Should I sharpen my skates now? | Golden Skate

Should I sharpen my skates now?

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
Hi, I got my coronation ace blades in January this year. I have never had them sharpened since. The thing is it is November now lol. My coach said continue skating as you don't have problems on the ice. I can now do sitspins, uprights up to 20 revolutions. Can easily do single flips, loops, salchows... I can do double threes and combine it with jumps and all. I've even started practicing brackets. I feel like my blades are just working fine but maybe because I used to skating slow? I don't even know if I'm slow that much. I rigorously train up to 10 hours a week. Why am I still able to skate well with these blades lol? Should I get them sharpened now? Or should I wait more up to a point where my blades get duller and I end up falling and injuring myself? I'm confused...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, I got my coronation ace blades in January this year. I have never had them sharpened since. The thing is it is November now lol. My coach said continue skating as you don't have problems on the ice. I can now do sitspins, uprights up to 20 revolutions. Can easily do single flips, loops, salchows... I can do double threes and combine it with jumps and all. I've even started practicing brackets. I feel like my blades are just working fine but maybe because I used to skating slow? I don't even know if I'm slow that much. I rigorously train up to 10 hours a week. Why am I still able to skate well with these blades lol? Should I get them sharpened now? Or should I wait more up to a point where my blades get duller and I end up falling and injuring myself? I'm confused...
Your blades should have been sharpened long ago and many times by now. Were they sharpened when you got them in January or are you skating on the manufacturer sharpening still? Which is not a good thing.

Either way, you need to get your blades checked and if they are ok, get them sharpened and have them sharpened about once every month or so, unless you feel they need it sooner.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I can't imagine how worn down they are now. You need to get them sharpened regularly. I would probably start with a 1/2" grind and see how that feels. You need a little bit of grippiness to provide stability on your jump landings.

SK4T3

Rinkside
I maintain my John Wilson Coronation Ace Blades with love and care; don't walk on my EDEA E-Guards (except 2Meters to the Ice); dry them with a soft cloth; store and transport them in Soft Covers. At home I will air them out in the same position as skating on the ice on a towel for about 24h.

While my blades are still looking in brand new condition they feel "flat"; no sharp edges.

My personal Fitter / Skate-Tech is overbooked; so I have to make appointments early. So I made a notebook of all my skating activities and counting "Operating Hours" so I can make an appointment in advance.

In my situation (Lot's of single jumps) they are gone in nearly 70hours; I will bring back my sharpening to ~60 Operating Hours.

Heard about 30h; but that's for more advanced skaters than me.

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
Your blades should have been sharpened long ago and many times by now. Were they sharpened when you got them in January or are you skating on the manufacturer sharpening still? Which is not a good thing.

Either way, you need to get your blades checked and if they are ok, get them sharpened and have them sharpened about once every month or so, unless you feel they need it sooner.
It still has the manufacturer sharpening... The thing is where I lice no place is trustworthy so I can have them sharpened... That's why I have never had them sharpened. I'm gonna check it out. It's interesting that I can still skate on them. Thank you so much for your help!

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
I maintain my John Wilson Coronation Ace Blades with love and care; don't walk on my EDEA E-Guards (except 2Meters to the Ice); dry them with a soft cloth; store and transport them in Soft Covers. At home I will air them out in the same position as skating on the ice on a towel for about 24h.

While my blades are still looking in brand new condition they feel "flat"; no sharp edges.

My personal Fitter / Skate-Tech is overbooked; so I have to make appointments early. So I made a notebook of all my skating activities and counting "Operating Hours" so I can make an appointment in advance.

In my situation (Lot's of single jumps) they are gone in nearly 70hours; I will bring back my sharpening to ~60 Operating Hours.

Heard about 30h; but that's for more advanced skaters than me.
That's how I exactly take care of them when I'm not on the ice. They are flat now but not damaged or anything. I'm gonna get them sharpened as soon as I can.