Quad and Triple Axel Battle Ahead for Ladies in Stockholm | Golden Skate

Quad and Triple Axel Battle Ahead for Ladies in Stockholm

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Review top six contenders

Who else to watch?

Japan’s powerful Kaori Sakamoto should not be overlooked and could be a dark horse. Yelim Kim travels as the new Korean Champion to Stockholm while Loena Hendrickx of Belgium recently won the Challenge Cup in The Hague with convincing performances. Other strong competitors include Karen Chen (USA) and Alexia Paganini (SUI).

Missing in action

Youth Olympic Games Champion You Young (KOR) missed qualifying for the World team as she only finished fourth at the Korean Championships. 2019 World silver medalist Elizabet Tursynbaeva (KAZ) has not competed since winning her World medal. 2020 European Champion Alena Kostornaia (FSR) had a rough season and failed to qualify for Worlds.

Prediction Contest coming soon!

kirauza343

On the Ice
How on earth is Satoko considered a top 6 contender ahead of Kaori??? Like I know we haven’t seen a lot of Satoko this season but what we’ve seen of Kaori is significantly stronger than anything Satoko has done this season or last and Kaori beat Satoko by a significant margin at Nationals.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
How on earth is Satoko considered a top 6 contender ahead of Kaori??? Like I know we haven’t seen a lot of Satoko this season but what we’ve seen of Kaori is significantly stronger than anything Satoko has done this season or last and Kaori beat Satoko by a significant margin at Nationals.
I love Satoko, but I would have Kaori at fifth minimum. She's been incredible and very consistent this season.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Right but if Satoko fixes her under-rotation issues, her chances are better than Kaori, don't you think?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it hard to consider Karen Chen a strong competitor when she hasn't competed at this level since 2017. Loena Hendrickx may have won the recent Senior B, but that was her first and only competition since she placed 12th at Worlds 2019.

kirauza343

On the Ice
Right but if Satoko fixes her under-rotation issues, her chances are better than Kaori, don't you think?
That would require her to actually fix her underrotation issues. You can’t compare Kaori where she’s at to a hypothetically fully rotated Satoko especially when that isn’t a realistic assumption to make about Satoko. We’ve seen Kaori multiple times this season and she’s looked very strong. Satoko hasn’t had many opportunities to compete and did not look as strong the one time she did.

I like both skaters but there’s no way Satoko has a better shot at the top 6 than Kaori does.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The blurb on Rika is vaguely irritating in its lack of detail, especially compared to a few others. She didn't get the same treatment. I'm going to tweak it for you:

As the first woman to land a 3A+3T in international competition, Kihira will probably be the only woman at the championship that comes armed with not only a quad, but a triple Axel as well. In her free skate choreographed by coach Stephane Lambiel, the 18-year-old landed her first quad Salchow at this season’s Japanese Nationals to take her second consecutive title.

The two-time ISU Four Continents Champion has competed at Worlds before—she came in fourth in Saitama in 2019—and has a bit more experience than Shcherbakova and Trusova. The Nishinomiya native has an imaginative new SP – complete with difficult choreography by Benoit Richaud that includes a one-handed cartwheel - and if she is consistent with her strong technical content and quality skating, she has the best chances to challenge the Russian skaters.

See the difference a little tweaking makes? Sure, you have my permission to use it. You're welcome.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The blurb on Rika is vaguely irritating in its lack of detail, especially compared to a few others. She didn't get the same treatment. I'm going to tweak it for you:

As the first woman to land a 3A+3T in international competition, Kihira will probably be the only woman at the championship that comes armed with not only a quad, but a triple Axel as well. In her free skate choreographed by coach Stephane Lambiel, the 18-year-old landed her first quad Salchow at this season’s Japanese Nationals to take her second consecutive title.

The two-time ISU Four Continents Champion has competed at Worlds before—she came in fourth in Saitama in 2019—and has a bit more experience than Shcherbakova and Trusova. The Nishinomiya native has an imaginative new SP – complete with difficult choreography by Benoit Richaud that includes a one-handed cartwheel - and if she is consistent with her strong technical content and quality skating, she has the best chances to challenge the Russian skaters.

See the difference a little tweaking makes? Sure, you have my permission to use it. You're welcome.
Appreciate the time you took! Please keep in mind that we had four disciplines to work and wanted to keep it a minimum.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Appreciate the time you took! Please keep in mind that we had four disciplines to work and wanted to keep it a minimum.
Keep it to a minimum? That does not explain how you have disproportionately written more about the Russian skaters than any others.

Reactions: Giu

Myr

On the Ice
I find it hard to consider Karen Chen a strong competitor when she hasn't competed at this level since 2017. Loena Hendrickx may have won the recent Senior B, but that was her first and only competition since she placed 12th at Worlds 2019.

Loena also participated at the Budapest trophy in autumn 2020, she won with 199 point, she improved on that score at Challenge Cup where she scored 205. So I do believe that this provides an accurate picture of her present condition. Moreover since both competitions were scored by an internation jury they are probably representative of the scores she will get at Worlds if she skates semi-clean.

Anayways, I am very much rooting for her to be in the top ten. Go Loena!!

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loena also participated at the Budapest trophy in autumn 2020, she won with 199 point, she improved on that score at Challenge Cup where she scored 205. So I do believe that this provides an accurate picture of her present condition. Moreover since both competitions were scored by an internation jury they are probably representative of the scores she will get at Worlds if she skates semi-clean.

Anayways, I am very much rooting for her to be in the top ten. Go Loena!!
I put her 6th in my predictions so I also have high hopes for her. Let’s see how high hopes translates into reality. Haha

Reactions: Myr

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course they overlook Kaori.... 😠 not even a top 6 contender? I was looking forward to seeing what they would write about her. This only makes me root for her even more.
If it makes you feel better I have her 5th in my predictions.

I absolutely love her matrix program. One of my favorite programs this year easily.

Also, I hope the international judges know that the Kaori bonus is a thing.

What’s that? It’s a 20 point bonus added to your score if your name is Kaori Sakamoto. They should actually put this bonus in the official scoring rules. Hahaha

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Keep it to a minimum? That does not explain how you have disproportionately written more about the Russian skaters than any others.
The 3 Russian ladies have all competed 5 times this season which would give the writer more events and material to work with compared to Rika and Satoko competing once.

kirauza343

On the Ice
The 3 Russian ladies have all competed 5 times this season which would give the writer more events and material to work with compared to Rika and Satoko competing once.
Trusova’s entire first paragraph is solely about her past achievements and doesn’t mention this season’s competitions at all. There’s plenty to pull from for Rika (First lady to skate a clean 8 triple free skate, first to land a 3A3T in competition, the fact that she’s been landing triple axels for years...) which makes the difference very noticeable. Anna and Sasha aren’t the only ones that have pushed the sport technically.