Shoma Uno | Page 681 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Omg, the new program shown at the Ice? Wow, wow, can’t wait! :yahoo:

Edit: also, I am glad he is now so over the ‘I do not deserve to be among the top skaters’ phase.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Yes, maybe someone can verify that. I don't have time to look it up now, but I know I read that, because I immediately went to the schedule for The Ice to see what cities they were going to. I saw that the last of the three cities is Nagoya, so I wonder if he would do the debut there.

saphire

On the Ice
A change of scenery is always good. I also wonder if Marin would be there or if she would still be in Japan doing shows. Just thinking it would be great to have another Team Japan person there. The other option might be Colorado, but that rink is known for being pretty crowded. Wherever he's going, I'm all for it. Sure hope the Tree will give us a few updates though, because things were pretty quiet when he was in Montreal. What would make me the most happy would be if Fluffy would go with him. So from now 'til June he has a big chunk of time with no ice shows until June 6 for All That Skate, and then his last All That Skate is June 8 and he doesn't have The Ice until July 27. (AND we'll get to see a new program at The Ice, can't remember if it's an EX or a competitive program). Life is good! So glad he has a plan to challenge himself...If we were betting folks, we would create some kind of a pool / game to guess where he is going! The prize could be an all-event pass to Worlds 2020! :dbana: :jaw: :hap36: :hap57:

Adding -- I agree c3zara, I think Nathan and Shoma would be fine together. Nathan doesn't appear to be the type who would feel threatened or jealous of other skaters!

Marin last show before the Ice is PIW in Sapporo on June 23rd so maybe will return to Raf camp for a couple weeks. I kind of hope it is Raf camp that Shoma goes to, and having Marin will give him somebody he can talk with and maybe even help with her confidence and training.

saphire

On the Ice
Do you think that he will debut a new program at ATS show or wait until The Ice in late July/early August?

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sho and Itsuki at a ballgame. Sounds like he brought good luck to both Alvark and Itsuki!!!

Good evening,it's Itsuki.
Today is International High School #FieldHockey Championship qualifier, and we stepped to the second round! Under this hot weather, #Shoma came to secretly root for me? or watch over me? Tomorrow will fight hard and aim to win the qualifier.❗❗

https://t.co/rDU8xvDP0k

https://twitter.com/jumokuno0108/status/1127149582389956609?s=19

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Table tennis with the Tree! I was just thinking about how we never saw the tournament with the Royal Brothers, because Itsuki was too busy with his exams. They went to Jiyu Gakuen school in Nagoya and played doubles table tennis with the kids. There were 13 teams of kids who tried to beat the Royal Brothers, but no one beat them!

https://translate.google.com/transl...://jiyu-gakuen.jp/2019/05/11/☆宇野昌磨君・樹君と卓球大会☆/

https://twitter.com/mikufskate_0039/status/1127377168839786497?s=20

skatefan22

Medalist
Shoma's Colanttote interview mentioned this:

ただ年齢が21になって、世界選手権が終わるまでは僕はもっともっと長くスケート人生をやるつもりでずっとやってきたんですけど、そうではなくて、“長く続ける”というのを捨てて(これから)練習していこう、と思いました」

Don't know how to translate it properly. But it seems Shoma, after worlds, is now taking a more reckless (or desperate) approach regarding training?

And about overseas training, some very interesting bit. Hope we have translation soon.
── 宇野選手から発案することが多くなってきているように感じますが、そんな成長を宇野選手はどう捉えていますか?
「(海外合宿は)僕が『どこに行きたい』と言ったわけではないんですが…。ただ、自分で“行く”と決めたのは初めてでした。成長ではなく、覚悟を決めたというか。僕は、海外がそこまで好きではない。日本で、今までずっと自分でやってきた。それを変えるというのは、大きく変わることでもありますし、日本ではないということでちょっとつらいところもあるかもしれないけれど、残りのスケート人生に覚悟を持って練習していこうと思ったので。まだ行先(合宿地)は公表されていないので言うことはできませんが、まぁ…これ以上言わない方がいいな(笑)。頑張ってきます」

── そう思えたきっかけはなんでしょうか?
「世界選手権が終わって、すぐでした。たくさんいろんなことを考えて。本当に僕は僕なりに練習してきたつもりでした。中京大学ってすごく環境がいいんです。ただ、同じくらいのレベルで一緒に練習する相手がほしいと思いました。やはり、そういう高め合う人がいると刺激し合って、“自分が意識してなくても自然とやる”ということがあると思うんです。1人でやっていると、まず自分で自分に厳しくいなきゃいけない。(これまで)なるべく厳しくやったつもりではいましたけど、それがもし同じレベルで戦っている人がいたら、その(なるべく厳しくやろうと思いながらの)練習は何も考えなくてもできたんじゃないのか、って。自分に厳しくやることは、難しいことでもあり、大変なことでもありましたので、わざわざ(そんな)大変な課程を踏むことがもったいないかな、と」

── それが覚悟なんですね。
「そうですね。僕にとっては大きな覚悟でした。僕は『覚悟を決める』という言葉があまり好きではないというか、もっと大きな言葉だと思っていて、あまり使わないようにしていたんですけど、そんな僕が本当に『覚悟を決めた』と言える決断をしたのかな、と。今シーズン(’19-’20シーズン)は合宿が始まったら真剣にスケートに向き合う、それまではけがしない程度にちゃんとシーズンオフを過ごして、そこから切り替えていこうかなと思っています」

── 合宿はいつ行って、いつ帰ってくるのですか?
「正式な日程があまり分からないんですけど…。6月の中旬か下旬か、それぐらいに1カ月ちょっと行って、アイスショーに(出演するために)帰ってきます。そして、その後もまた行く。シーズンオフ中は合宿の期間の方が長いかもしれないです」

── コーチはもう決まっていますか? コーチに期待はありますか?
「そうですね…。どちらかというと“環境”が楽しみです。うまい選手がいる環境にいくことに、ワクワクしています」

Imov

Medalist
I am excited to see Shoma's programmes.
About the training tidbits, I trust his entire to team to help make the best decision for him.
He might be very frustrated now but with proper rest and a clear mind I believe he can bounce back.

rabidline

Final Flight
Table tennis with the Tree! I was just thinking about how we never saw the tournament with the Royal Brothers, because Itsuki was too busy with his exams. They went to Jiyu Gakuen school in Nagoya and played doubles table tennis with the kids. There were 13 teams of kids who tried to beat the Royal Brothers, but no one beat them!

https://translate.google.com/transl...://jiyu-gakuen.jp/2019/05/11/☆宇野昌磨君・樹君と卓球大会☆/

https://twitter.com/mikufskate_0039/status/1127377168839786497?s=20

Aaaah, isn't this the same foster house in Nagoya they visited earlier this year? I remember Shoma gave his OSM for one of the kids to wear and they have a very sweet photo of it. Shoma and Itsuki look so happy playing table tennis with them! And I guess we now know where the homemade medals that were shown by Shoma and Itsuki in one of Itsuki's latest tweets are from- they are wearing the same clothes at the visit, I presume the kids made it for them <3

Shoma being a supportive brother and braving the sun and heat for Itsuki's hockey match warms my heart. That long-sleeved black shirt makes me feel hot (literally) just seeing it from the photos: perhaps he has to wear it to protect his skin?

Shoma's Colanttote interview mentioned this:

ただ年齢が21になって、世界選手権が終わるまでは僕はもっともっと長くスケート人生をやるつもりでずっとやってきたんですけど、そうではなくて、“長く続ける”というのを捨てて(これから)練習していこう、と思いました」

Don't know how to translate it properly. But it seems Shoma, after worlds, is now taking a more reckless (or desperate) approach regarding training?

Unfortunately we don't have a full translation on the Colantotte interview yet, skatefan22! yawning_shoma mentioned on Twitter that the whole Q&A was cute, but they are really busy so they haven't been able to translate it yet. The speculations of where he'll be going to train has been really fun to follow though!

From my perspective I think this training camp is quite a big deal for Shoma. One of the highlights of the Colantotte interview was that he said that this is the first time he didn't ask "Where will I be going?" for his training camp abroad, but this is one he decided himself and seems very determined to see it through and bring fruitful results. Knowing how he prefers to train in Japan compared to going abroad to other countries, it's quite intriguing to know that he seems to be in a very good spirit for this.

One of my highlights of the interview is the part where he talks about his programs. Very happy to know how he's grown to enjoy both TAT and Grespi a lot, because he said he found both styles of music difficult at first and wasn't sure about whether he'll do them well. Especially TAT where he said he feels that he's matured in expression by doing it, which I personally agree with ;) He sounds happy that he's able to challenge different music and different styles, I can't wait to know what kind of music he challenges next! Why is The Ice so far away from now XDDDD

jerrymouse333

On the Ice
Country
Japan
skatefan22 and rabidline
I really enjoyed Colanttote event, but I almost cried to know about after event interview.
Shoma is only the one for me so I’d like to see him as long as he can skate as a competitor.
He told that he he gave up long-lived career.
He always doesn’t want to say “determine’, but he said ‘determine’ this time.
I’d like to support him from the bottom of my heart and I’m lucky to be his fan.

rabidline
Yes, I can’t wait to see PIW on TV.
I wish to see TAT and Great Spirit and fureai time if possible.

I could get tickets for The Ice Osaka and The Ice Nagoya.
What programs and what costumes?
Who is the rest of the members?
What collaborations?
I can’t wait!

I don’t have any idea about new secret camp, but I really want him to enjoy new place and get well with new fellow skaters.
He is not perfect yet but he can be better and better.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

rabidline

Final Flight
It's 5/13 in Japan already, so:

Queen of beautiful nails, skate sharpener extraordinaire, owner of the best coat in the world, head cheerleader, comforter in chief, smiler of the 1,000 watt smiles -- the incomparable Fluffy. Happy Birthday and thank you for everything you do for our Shoma!

A tribute to her nickname - THE COAT! https://youtu.be/W2qhTqnZqyI?t=311
(note the matching nails!)

Aaaaah Happy Birthday to the incomparable, amazing, mysterious, humble and talented coach and choreographer Mihoko Higuchi-sensei, owner of an unique music playlist, flawless nails and the most heartwarming smile at K&C! Very grateful to always have her having Shoma's back and looking after him.

Sometimes I wish we can have more interviews with her about her perspective of the programs she made for Shoma and her other students like Mako, Kanako and others. As a musician I would love to know how and what she thinks about the music used in the programs that she has made especially XD

OniBan

Final Flight
Happy birthday to the Coach Fluffy - the smiliest and happiest coach I've ever seen (have you ever seen her cross at Shoma? never!) May she always reside at Fluffy's bar, sporting her glorious and chic mane, donning the snazziest looking coats, choreographing the best programs and giving Shoma the warmest and tightest hugs.

You know what it just struck me that I'd really like to see - maybe a TV segment of the making of a program, featuring Mihoko and Shoma. The process of choosing the music, building the choreography and how she works together with Shoma. We've seen quite a few of these 'making of' segments from other skaters and choreographers.. I would really love to see how Mihoko comes up with her programs, her thoughts in constructing the elements in a program and so forth. It would be so cool, and such an interesting insight into her role as a choreographer, that we rarely see aside from the actual programs she had done.

Maybe if I wish hard enough, some TV producers in Japan will pick it up? :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
skatefan22 and rabidline
I really enjoyed Colanttote event, but I almost cried to know about after event interview.
Shoma is only the one for me so I’d like to see him as long as he can skate as a competitor.
He told that he he gave up long-lived career.
He always doesn’t want to say “determine’, but he said ‘determine’ this time.
I’d like to support him from the bottom of my heart and I’m lucky to be his fan.

rabidline
Yes, I can’t wait to see PIW on TV.
I wish to see TAT and Great Spirit and fureai time if possible.

I could get tickets for The Ice Osaka and The Ice Nagoya.
What programs and what costumes?
Who is the rest of the members?
What collaborations?
I can’t wait!

I don’t have any idea about new secret camp, but I really want him to enjoy new place and get well with new fellow skaters.
He is not perfect yet but he can be better and better.

It’s sad to hear that he does not contemplate a long skating carrier, but he already felt different than the other skaters when he was talking about e-sports rather than coaching/choreography like a lot of other skaters. He does compete and perform to the max, so perhaps that’s what drives him to go all in, the thought that it is not a long-term.

He has an engaging character.

Looking forward to the full interview once the good folks have time to translate it.