Pairs' LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs' LP

Tigger

Final Flight
The main word there is "when". When they're clean, then fine because the skating reflects and deserves a high mark w/Aliona and Robin. However, when it sounds as rough as it was today, that score *is* too high. Especially w/two botched throws from the sound of it. It sounds like their placement is right, but that score does sound way too high for what was produced out there.

Besides...I thought CoP was supposed to take care of the "They/They're the World Champions, let's give them the benefit of the doubt it was a bad performance" marks that would appear back during 6.0?

As for Maria and Max....Yi yi yi....I can't believe they didn't go back to the drawing board after SA w/that mess of a LP. It's not working for them, the audience isn't relating to it at all...They've given it a fair shot, but it's time to either start working on a new LP for the rest of the season or go back to last year's. They've got such a lovely SP this year too. It's a crying shame they don't have a LP w/the same quality.

As for Megan and Craig...Wow!! That's all I can say after reading about the injury and seeing pictures...Wow!! Congrats on the Bronze. They more than earned it today.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
It sounds like their placement is right, but that score does sound way too high for what was produced out there.
That's probably the reason why Robin stood up and left k&c quickly after seeing the scores, and Aliona and Steuer just sat there.

OT: I believe it's not on youtube yet, it's just that I usually watch programs several times, before going to express a strong opinion. Maybe they'll upload it on youtube soon.

As for Maria and Max....Yi yi yi....I can't believe they didn't go back to the drawing board after SA w/that mess of a LP. It's not working for them, the audience isn't relating to it at all...

AFAIK, they have no plans to change the LP. They like it, everything in it is natural for them, it's fun. Besides, Tarasova complemented them on it, and called the program "super". Or so they say in their blog (it's in Russian):
http://www.sports.ru/blog/muhortova-trankov/5677795.html

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I was so choked up watching Meagan and Craig! Wow. What a skate. To me that was amazing and I will remember that skate over all the others. I am so impressed at their composure and they deserved that medal, in fact, it should have been silver. What a great team they are, I will be watching them for sure. Wonderful performance.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Once again, I do not understand why this Russian team keeps scoring so high, they are to be quite honest not that good. Once again I would have put the Canadians over the Russians. Even after their terrible accident it took a lot of courage to continue and skate clean.

I take it back, the Canadians should have won the whole thing.

No way the Canadians would have beaten S/S. In fact, the only time anyone beat S/S recently was in Cup of Russia last season.

Looking at the scores across the board, I don't think the Russians were particularly overmarked. The judges here were pretty generous. The Canadians were 2nd in the free skate. They deserved that. I'm still glad M/T got silver though. While I do not like their LP, they are good skaters.

missysays

On the Ice
I was watching the medal ceremony and it made me giggle.

- When S/S prepared to go out on the ice to accept their medal, they looked like they did not want to hold each other's hand at all. Also, Robin said something to Aliona as they stepped up to the first place position and she rolled her eyes a little bit. They were not liking each other very much today. ;)

- Also, I'm so glad that Meagan and Craig were prepared and had another set of costumes ready- because I guess it wouldn't have worked for them to come out in their blood stained costumes. Also, he looked so happy- despite the cut hand. He high-fived all of the men because he couldn't shake their hand properly. :biggrin:

fiercemao

Match Penalty

- When S/S prepared to go out on the ice to accept their medal, they looked like they did not want to hold each other's hand at all. Also, Robin said something to Aliona as they stepped up to the first place position and she rolled her eyes a little bit. They were not liking each other very much today. ;)

:

I'm surprised by the fuss/overreaction between these two. It's not like this was the first time they had a lousy long program. It's not all that horrible by their usual standard of making one to two big mistakes per lp. The first part was pretty clean.

Kasey

Medalist
I'm surprised by the fuss/overreaction between these two. It's not like this was the first time they had a lousy long program. It's not all that horrible by their usual standard of making one to two big mistakes per lp. The first part was pretty clean.

Uh, they did have two big mistakes, (both throws) and him falling out of the landing on the combo. The in-betweens and non-jumping elements were lovely, but this was certainly not a performance that they should be proud of.

I'm still not getting M/T's LP (and I love them), but there was a bit more energy and charm to it this time than there was at Skate America. I'm willing to give it another chance (at GPF, probably) before deciding it's irredeemable.

waxel

Final Flight
As we all know figure skating "costumes" have a huge range of interpretation. But M/T (in addition to just seeming sour and dour) should be penalized for the grotesque costumes. The 'Lady & the Hooligan?' ... what hooligan? A slightly ripped shirt and suspenders? ... And her costume would only qualify as a 'lady' at a carnvival sideshow.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

There's bound to be tension between the two of them. Personally, I think that Aliona's skating skills are a level above Robin's. I love watching her on the ice, but I do not like watching him. (Kind of like Volosozhar and Morozov, at least before they went to Ingo Steuer) Robin's SBS jumps, for instance, are not as strong and secure as Aliona's.

As we all know figure skating "costumes" have a huge range of interpretation. But M/T (in addition to just seeming sour and dour) should be penalized for the grotesque costumes. The 'Lady & the Hooligan?' ... what hooligan? A slightly ripped shirt and suspenders? ... And her costume would only qualify as a 'lady' at a carnvival sideshow.
Is that what they were supposed to be? :laugh: I thought they were going to skate to "We're a Couple of Swells". Fred and Judy, they are not.

Kinga

Medalist
AFAIK, they have no plans to change the LP. They like it, everything in it is natural for them, it's fun. Besides, Tarasova complemented them on it, and called the program "super". Or so they say in their blog (it's in Russian):
http://www.sports.ru/blog/muhortova-trankov/5677795.html

That is too bad actually... This LP is a mess. Strange, unnatural postures, strange story, horrible costumes. I really like them, I loved their SP, but LP definitely needs to be changed or seriously reworked! It does not give the justice to their skills, whereas the SP does it great! I guess that some negative impact must have reached them too, and I would not rely barely on TAT's opinion....

herios

Medalist
[QUOTE Personally, I think that Aliona's skating skills are a level above Robin's. I love watching her on the ice, but I do not like watching him. (Kind of like Volosozhar and Morozov, at least before they went to Ingo Steuer) Robin's SBS jumps, for instance, are not as strong and secure as Aliona's.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Aliona is currently the strongest female pair skater in the world. Most likely there were some issues in the way he launches her, it suprises me to have a problem with the sal, last year this was their very last element and the fact they did it at that point just showed a lot of confidence.

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, I only just saw Meagan and Craig's LP. They were *phenomenal*! They skated maybe better after the cut than before, he stepped out of the 3S before, but afterwards it was a perfect program. Amazing! Maybe the adrenaline rush pushed them to a higher level. :p I actually thought the bleeding really made the performance more dramatic. Maybe he should use a fake bandage with red ink next time for prop? ;) If it had been Romeo & Juliet, it'd been even more fitting. :laugh:

Sorry, I've got a weird sense of humor late at night. ;) I like D/B a lot, and I'm so happy to see them doing so well and being so tough! Buntin and his previous partner were always skating a bit tepid, even if she had slightly better posture than Meagan. Meagan has so much positive energy, you can actually see her hopping in places (like the 3T-3T sequence), it's really cute. I think that energy is infectious and giving Craig a second lease in competitive skating. And Craig's elegance is also inspiring Meagan to improve. They look great together!

It's really amazing how rapidly they've improved in just a little more than a year of training together, and less than four seasons altogether for Meagan! She just picked up pairs like that, how many singles skaters who start pairs in their late teens can boast of that?! In season three, she already achieved Canadian bronze, and 6th at Worlds. Where will they end up in season 4? I bet it's going to be higher, because they have such great mental toughness, and they're really improving technically. She has so much better technique now in all her triples and throw triples, she is much better straighter in the air, and land with much better control, and the height she gets on the throws rivals those of the top Chinese couples! And she's only 22. I'm rooting for them all the way! :rock::rock::rock:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Ok, I finally managed to watch M/T's LP video. I must say that I don't hate it anymore. It was awful at Skate America, but I think it was their technical errors that really affected their confidence, and thus hampered their presentation of the program.

At TEB, they performed their program with much more confidence and attitude, despite a shaky start. The footwork section was pretty good. You can really see them getting into character. I like it much more than their Rachmaninov LP. If Maria can be more confidence and land the salchow, I think they can skate this program pretty well.

My only complaint, would be that there is too many nuances on this piece, so sometimes the program doesn't manage to capture the music in its entirety. But other than that, I think it has potential.:yes: