Skate Fitting: Was in Riedells, Jackson woes, looking at Edeas | Golden Skate

Skate Fitting: Was in Riedells, Jackson woes, looking at Edeas

sweetsephia

Spectator
Firstly--Fitter recommendations (near) South-Eastern Washington welcome!
I got a pair of Riedell Strides w/ the stock Capri Blade in 2017 after being in some busted soft skates for a year or so; they were rather comfortable to me, with no break in time. I basically skated in them until the foam was literally falling apart--chunks of it are missing from toe flexion, as well as the tongue is falling apart (which given 2-3 years of 10-13 hours a week... and being in various non-ideal storage places for another 3-4... rather impressive IMO). The blade also had nothing left. So I went to the local "pro shop" (it's more hockey focused) but they suggested Jackson Freestyles.

Now, I hadn't been in new skates in so long, as well as gone up a half size. They were fine when I tried them, albeit a bit stiff. They were also more room-y. At first, it was really amazing because I had a proper rocker again, and my edges overall improved, but they quickly felt "Loose" all the time. I've been wearing them a little over a month and skated around 25 hours. They feel incredibly loose now, my heel lifts slightly, as well as it sometimes feels like my arch is wiggling (no matter how tight I tie them--the eyelets have already started to show damage despite properly pulling "out" rather than 'up" most times). And recently, now my feet slide forward, despite there almost being no (forward) space for them to do, into the toe when I do spins and try to jump again. The worst problem is the super thin tongue. I can feel the laces, especially since I have "bony" feet and it compresses a nerve in my instep when I skate sometimes. I added pads and it's helped slightly. I feel really disappointed because Jacksons have been suggested to me again and again and AGAIN (i don't think I can quite exaggerate how many time they've been suggested to me.

I'm trying to find a (good) pro-shop/fitter that I can actually get to. I've been really tempted to get Edeas, just because I feel like the forward/backward floppiness might actually be something I appreciate, but I haven't had an opportunity to try them on in real life.
I did a usual no-no and sent foot tracing to get fitted and had a long conversation with someone because my feet are somewhat standard to narrow, but compressible. They get squashed width-wise very easily, and I have a rather narrow ankle. They also interest me because I do like (very) padded skates based on trying my mother's skates something like 8 years ago, and very "floppy" skates. What I do most is just footwork and minimal jumps (Basically none right now because of the jackson issue :mad: )

I feel like Riedells also might be a good choice, especially given they narrow, but am not sure how they would fit given I've developed more bunion since I was fitted so long ago, and my feet are slightly wider than when I was first fitted.
I am also currently in my early 20s, 5'3", and about 140 lbs.
Honestly, I just don't know anymore and I feel really frustrated with the money I spent on the Jacksons and feeling like they're just getting worse. Solidarity at least that I'm not going insane atm.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Firstly--Fitter recommendations (near) South-Eastern Washington welcome!
I got a pair of Riedell Strides w/ the stock Capri Blade in 2017 after being in some busted soft skates for a year or so; they were rather comfortable to me, with no break in time. I basically skated in them until the foam was literally falling apart--chunks of it are missing from toe flexion, as well as the tongue is falling apart (which given 2-3 years of 10-13 hours a week... and being in various non-ideal storage places for another 3-4... rather impressive IMO). The blade also had nothing left. So I went to the local "pro shop" (it's more hockey focused) but they suggested Jackson Freestyles.

Now, I hadn't been in new skates in so long, as well as gone up a half size. They were fine when I tried them, albeit a bit stiff. They were also more room-y. At first, it was really amazing because I had a proper rocker again, and my edges overall improved, but they quickly felt "Loose" all the time. I've been wearing them a little over a month and skated around 25 hours. They feel incredibly loose now, my heel lifts slightly, as well as it sometimes feels like my arch is wiggling (no matter how tight I tie them--the eyelets have already started to show damage despite properly pulling "out" rather than 'up" most times). And recently, now my feet slide forward, despite there almost being no (forward) space for them to do, into the toe when I do spins and try to jump again. The worst problem is the super thin tongue. I can feel the laces, especially since I have "bony" feet and it compresses a nerve in my instep when I skate sometimes. I added pads and it's helped slightly. I feel really disappointed because Jacksons have been suggested to me again and again and AGAIN (i don't think I can quite exaggerate how many time they've been suggested to me.

I'm trying to find a (good) pro-shop/fitter that I can actually get to. I've been really tempted to get Edeas, just because I feel like the forward/backward floppiness might actually be something I appreciate, but I haven't had an opportunity to try them on in real life.
I did a usual no-no and sent foot tracing to get fitted and had a long conversation with someone because my feet are somewhat standard to narrow, but compressible. They get squashed width-wise very easily, and I have a rather narrow ankle. They also interest me because I do like (very) padded skates based on trying my mother's skates something like 8 years ago, and very "floppy" skates. What I do most is just footwork and minimal jumps (Basically none right now because of the jackson issue :mad: )

I feel like Riedells also might be a good choice, especially given they narrow, but am not sure how they would fit given I've developed more bunion since I was fitted so long ago, and my feet are slightly wider than when I was first fitted.
I am also currently in my early 20s, 5'3", and about 140 lbs.
Honestly, I just don't know anymore and I feel really frustrated with the money I spent on the Jacksons and feeling like they're just getting worse. Solidarity at least that I'm not going insane atm.
Edea, Graf, Riedell, but not in that order. Also, why are you spending so much time on the ice?

sweetsephia

Spectator
Edea, Graf, Riedell, but not in that order. Also, why are you spending so much time on the ice?
several years ago I had access to a free ice skating rink (that was almost always empty--thank you college campus haha) and would skate every day after classes and then on the weekend, too, to relax.
20 hours is a rough estimate since Jan 24 when I go them just because I made it through my whole punch card at my current rink -- I recently was able to work from home for fewer hours and so ice skating has become something to do once more I usually end up skating for 1-3 hours on the weekend at public skates. and then 2-3 hours on weekdays at the freestyle sessions.
ty for the suggestions!