Skate fitters in Oklahoma or Dallas? | Golden Skate

Skate fitters in Oklahoma or Dallas?

Raemoon

Spectator
Hello everyone! My name is Rae,

I am a 19y/o fem skater who's been skating for 2 years, 10 months. I'm about 115lbs, and I currently skate in the only boots I've ever had, the Jackson Freestyle boots (black) with their standard blade (the aspire I believe).
My coach says I'm in level freeskate 4. I'm working on my backspin, catch camel spin, double sal and loop, my Lutz, and axel of course. For the past year I have been struggling with fitting issues in my skates. I believe the freestyle boots have caused bursitis on the backs of my heels. I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with that and recommended physical therapy and stretches that are supposed to help (Now I am stretching every day and before practice). I also suspect that I pronate my ankles slightly inward, which also could have caused my heel issues.
I am looking into new skates that will fit properly and stop agitating the backs of my heels so much, insoles/inserts to help with pronation and high arch pain, as well as blades that will help me spin and turn!
As for Boots:
I unfortunately live in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma area and we just have one main skate shop (the Blazers Ice Arena) which I've never been to before. I definitely need a good fitter who will know what boot to put me in, and perhaps a custom mounting of the blades so they can be adjusted properly.
As for Blades, I've done some research and figured out that I definitely want a blade ment for spinning. Spinning is my favorite thing to do! I have been recommended the coronation Ace blades by another skater, and I recognize they are very common and popular blades to get. However, I can see myself skating for the rest of my life and I like to have my equipment last me a long time even if it costs a lot upfront. So I was also considering maybe the MK gold star blades. My friend let me try on her very broken down edea ice flies with gold seal blades (which she says are simmilar to the gold star), and spinning on them was effortless compared to my skates. 💀 So if you have any advice or skate fitter/technician recommendations in the Oklahoma and Dallas area please let me know until then I am going to keep saving for new boots.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone! My name is Rae,

I am a 19y/o fem skater who's been skating for 2 years, 10 months. I'm about 115lbs, and I currently skate in the only boots I've ever had, the Jackson Freestyle boots (black) with their standard blade (the aspire I believe).
My coach says I'm in level freeskate 4. I'm working on my backspin, catch camel spin, double sal and loop, my Lutz, and axel of course. For the past year I have been struggling with fitting issues in my skates. I believe the freestyle boots have caused bursitis on the backs of my heels. I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with that and recommended physical therapy and stretches that are supposed to help (Now I am stretching every day and before practice). I also suspect that I pronate my ankles slightly inward, which also could have caused my heel issues.
I am looking into new skates that will fit properly and stop agitating the backs of my heels so much, insoles/inserts to help with pronation and high arch pain, as well as blades that will help me spin and turn!
As for Boots:
I unfortunately live in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma area and we just have one main skate shop (the Blazers Ice Arena) which I've never been to before. I definitely need a good fitter who will know what boot to put me in, and perhaps a custom mounting of the blades so they can be adjusted properly.
As for Blades, I've done some research and figured out that I definitely want a blade ment for spinning. Spinning is my favorite thing to do! I have been recommended the coronation Ace blades by another skater, and I recognize they are very common and popular blades to get. However, I can see myself skating for the rest of my life and I like to have my equipment last me a long time even if it costs a lot upfront. So I was also considering maybe the MK gold star blades. My friend let me try on her very broken down edea ice flies with gold seal blades (which she says are simmilar to the gold star), and spinning on them was effortless compared to my skates. 💀 So if you have any advice or skate fitter/technician recommendations in the Oklahoma and Dallas area please let me know until then I am going to keep saving for new boots.
There's really nothing good in the Oklahoma and even Dallas areas---all hockey. The best and only real Figure skating based shop is gone in Dallas. The best shot is going to be Houston. You'll have to travel to get what is best for you, figure skating isn't incredibly popular out there.

Also, you definitely need a figure skating pro to fit you b/c with the heel issues you are having it's got something to do with possibly being in wrong boots. You'll need a boot brand that will support having high arches. I have very high arches and I wear Risport.
Traditional MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace blades would be your best choices for your level right now, the current blade you are on has a too flat rocker. You don't need anything like Gold Seals/Gold Stars at this point at in your skating journey. You also don't need anything close to an Edea Ice Fly just FYI. Also, boots and blades "don't last a long time" sorry to break that news to you. After so many sharpenings, blades will need replaced. Boots wear down/break down/and you need stiffer ones as you progress. Just want to put that up front.
If you have any other questions, just ask! :)
FYI: You may need at some point to skate with simple elastic based slip on brace on your feet/ankles to extra support the ankles and prevent possibility of tendonitis in your ankles due to your issue with supination. I have the same thing.

Fun coincidence, I helped someone with the same equipment and issues from OKC a week ago here. :cool:

Last edited:

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
There's really nothing good in the Oklahoma and even Dallas areas---all hockey. The best and only real Figure skating based shop is gone in Dallas. The best shot is going to be Houston. You'll have to travel to get what is best for you, figure skating isn't incredibly popular out there.
The link @Ic3Rabbit gave you above is an excellent place to go! Patti Larkin is very knowledgeable and great at handling all kinds of issues! It is definitely worth it to travel to Houston!

Raemoon

Spectator

Also, you definitely need a figure skating pro to fit you b/c with the heel issues you are having it's got something to do with possibly being in wrong boots. You'll need a boot brand that will support having high arches. I have very high arches and I wear Risport.
Traditional MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace blades would be your best choices for your level right now, the current blade you are on has a too flat rocker. You don't need anything like Gold Seals/Gold Stars at this point at in your skating journey. You also don't need anything close to an Edea Ice Fly just FYI. Also, boots and blades "don't last a long time" sorry to break that news to you. After so many sharpenings, blades will need replaced. Boots wear down/break down/and you need stiffer ones as you progress. Just want to put that up front.
If you have any other questions, just ask! :)
FYI: You may need at some point to skate with simple elastic based slip on brace on your feet/ankles to extra support the ankles and prevent possibility of tendonitis in your ankles due to your issue with supination. I have the same thing.

Fun coincidence, I helped someone with the same equipment and issues from OKC a week ago here. :cool:
Thank you so much for your advice, I've scheduled an appointment with the fitter you recommended. I'm sure they'll find a boot and blade combo that works for me. :)