2024 U.S. Nationals Gala Exhibition | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Gala Exhibition

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Will those going to 4CC be there? I saw a post of Kam and O Shea on a plane (with Elyse Lin Gracey). If the 4CC crowd are gone I wonder if they open the gala to more skaters? I hope NBC doesn't just show a ton of repeat performances, especially since they weren't great this year anyway! Hmmm would be nice if we get to see the junior champs! We won't know the broadcast till next week and nothing on Peacock... Boo

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I heard that Flores/ Desyatov were invited to perform at the Gala! Yay!!! I look forward to seeing them. Bella has a huge following on IG, and her fans (myself included) requested usfigsk to let F/D perform in the Gala.

Including F/D was probably an easy decision, due not only to their popularity (and their 7th place result), but also because the teams assigned to compete at 4CCs were probably preparing to get on a plane to Shanghai, and were not at the Gala. Anyone who was in Columbus and saw the Gala, please give us reports!

In all the disciplines, those who headed off to 4CCs were most likely not at the Gala.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These photos from the Columbus Dispatch seem to capture many skaters at the Gala. The top photos are from the men's FS, scroll down for the gala.

Jason skating to a live string quintet(?); Oona and Gage in Elton John costumes, Kirk Haugeto (!), Luke Wang and Olivia Flores, Isabeau and many others...

Also Jason being awarded the Button Salchow Trophy during the galašŸ†

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was wondering where that trophy was. Who held it last? Who awarded it?

Paul Wylie presented the award, and Jason was in tears, he was so touched. I think it was a surprise.

To have a trophy passed on previously to only four men in figure skating: Ulrich Salchow himself, Dick Button, Misha Petkevich and Paul Wylie. And now Jason. Quite the honor.:rock:

The trophy itself was not there, maybe they did not want to transport from Boston (where I assume it is now)? Paul mentioned it was in his home "for a few years", so I assume it is not there now. It appears from Paul's speech there is now a Button Salchow board and it will be awarded every four years.

Rohene filmed a fancam of the presentation during the gala:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somebody in one of the threads asked about John Misha Petkevich - was he there as well?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just had a thought that I find hilarious! By the time the 2024 US Nationals Gala airs on TV, 2024 4CC will already be over. :laugh: I can guarantee that that has never happened before. ;)

ETA: A million congratulations to Jason Brown on the Button Salchow Trophy! How heartwarming and SO well-deserved! :love::love::love:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somebody in one of the threads asked about John Misha Petkevich - was he there as well?

Yes, Misha and Paul gave speeches explaining the origin of the trophy and the standards for award.

Taking the sport "beyond the rulebook", sportsmanship, artistry (this is from memory and I could be wrong)

Janice4th

On the Ice
These photos from the Columbus Dispatch seem to capture many skaters at the Gala. The top photos are from the men's FS, scroll down for the gala.

Jason skating to a live string quintet(?); Oona and Gage in Elton John costumes, Kirk Haugeto (!), Luke Wang and Olivia Flores, Isabeau and many others...

Also Jason being awarded the Button Salchow Trophy during the galašŸ†

They had the Columbus Symphony Orchestra (not sure how many) for the National Anthem before the menā€™s free skate, so that wouldnā€™t be too surprising if they played for Jason.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Paul Wylie presented the award, and Jason was in tears, he was so touched. I think it was a surprise.

To have a trophy passed on previously to only four men in figure skating: Ulrich Salchow himself, Dick Button, Misha Petkevich and Paul Wylie. And now Jason. Quite the honor.:rock:

The trophy itself was not there, maybe they did not want to transport from Boston (where I assume it is now)? Paul mentioned it was in his home "for a few years", so I assume it is not there now. It appears from Paul's speech there is now a Button Salchow board and it will be awarded every four years.

Rohene filmed a fancam of the presentation during the gala:

Did they say it was or had been in Boston? Just curious why there?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did they say it was or had been in Boston? Just curious why there?

That was a total guess on my part that it might be in the "Dick Button room" at SCOB. Total guess, and I am probably wrong.

Paul did say the Trophy *was* in his house for several years, implying it is no longer there.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That was a total guess on my part that it might be in the "Dick Button room" at SCOB. Total guess, and I am probably wrong.

Paul did say the Trophy *was* in his house for several years, implying it is no longer there.
okay, I was just curious if you thought that b/c of Paul. He no longer lives in Boston so wanted to clear that up. ;)

Congrats to Jason!

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I don't post much anymore, but I just have to make a post here.
Huge congratulations to Jason Brown. Well deserved honor and award.
Not only is he one of the best artistic skaters of all time, he is really such a classy guy.
He is a great ambassador for skating and we are fortunate that he has been competing for a long time.
Oh - and he is still skating at such a high level that he earned a Silver Medal!

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Another reminder, LOL, Today, Sunday, 2-4-24 is this Nationals SKATING SPECTACULAR, Exhibition at 1:00-3:00 P.M. CENTRAL TIME. or 2-4 P.M. Eastern time. on Regular, Broadcast, NBC!!
Unlike, Peacock, this will LOOK spectacular, in full 1080P, with a huge data rate!
ā£

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saw the gala on Peacock:

OK, I'm a fangirl, but Jason was amazing. Putting together a program of signature Jason moves, without rehearsal, to a live sextet playing Tchaikovsky? It was sooo lovely.šŸ˜­

and Kirk Haugeto is certified pure ham and I am here for it. šŸ˜„

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I must commend NBC for actually showing skating this time! I think they showed about 20 programs! Usually they waste so much airtime on repeat performances. So glad to see a couple juniors make the broadcast again... they used to always show us at least one junior (or novice - remember Nathan Chen's Peter and the Wolf!) but the more recent years they have been ignored. So it was nice to see Logan and Kirk. I am on the fence on the On Ice Perspectives cam - I do like it, it just doesn't always work and I wonder how the in crowd audience felt about seeing someone else on ice all the time. NBC did a good job of blending the edit and I only saw the cameraman (Jordan) during the Figure Skating in Harlem number. A lot of errors unfortunately in the programs but a lot of enjoyable programs none the less! I do wish Peacock would include the skaters that didn't make the broadcast though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I recorded the NBC broadcast.

Interview with Ilia

Started with Starr Andrews "I got the sauce" in a red cat suit.
Great spins & attitude.

Katie McBeath & Daniil Parkman pairs
7 Zark 7
Very split personality music. Very slow followed by aggressive fast stuff- then repeated. This is me watching it :confused:

Zingas & Kolesnik
Michael Jackson ( their RD)

Jason Interview on 10th anniversary of Riverdance. He says he got hooked on the large crowd experience, which is why he is still doing Nationals.

Jimmy Ma
"Movie Star" by CIX
A Rap Number with a humorous twist, as I expect from Jimmy

Jason gets the Salchow Button Trophy

Sarah Everhart
Call Me Cruella

Martins & Bedard
Mamma Mia, and Dancing Queen

Flores & Desyatov
Sexyback by Justin Timberlake.
They came up with this in 20 min since they did not expect an exhibition invite. It still was quite good!

Kirk Haugeto
Charlie Chaplin
He has 50 chickens in real life.
Why am I not surprised?

Girls from Figure Skating In Harlem in orange costumes skating to Amanda Gorman's poem into A Brand New Day from the Wiz. Do they have a Synchro team?

Logan Higase-Chen #1 in Juniors
Sing Sing Sing

Levito
Love by Lana Del Ray

Max Naumov
Wherever I May Roam by Metallica

Pate & Bye
Hanging Tree

Jospehine Lee
I wanna dance with somebody by Whitney Houston

Goku Endu
New Girl by FINNEAS
Nice to see him!

A local artist presents a pair of skating boots to Jason that she has painted with Cincinnati skyline and Jason spinning

Jason & Symphony Orchestra & Tchaikovsky
Just gorgeous Jason covers the ice effortlessly.The audience goes wild.
Apparently the conductor suggested this back in August! They never rehearsed this,-- unbelievable

Bratti & Somerville
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road & I'm Still Standing

Efimova & Mitrofanov
"Tout l'univers" by Gjon's Tears
She is not yet released by Germany, so they cannot go to Worlds

Amber Glenn
Vampire
Very emotional performance

Ilia Malinin
I Got You/I Feel Good
Tried a 4a and fell :eek:

Last edited: