Questions About Senior B’s | Golden Skate

Questions About Senior B’s

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, I have to admit to being ignorant on this topic, so I am trying to educate myself.

What makes a Senior B a Senior B?

How does a skater get to go to one? Can they just decide to go? For example - a skater like Andrew Austin, Ben Jalovick or Heidi Munger - who has made Nationals before but doesn’t always - could they send themselves?

How far in advance are entries known?

Are there any towards the middle of the country?

Thanks!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... What makes a Senior B a Senior B?

How does a skater get to go to one? Can they just decide to go? For example - a skater like Andrew Austin, Ben Jalovick or Heidi Munger - who has made Nationals before but doesn’t always - could they send themselves?

How far in advance are entries known?

Are there any towards the middle of the country?

My understanding is that "Senior B" is used to refer to a senior international competition that is not a GP and not a Challenger.

ETA:
Ooops ... sorry, I forgot to include ISU Championships also on the list of what is not a Senior B.
Thanks to @Andrea82 and her excellent post below, I have realized my accidental omission.​

My understanding is that a federation must give approval to its entries.
AFAIK, Heidi (for example) would not be able to send herself without approval from USFS.

If you are asking about locations of Senior B events in the U.S., the four 2021-22 events are:

Cranberry Cup International (singles/pairs) -- in Boston/Norwood, Mass.
Lake Placid Ice Dance International -- which happens to be in Boston/Norwood this season.

U.S. International Classic (singles/dance) -- with location TBA.

John Nicks Pairs Challenge -- in NYC.​

My hunch (just a hunch) is that for the four events named above, entries will not be known until relatively close to the dates of the events.
In contrast to announcement of GP entries months in advance, I mean.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
As IceCoverage indicated Senior B is usually used to refer to "other international events", meaning international competitions that are not ISU Championships, Grand Prix or part of the Challenger Series.

As for the entries, by Rule 107 of the ISU General Regulations, "the entry of Competitors can be made only through the respective ISU
Members".

How far in advance are the entries know? The event usually set a date by which the entries must be made.
For example, Skate Helena was held in Belgrade from April 14th to 18th 2021 and entries must reach the Event Organizer not later than March 26th, 2021.

They often allow late entries, especially when they didn't receive many entries in first place . Some of them used to charge a bigger entry fee for late entries.

Senior B for next season are the Senior competitions listed in the following file which are not ISU Championships, GPs and Challengers:

They are valid to achieve minimum TES for ISU Championships (if there are at least 2 skaters from 2 different countries in the event. And the panel of judges meet the minimum requirements).
They award World Standing points (250 for the winner, 225 for the runner up, etc until 164 points for the 5th place) if there are at least 8 skaters from 4 countries for Single, 5 pairs from 3 countries for Pair and 6 entries from 4 countries for Ice Dance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As IceCoverage indicated Senior B is usually used to refer to "other international events", meaning international competitions that are not ISU Championships, Grand Prix or part of the Challenger Series.

As for the entries, by Rule 107 of the ISU General Regulations, "the entry of Competitors can be made only through the respective ISU
Members".

How far in advance are the entries know? The event usually set a date by which the entries must be made.
For example, Skate Helena was held in Belgrade from April 14th to 18th 2021 and entries must reach the Event Organizer not later than March 26th, 2021.

They often allow late entries, especially when they didn't receive many entries in first place . Some of them used to charge a bigger entry fee for late entries.

Senior B for next season are the Senior competitions listed in the following file which are not ISU Championships, GPs and Challengers:

They are valid to achieve minimum TES for ISU Championships (if there are at least 2 skaters from 2 different countries in the event. And the panel of judges meet the minimum requirements).
They award World Standing points (250 for the winner, 225 for the runner up, etc until 164 points for the 5th place) if there are at least 8 skaters from 4 countries for Single, 5 pairs from 3 countries for Pair and 6 entries from 4 countries for Ice Dance.
This has always been my feeling about why Senior B's are so important for certain skaters. The only Senior B I have attended was the Nebelhorn Trophy a long time ago. It was actually quite fun and Alissa Czisny ended up winning. I believe that Gracie will be doing a couple of these and I think it is a very smart move for her. The environment is much more relaxed and I think it will give her an opportunity to skate without the pressure of a GP. Here's the Medal Ceremony from the year I went. Kirra Korpi was also there and she's a beautiful young lady...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWxLVyRkMk

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This have always been my feeling about why Senior B's are so important for certain skaters. The only Senior B I have attended was the Nebelhorn Trophy a long time ago. It was actually quite fun and Alissa Czisny ended up winning. I believe that Gracie will be doing a couple of these and I think it is a very smart move for her. The environment is much more relaxed and I think it will give her an opportunity to skate without the pressure of a GP.
If she does do some I do hope we know in advance.