Quad Axel attempt by Dimitriev Jr. at US Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Quad Axel attempt by Dimitriev Jr. at US Nationals

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
To me, Artur was one of the highlights of the competition. Not just about this quad axel attempt, although that was crazy enough. I can't help but love someone who is a little bit nuts in what he does. Long live chaos and I think the audience appreciated it too.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean the judge was right from scoring perspective. But, scores aren't the only thing that matters. He's out trying to fulfill his dreams and break records at 29. I love it.
I've lost the link to the protocols. Do you remember how the 4A attempt was scored? Underrotated, downgraded? I'm sure negative GOE, but I'd still like to know if you can recall.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've lost the link to the protocols. Do you remember how the 4A attempt was scored? Underrotated, downgraded? I'm sure negative GOE, but I'd still like to know if you can recall.
I saw the underrotated sign in a picture of the protocols.

Weathergal

Medalist
It was scored as under - one caret. And it received eight -5s and one -4.

Here's a link - not sure if it will work.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was scored as under - one caret. And it received eight -5s and one -4.

Here's a link - not sure if it will work.

Well, it deserved negative GOE, but -5 seems a bit harsh.

It's OK, he's skating to please himself, and we're just along for the ride, and the judges are gonna do whatever they're gonna do. As my friend @moonvine said, "He's my brand of crazy." (My favorite new quote)

I absolutely LOVED it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I mean the judge was right from scoring perspective. But, scores aren't the only thing that matters. He's out trying to fulfill his dreams and break records at 29. I love it.

I think 4's and 5's was a bit harsh. Yeah, he really lacked speed and had very few transitions, what he didn't wasn't easy (4.00/4.25 is what a novice skater gets). He still did 4 clean triples including a 3A, and had two decent quad attempts, including a quad axel.

I watched his skate again, and I'd give him something like a 6.50/5.25/6.50/6.00/5.75 = 60 PCS

I think 4.00 is the lowest PCS mark ever given to a skater who did a successful 3A+2T+2L combo. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, it deserved negative GOE, but -5 seems a bit harsh.

It's OK, he's skating to please himself, and we're just along for the ride, and the judges are gonna do whatever they're gonna do. As my friend @moonvine said, "He's my brand of crazy." (My favorite new quote)

I absolutely LOVED it.

TBH it was UR, had a stepout and a hand and another hand down, so the -5s were merited. But because he stayed on his feet and it was a < and not a << and it was a quad axel, I think -4's across the board wouldn't be particularly egregious.

Some people have gotten higher GOE for elements with UR or downgrades or falls. Swap his face with Hanyu's or Chen's and there's your -4's/-3's for that attempt.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think he cares a whit about the scores.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
TBH it was UR, had a stepout and a hand and another hand down, so the -5s were merited. But because he stayed on his feet and it was a < and not a << and it was a quad axel, I think -4's across the board wouldn't be particularly egregious.

Some people have gotten higher GOE for elements with UR or downgrades or falls. Swap his face with Hanyu's or Chen's and there's your -4's/-3's for that attempt.
Eh, it’s still really fun to watch, because he looks like he is having a blast

treblemakerem

On the Ice

Pretty sure Hanyu got a -2 from a judge for worse

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pretty sure Hanyu got a -2 from a judge for worse

Most judges got it right but one judge gave a -4 and one crazy starstruck judge gave a freaking -1 (LMAO!!!!) for his quad axel attempt at Nationals in spite of it being downgraded and with a foot down and transferring full weight onto it and then switching back to the right foot. Like judges 6 and 7 for Chen at Nationals on his PCS, or the judge who gave Hanyu a +3 (when it went up to 3) for his first quad lutz which was shaky on landing — or that absolutely ridiculous -1 for that quad axel, some judges just have starstruck scoring and will neglect GOE/PCS rules.

Tbh both quad axel attempts by Hanyu and admitting were -5 based on the accrued deductions, but Dimitriev’s was the better attempt due to being more rotated and it looked like it had greater amplitude, though Hanyu’s did have some transitions before it, and Dmitriev had a stepout/handout but didn’t get his feet tied up and transfer his weight to his left foot as much as Hanyu did.

Still both are fantastic attempts and get props for trying them. But judges come on.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Quad Axel is gross, until boot/blade technology advances. I am not convinced anyone can cleanly land a 4Axel entirely backwards and I don't think the human body is built to take that much pressure in the first place.

If you are able to rotate that much, then beautifully rotate your Triple Axel far above the ice and descend with the rotation fully completed. The main notion of a "Quad" is that it's supposed to be a bigger jump, to necessitate room for the extra rotation. But nobody is jumping bigger on their 4Axel attempt. They are just making the air rotations look worse, more forced, in order to try and include the extra rotation.

It's a problem with many Quad attempts in general these days. They don't visibly look much different than a great Triple should look, because an ideal Triple at the height of the jump is rotating the same amount as how people do Quads these days. People are just forcing themselves into the rotation earlier (and cheating the entrances) and not breaking out of the rotation above the ice, in order to achieve the rotation. That isn't really much of an advancement for the sport. It used to be common for Triple Lutz/Flip to have 3 full revolutions in the air, and now we see "Quad" attempts with no better rotation: pre-rotating 3/4 turn on the ice and landing 1/4 short.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Ha ha I love this guy...he's so... Russian!

According to Ben, Artur didn't feel he was getting any support from the RusFed (and perhaps his own father who in an interview basically said he was a failure, I mean it's true results-wise, but you shouldn't say it!)

I'm not sure if he can actually represent the US yet, but I can't remember when he last skated for Russia.

And the 3Lz-3Flip is awesome, even though he didn't do that cleanly... You gotta admire the attempt.

I love Yuzu, but imagine if Artur did land the first 4A, that would be epic.
I may be wrong, but AFAIR Dmitriev the Senior said something like it was his fault as a coach, not his son being a fault.

Regarding the ability of the human body to do 4Ax. Some mentioned, I couldn't find the source, so no credits, it's more like the mind cannot count 4 full rotations in air. It can do only 3 and everything above is chance based.

Trusova said once from her PoV there is no difference in the number of rotations. Just time required to complete.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Also, Dmitriev was pioneering non-orthodox combos. His 3Lz-3F may be looking awkward, but it was an idea to do 4Lz-3F. Unlikely it happens soon.

P.S. Ladies could maximize their SP BV with 3F-3F combo. There is no SP possible with higher BV than 3Ax/3Lz//3F-3F. Only quads may help.