Parade of Nations - Flag Bearers etc. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Parade of Nations - Flag Bearers etc.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From this article: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...2004/08/why_puerto_rico_has_its_own_team.html

And this one: https://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/06/olympics-puerto-rico-united-states-ioc

OT, but frankly, I think the whole 'being American citizens, yet not being able to vote for the President or the House/Senate' thing is really weird.

It is because of the way the Constitution is written.

Technically, citizens don't vote for President. Individual electors, who represent the will of voters in each state, vote for President. There is no provision for electors from non-states, other than DC, to have a voice in the race for President.

Similarly, the Senate and House of Representatives are elected by States. Not territories or possessions. The House of Representatives does include non-voting members from non-States.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It is because of the way the Constitution is written.

Technically, citizens don't vote for President. Individual electors, who represent the will of voters in each state, vote for President. There is no provision for electors from non-states, other than DC, to have a voice in the race for President.

Similarly, the Senate and House of Representatives are elected by States. Not territories or possessions. The House of Representatives does include non-voting members from non-States.

No I get where it comes from, I would just have a problem with being a citizen of a country, but not being able to vote for it's leader or have votes in the House and Senate. Especially since the President has a lot more power than the Prime Minister in Canada (too much imo, but that's a whole other discussion).

KMK0902

On the Ice
I looove :luv17:the parade of nations, I love the corny outfits, I love hearing the flag bearers’ stories, it is just what the Olympics is all about to me. Medals, not so much, although I loooove :luv17: when someone comes from out of nowhere to medal.

Guy from Tonga was great:biggrin:, but he better be using hot oil.....

I agree!! love it when someone comes from nowhere to win, like Steven Bradbury in 2002 :yes2::rofl2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Wikipedia Parade of Nations Page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics_Parade_of_Nations

... I'm really interested in the order of nations. USA marches in about in the middle, but Canada and Japan are toward the end. The Olympic Athletes for Russia are second to last - just before Korea. I'm not sure if the page is completely accurate but it's someplace to start.

FWIW, NBC has published "the expected order of the Parade of Nations."

The nations are not in identical order on the NBC list vs. the list shown on Wikipedia (as of now) ... per quick eyeballing of the beginning of each list.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
For Sweden I would love it to be Charlotte Kalla :rock: Cross country olympic medalist at her third olympics. But probably not as her first competition is the day after the opening. We'll know on wednesday.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For Sweden I would love it to be Charlotte Kalla :rock: Cross country olympic medalist at her third olympics. But probably not as her first competition is the day after the opening. We'll know on wednesday.

For me, the obvious choice would have been either her or Stina Nilsson. But, as you say, the Women's Cross Country starts the following day.

There again, Nilsson doesn't have a great international record in the Skiathlon. So, she might give that race a miss and do the Opening Ceremony instead.

Betting U.S. selects Shaun White? or Lindsay Vonn?

Don't know who Shaun White is, but surely the flag bearer has to be Lindsay! After all, she is Chasing History... :p

(Sorry, I had to. Incidentally, I missed the most recent episode due to not spotting it amongst all the Australian Open coverage. So I really hope it will be repeated before the Olympics).

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Julian Yee's Instagram post means that he will be flag bearer for Malaysia :yay:.

... Don't know who Shaun White is, but surely the flag bearer has to be Lindsay!

Shaun White is a snowboarding superstar from previous Olympics.

If it were a choice only btwn White or Vonn, I would much prefer White to be the flag bearer for the U.S.

(But what I really hope is that bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor will be elected.)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think Julian Yee's Instagram post means that he will be flag bearer for Malaysia :yay:.

That would be my interpretation too.

But, we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions. For goodness sake, I have just had to change the Japanese Flagbearer on the Wikipedia article back to Noriaki Kasai AGAIN. But, this time I added a reference to a newspaper article that reported correctly about Takanashi's role:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180124/p2g/00m/0sp/084000c

You know, this escapade has really shown just how big an impact that one inaccurate newspaper article can have.

Scary to think how many others we have been caught out by without realising...

Shaun White is a snowboarding superstar from previous Olympics.

If it were a choice only btwn White or Vonn, I would much prefer White to be the flag bearer for the U.S.

(But what I really hope is that bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor will be elected.)

Thanks for the info. I don't follow snowboarding, apart from checking how my local representative, Aimee Fuller, is getting on.

We'll just have to wait and see who does get the honour.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That would be my interpretation too.

But, we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions. ...

I trust Julian more than I would trust a newspaper article, so I don't think I am jumping to conclusions. YMMV.

I was careful to give the link to his Instagram post so that any and all would be able to take a look for themselves.

(BTW, Julian now has added an Instagram story showing him with the flagpole in hand -- resembling how the flag bearer would hold it.)

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Nobody's going to get them mixed up now that it's been announced that Fenni's carrying the flag for Austria! ;) :biggrin:

:love: :love: :love:

(I know I shouldn't be including that many hearts in a comment about a married woman...)

CaroLiza_fan

oh please feel free to add as many hearts as you like. i'm so happy she's doing it. I really have my fingers crossed for her, she had such tough seasons lately and this is just great. Really happy to see her there in the spotlight.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More re Julian Yee's selection as flag bearer for Malaysia:

I hope that the excerpt below from the Facebook post of the Olympic Council of Malaysia (the official NOC) will put any shred of uncertainty to rest. Emphasis added:

The Flag Handing Ceremony for the Malaysian Contingent to XXIII Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 was held on Sunday, 4 February 2018, at the Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur.
The Flag Handing Ceremony was officiated by Y.A.M. Tunku Tan Sri Imran ibni Almarhum Tuanku Ja'afar, President of OCM and IOC Member. Y.A.M Tunku Tan Sri Imran presented the Jalur Gemilang to the Chef de Mission of the Malaysian Contingent, Dato' Paduka Mumtaz Jaffar (Vice President) and to Mr. Julian Yee, our Flag Bearer who has qualified to compete in the Figure Skating Men's Short Program. .....

https://www.facebook.com/Olympic.Council.Malaysia/posts/10155558669762261 (Feb 4)​

BTW, the Facebook post has additional photos that were not on Julian's Instagram.
(My favorite one shows Julian's parents clowning around a bit as Julian and his two brothers respond with laughter.)

And I was interested to learn that Julian's mother has an official role as Team Manager of Figure Skating.
Her name is Mrs. Irene Cheow or Chew (her last name is spelled differently in two different captions, but she clearly is seen as the same person).
Cool to see her in an official team jacket :cool:.

Congratulations to Julian :bow: and his family :yay:.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
For me, the obvious choice would have been either her or Stina Nilsson. But, as you say, the Women's Cross Country starts the following day.

There again, Nilsson doesn't have a great international record in the Skiathlon. So, she might give that race a miss and do the Opening Ceremony instead.

Stina is doing skiathlon. Maybe Sweden choses alpine skier Myhrer who won bronze in Vancouver.

Don't know who Shaun White is, but surely the flag bearer has to be Lindsay! After all, she is Chasing History... :p

(Sorry, I had to. Incidentally, I missed the most recent episode due to not spotting it amongst all the Australian Open coverage. So I really hope it will be repeated before the Olympics).

CaroLiza_fan

Definitely! Back after injuries and other problems and now as good as ever :thumbsup: