Question about reading Skating Scores for Ice Dance | Golden Skate

Question about reading Skating Scores for Ice Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi folks!

I am reviewing SkatingScores for greater understanding about how the judges arrived at the score given. I am a bit confused reading the tables for the RD. I am not sure how base and total boxes work - are the scores given for each each partner of a base and multiplier to get a total ranking.

For example the twizzles, the first 6 couples all got level 4 for the twizzles, the same base of 1 and different totals. How can I tell how the total was derived and what made the difference? In the step seq for C/B each partner got a different level W4-M2 and the base was 8.21, total 11.94, L/B scored W3-M3 and the base was 8.20, total10.89. What am I not seeing to account for the 1.05 difference? Not trying to prove a point just understand how this chart works. Also trying to understand what the total differences reflect between S/D and B/B when their levels were the same. Is their a way to tell what the Browns were rewarded for that Olivia & Tim were not. Is their a multiplier for overall quality or is that determined by a sum for each skater of a team? Again just trying to make an educated read of the scoring results and be a smarter viewer.

Thanks for any help in furthering my education!

skatingscoresreview.png

icewhite

Record Breaker
I feel stupid now - the difference are just the GOE? :scratch2:
How do you even get to that chart which leaves out the GOE?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you even get to that chart which leaves out the GOE?
I don't see anything actually marked as GOE, but I do see PCS

and PCS broken out here...

icewhite

Record Breaker
I don't see anything actually marked as GOE, but I do see PCS

and PCS broken out here...

I always just look at the protocols. https://skatingscores.com/2324/gpusa/sr/dance/short/
I think there's a lot more the site offers, but I don't know much of it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Under the COUNTRY is the GOE the judge for that country awarded for each element---it's a single digit.
The PCS (two decimal places) at the bottom is what each judge awarded for the performance as a whole.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Under the COUNTRY is the GOE the judge for that country awarded for each element---it's a single digit.
The PCS (two decimal places) at the bottom is what each judge awarded for the performance as a whole.
What is puzzling me is the GOE total column - It looks like an average of the individual GOE but it is not whether you factor in all the judges or everyone but the high & low. It is is added to the Base Value to get each element score.

Example: C/B 8.21+3.73 =11.94 where did the 3.73 come from?
The math doesn't work for any team.

This is where I am seeing this

zebobes

Final Flight
You have to go into the scale of values to see how much GOE you can get for each element. For the 8.21 step sequence, the most you could get for that element is 5.22, so you have to take the average of the GOE, get a percentage where 5 = 100%, and then multiply that be 5.22, and you'll get your GOE.

Ice dance is confusing, as the choreographic elements have huge GOE range, in order to encourage creativity and innovation, so the GOE amounts per element are not intuitive. I have no idea how they came up with their GOE. In other disciplines, the most GOE you can get is 50% of the base value of the element.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In other disciplines, the most GOE you can get is 50% of the base value of the element.
Except for the choreographic step sequence in the free skate for singles and pairs, where the base value is 3.00 and the GOEs are in increments of 0.5, so the most you can get in positive GOE is 2.5, i.e., more than 50% of the base value.

Same reasoning as the choreographic dance elements.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm...I will have to play around with the numbers. I just wanted to understand how the numbers were arrived at and understand if there was a multiple for placement. It seems more complex than that. Hard for casual viewers to understand. Thank you for helping me learn!:thank:

insecureedge

On the Ice
Hmm...I will have to play around with the numbers. I just wanted to understand how the numbers were arrived at and understand if there was a multiple for placement. It seems more complex than that. Hard for casual viewers to understand. Thank you for helping me learn!:thank:
You don't really need to "play around." Just click the Score link in the right hand column for the element of interest. That opens up another window that explicitly shows how the GOE is calculated.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You don't really need to "play around." Just click the Score link in the right hand column for the element of interest. That opens up another window that explicitly shows how the GOE is calculated.
I feel silly now - thanks!

icewhite

Record Breaker

I didn't know that, cool!