podcast that she and Adam Rippon would be commenting for the international feed of US Nationals.

So, there's actually going to be an international feed. First time, I think!

I'm looking for confirmation on this.
I'm pretty sure there was an international feed in 2022, and that there was supposed to be one last year, but it never seemed to have appeared.

Edit: some more info on the international feed

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow... So the US Skating Fed doesn't think that Canadians are interested in their skaters ?
Honestly, I think all nations should do like Canada and make their nationals available for free worldwide. I am not sure why we can do this in Canada and apparently nobody else does it.

At least, there is qq

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

US Nationals being held at this time on January isn't unusual what's different is China deciding on 4CC taking place about 10 days earlier then normal on a non Olympic year for some dumbass reason. If USFS had known this i bet Nationals would have been moved back about a week at least.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
US Nationals being held at this time on January isn't unusual what's different is China deciding on 4CC taking place about 10 days earlier then normal on a non Olympic year for some dumbass reason. If USFS had known this i bet Nationals would have been moved back about a week at least.
USFS has known that 4CC would be early in 2024 for at least 2 years (There were only two applications, one from Taiwan for the upcoming week and the other from China from the 29th on), and has changed nothing. This did not come completely out of the blue.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am surprised with this comment because Canadian Nationals were planned early this year, and it was exactly because of the known dates of 4CC.

I see @Jumping_Bean beat me to it.

LFO

Spectator
Country
United-States
Bag Policy?

Thanks for any info!
FYI -- The arena consistently enforces the bag policy listed on its site here. Was told by USFS we had to comply with arena policy.

NO BAG POLICY - Bags are NOT permitted except medical bags, diaper bags OR clutches no larger than 8”x 5”x 1” that will be x-rayed via a designated screening line.

brblja

Rinkside
Not a dumb reason. Holding it a week/two weeks later would mean it would coincide with Chinese New Year's celebration. Aside from it being a major holiday and organizing an international event during such would come with its own challenges in any country, in China it means travel is an absolute nightmare because half the population packs up and goes home for the week.

And the most likely reason for the Fed not moving Nationals back to match was what @Spiralgraph said - once you sell the broadcast rights to a station, they call most of the shots.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Not a dumb reason. Holding it a week/two weeks later would mean it would coincide with Chinese New Year's celebration. Aside from it being a major holiday and organizing an international event during such would come with its own challenges in any country, in China it means travel is an absolute nightmare because half the population packs up and goes home for the week.
China also has the National Winter Games (multi-sport event similar to a national equivalent of the Winter Olympics) scheduled for the middle/end of February, which has (politically mandated) priority over 4CC, from what I've heard. If they had scheduled 4CC at the same time, there would have likely been no Chinese skaters at their home 4CCs at all.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's going to be a pretty full house in columbus. I've been following up on the website on purchasing tickets and there aren't a lot of tickets to be had. Also it's priced very reasonably and that's really important. Plus keep in mind that when competitions are on the East Coast, they tend to be much better attended then west coast events. I was able to purchase 2 all access passes in the first 6 rows pretty close to what it cost for 1 all access at 2022 nationals in Nashville.
Reasonably? It’s close to twice what they were last year. I almost died when I saw the prices.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bag Policy?

Thanks for any info!
This comes up every year and every year I drag huge bags of stuffed animals in. I guess one day someone will enforce it. I hope it’s after I’m no longer around.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Gracie fooled me and is going to Nationals (to sell books). I could try to drive there, give her flowers and drive home but if any of you lovely posters would be willing to save me the trip I will pay you for your time. And the flowers of course.

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
Just opened twitter few minutes ago and first thing i read is that Ava is not going to skate... No Yelim in KN,now Ava in USN

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well, Gracie fooled me and is going to Nationals (to sell books). I could try to drive there, give her flowers and drive home but if any of you lovely posters would be willing to save me the trip I will pay you for your time. And the flowers of course.
I saw somewhere that Gracie will also be giving an author talk about her upcoming book at the local public library that week. Wonderful opportunity for fans to meet her up close and personal!