2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

Sloopy

On the Ice
Unfortunately, the arena's very strict bag policy is due to Ohio State University being in charge of the facility management. Years ago when the owner of the Blue Jackets passed away, they were going to sell the arena to an outside entity but the city stepped in and took over the arena. The City of Columbus hired Ohio State to run the facilities as they are elite at managing multiple sizable athletic facilities. The bag policy is the same one that is in place for all of their venues, especially the football stadium that holds 106,000. They evidently implemented one policy for all.
I just returned to the office from watching practice in the arena and the practice rink. They were allowing bags in over the stated policy size. I tried to find out if this would continue as the figure skating crowd is not like their typical hockey kind of crowd that they get, and I couldn't get an answer. So at least for today and maybe tomorrow before the events start, you may be able to get a bag in.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
unfortunately, this is the sense I've gotten too. My medications won't fit in a bag that small (though definitely one smaller than I use at events like this). Luckily I'm staying nearby & getting there a couple of days early, so I can test that out before the busiest days. :(
It was probably a bad place for USFS to select, sounds like.
mb.
I kind of was hoping Gracie wouldn't have anything to do with this Nationals. I always thought she need some time away from skating and she never really did that through her struggles. But it is her decision. Her fans including myself are always cheering for her and want what's best for her whatever that may be. I hav e had to protect myself because every time I think here she comes a legitimate comeback and then wham like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown we are left with nothing. Okay the pairs is a bit of a mess but they have the World Champion in dance and up and comers chomping at the bit and each other, we have Iliaand the ever fantastic Jason Brown in Men's. And in ladies we have Levito and a bunch of girls who could fill the second spot. There is lots to cheer about and drama. I think Levito, Malinin, Brown, Chock and BAtes are sure bets for worlds. The other spots are open in my opinion so there will lots of drama and intrigue. Even in pairs it is wide open.
She said once her injury was finally correctly diagnosed and she was hospitalized to get it taken care of (18 months) she was “ready to get back on the ice.” In what capacity I do not know. Maybe just shows. As I told everyone she was injured at last nationals which is the reason she didn’t skate a good LP (not lack of run throughs). USFS is trotting her out like crazy. She will be in Boitanos lounge, some sort of luncheon the tickets will be $350 to get into, etc.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just returned to the office from watching practice in the arena and the practice rink. They were allowing bags in over the stated policy size. I tried to find out if this would continue as the figure skating crowd is not like their typical hockey kind of crowd that they get, and I couldn't get an answer. So at least for today and maybe tomorrow before the events start, you may be able to get a bag in.
Last year they had signs everywhere about bag size. They let everyone in as usual, no regard to bag size. I have a clear arena bag but it’s huge and crammed so full of stuff that it’s had to be reinforced twice. Plus a giant bag of stuffies and if I’m lucky a dozen roses for Gracie. I’ve never been denied entry to any skating event and every year this discussion occurs.
At Skate America not only did I bring in a bag of flags and stuffies, some of which were pretty big, but a literal open container of Diet Coke, which I was totally prepared to throw out, but they were just like “be careful, you have an open container.” And there were signs about bag size everywhere and apparently we were just a few blocks away from Uvalde.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
At Skate America not only did I bring in a bag of flags and stuffies, some of which were pretty big, but a literal open container of Diet Coke … And there were signs about bag size everywhere and apparently we were just a few blocks away from Uvalde.

The shooting in the Skate America host city of Allen, TX, was at a shopping mall.
The school shooting in Uvalde was hundreds of miles away.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Start Orders are up for all the short programs and rhythm dances, and they are also in the OPs of all the competition threads.

All the threads are unlocked!

This starts today, Tuesday 23 January 2024, at 12 noon Eastern time on the USFSA YouTube Channel with Novice Pairs.

Are you ready to go?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Start Orders are up for all the short programs and rhythm dances, and they are also in the OPs of all the competition threads.

All the threads are unlocked!

This starts today, Tuesday 23 January 2024, at 12 noon Eastern time on the USFSA YouTube Channel with Novice Pairs.

Are you ready to go?
Eek my rewatches are not ready, although they will be of little use likely. Sometimes things pop up later so I will finish them when I get home from work and then I can watch as much skating as I can handle as long as I don’t lose power like last weekend.

Sloopy

On the Ice
Last year they had signs everywhere about bag size. They let everyone in as usual, no regard to bag size. I have a clear arena bag but it’s huge and crammed so full of stuff that it’s had to be reinforced twice. Plus a giant bag of stuffies and if I’m lucky a dozen roses for Gracie. I’ve never been denied entry to any skating event and every year this discussion occurs.
At Skate America not only did I bring in a bag of flags and stuffies, some of which were pretty big, but a literal open container of Diet Coke, which I was totally prepared to throw out, but they were just like “be careful, you have an open container.” And there were signs about bag size everywhere and apparently we were just a few blocks away from Uvalde.
So far, so good on the bags being allowed in. I haven't seen anyone being turned away and it looks like they don't have to be clear. They are tagging them, so they'll probably need to be scanned and searched. I am heading back for the Junior Rhythm Dance and the Senior pairs practice later this evening directly from my office. I'll have my backpack with laptop, so I'll have more information when I get home tonight on what to expect if you're arriving tomorrow.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did. I often try to avoid too much parsing of words, but "reevaluate our options for future seasons." does not sound good. At least Kevin Aymoz in his IG post taking a break today said "We will see each other again I promise".

I do not see that here. 😢

@el henry henry, have you seen the clips of what would have been Hawayek and Baker's programs?

We are ROBBED by never having seen these in full glory. The glorious Free Dance with that jaw-dropping one-foot sequence has been widely shared, but here's a bit of their planned RD, which IMO captures the 80's vibe in a completely different way.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@el henry henry, have you seen the clips of what would have been Hawayek and Baker's programs?

We are ROBBED by never having seen these in full glory. The glorious Free Dance with that jaw-dropping one-foot sequence has been widely shared, but here's a bit of their planned RD, which IMO captures the 80's vibe in a completely different way.

I have been waiting for a team to skate to my favorite song ever and for it to be my one of my favorite teams ever and not get to see it in competition is making me sob uncontrollably.
Thank you for posting this clip. It is the stuff of my dreams and despair.

A more complete version...can you hear me crying...😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

they have my heart forever....
I haven't been this sad since Tai & Randy withdrew from the Olympics...

Last edited:

Sloopy

On the Ice
So far, so good on the bags being allowed in. I haven't seen anyone being turned away and it looks like they don't have to be clear. They are tagging them, so they'll probably need to be scanned and searched. I am heading back for the Junior Rhythm Dance and the Senior pairs practice later this evening directly from my office. I'll have my backpack with laptop, so I'll have more information when I get home tonight on what to expect if you're arriving tomorrow.
I had absolutely no problem getting my bag in last night. Hers's to continued success.

mdunivin

Spectator
If anyone still needs tickets, I can grab two physical of whatever is available. Feel free to DM - asking half of face value.

theblade

On the Ice
Shame about the withdrawals from this year's event. I guess they happen, usually due to health concerns.

Otherwise, can you fine people help a fellow poster out?

Where is the thread for hotels? Need to be at the event on Sunday, so looking to stay overnight near the rink Saturday night only. Also, what is the cheapest way to score tickets for the dance free? Thanks!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My turn to offer a free ticket:

I now have one extra for tonight's Championship Women FS at 7:45 pm
Sec 219, Row B.
If anyone can use it on short notice, please send me a DM with your name and e-mail address.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shame about the withdrawals from this year's event. I guess they happen, usually due to health concerns.

Otherwise, can you fine people help a fellow poster out?

Where is the thread for hotels? Need to be at the event on Sunday, so looking to stay overnight near the rink Saturday night only. Also, what is the cheapest way to score tickets for the dance free? Thanks!
tickets: https://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/wpc0c5

Everything else: