Quad Axel attempt by Dimitriev Jr. at US Nationals | Golden Skate

Quad Axel attempt by Dimitriev Jr. at US Nationals

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Dmitriev Jr. doesn't have the clout/fanbase of a Chen or Hanyu or most of the top US skaters like Zhou or Brown..... so this quad axel attempt will probably go unnoticed by many news outlets and skating fans (much like his super unique 3Z+3F) . So here's a thread for it. Look at this thing!

Another angle:

This is still quite short of rotation but it's definitely the best attempt I've ever seen (and certainly better than the first ever quad axel attempt he did at Rostelecom). :clap: (Also, Dmitriev Jr. is 29. )

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think the secret to get this element done would be a quick raise and throw back of the free leg on the last turn,
While getting very low on the knee with the landing leg, It seems like both Hanyu and Dmitriev Jr are catching the free leg out front on the ice on the landing, The landing leg actually looks close to the quarter for both, But the double foot makes it a carrot soup.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think the secret to get this element done would be a quick raise and throw back of the free leg on the last turn,
While getting very low on the knee with the landing leg, It seems like both Hanyu and Dmitriev Jr are catching the free leg out front on the ice on the landing, The landing leg actually looks close to the quarter for both, But the double foot makes it a carrot soup.

The snap he has into this is insane. I notice from the second vid that he was on a bit of a lean but the axis straightened up.

But it just goes to show how difficult an element this is - he's doing everything right and going into it at literally his top speed. So much can go wrong, but his technique and timing makes the jump a possibility.

Here's his 2018 Rostelecom attempt for comparison.

A straight axis and more speed going into it meant he got just a little more rotation on his US Nationals attempt, and it really should be ratified as the first ever < quad axel.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could someone explain how Dmitriev wound up skating at US Nationals? It boggles the mind.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha ha I love this guy...he's so... Russian!

Could someone explain how Dmitriev wound up skating at US Nationals? It boggles the mind.
According to Ben, Artur didn't feel he was getting any support from the RusFed (and perhaps his own father who in an interview basically said he was a failure, I mean it's true results-wise, but you shouldn't say it!)

I'm not sure if he can actually represent the US yet, but I can't remember when he last skated for Russia.

And the 3Lz-3Flip is awesome, even though he didn't do that cleanly... You gotta admire the attempt.

I love Yuzu, but imagine if Artur did land the first 4A, that would be epic.

Amei

Record Breaker

According to Ben, Artur didn't feel he was getting any support from the RusFed (and perhaps his own father who in an interview basically said he was a failure, I mean it's true results-wise, but you shouldn't say it!)

I'm not sure if he can actually represent the US yet, but I can't remember when he last skated for Russia.

And the 3Lz-3Flip is awesome, even though he didn't do that cleanly... You gotta admire the attempt.

The last time he competed for Russia was the 2018-2019 season so he should be good.

Weathergal

Medalist

Yeah I felt for the guy when his father was interviewed recently and was pretty harsh, saying something to the effect of "I don't even know what he's doing," etc. It is a bit bizarre, but who knows what else is going on in his life? Look at Deanna Stellato or Zoe Jones, who are even older than Dmitriev. They felt they had unfinished business, and perhaps he did, too. Maybe it's a little crazier in his case because he moved so far to do it, but I admire his guts anyway.

Speaking of which...going for that 4A. Wow! And yes, I love his quirky 3Lz + 3F!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I felt for the guy when his father was interviewed recently and was pretty harsh, saying something to the effect of "I don't even know what he's doing," etc. It is a bit bizarre, but who knows what else is going on in his life? Look at Deanna Stellato or Zoe Jones, who are even older than Dmitriev. They felt they had unfinished business, and perhaps he did, too. Maybe it's a little crazier in his case because he moved so far to do it, but I admire his guts anyway.

Speaking of which...going for that 4A. Wow! And yes, I love his quirky 3Lz + 3F!
I loved his quirky short program. I hope he can get a senior B and he lands that 4A.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm a fan. Honestly, there is little in his skating that I enjoy but the chaos he brings is amazing! His music choices, his YOLO jumps... I'm so glad I got to see him skate. This guy is not a failure. He is an inspiration!
Chaos is exactly it. One judge gave him 4s and 5s for PCS, which is savage but you know he doesn't care about that. He didn't even care about the combos. It was 4A or bust! :laugh:

readernick

Medalist
Chaos is exactly it. One judge gave him 4s and 5s for PCS, which is savage but you know he doesn't care about that. He didn't even care about the combos. It was 4A or bust! :laugh:
I mean the judge was right from scoring perspective. But, scores aren't the only thing that matters. He's out trying to fulfill his dreams and break records at 29. I love it.