skate recommendations | Golden Skate

skate recommendations

lexiskates

Spectator
Hello! I’m 17, around 12 stone and i’m looking for boots that will last me through all skate 8 uk basic skill levels (level 3 currently) and help me progress further. I’m currently looking at edea overtures but was wondering if they’d break down or what other boot should i look at? and blades?
I’m visiting a shop on the weekend but want ideas on what to ask for when visiting.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello! I’m 17, around 12 stone and i’m looking for boots that will last me through all skate 8 uk basic skill levels (level 3 currently) and help me progress further. I’m currently looking at edea overtures but was wondering if they’d break down or what other boot should i look at? and blades?
I’m visiting a shop on the weekend but want ideas on what to ask for when visiting.
Different brands fit differently shaped feet. The basics to consider are your toe shape (Egyptian, Greek, etc). your arch (high, medium, low), and if your feet are wide or narrow or mixed (narrow heels but average or wide across the ball of the foot).Your fitter should measure all parts of your foot, not just its length and get an idea that way which company's boots will be the right shape for you.

How tall are you? 12 stone is, if my math is correct, about 76 kg or 168 lbs, which makes a difference in the strength of boot you need, depending on your weight relative to your height.

Where in the UK are you? This forum has members there who can recommend the best skate shops and fitters in various regions. I'm in Canada, so no help in that way, I'm afraid, but those of us in different parts of the world can at least suggest brands of boots and blades. Good luck!

lexiskates

Spectator
Different brands fit differently shaped feet. The basics to consider are your toe shape (Egyptian, Greek, etc). your arch (high, medium, low), and if your feet are wide or narrow or mixed (narrow heels but average or wide across the ball of the foot).Your fitter should measure all parts of your foot, not just its length and get an idea that way which company's boots will be the right shape for you.

How tall are you? 12 stone is, if my math is correct, about 76 kg or 168 lbs, which makes a difference in the strength of boot you need, depending on your weight relative to your height.

Where in the UK are you? This forum has members there who can recommend the best skate shops and fitters in various regions. I'm in Canada, so no help in that way, I'm afraid, but those of us in different parts of the world can at least suggest brands of boots and blades. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply ☺️ I’m 5,7 and have quite wide feet. I’m based in the east midlands and the best shops i’ve heard of (everglades and als) are just sadly too far away from me.
I measured my feet and the length was 265 mm length and 11 1/2 inches wide i think

lexiskates

Spectator
Thank you for the reply ☺️ I’m 5,7 and have quite wide feet. I’m based in the east midlands and the best shops i’ve heard of (everglades and als) are just sadly too far away from me.
I measured my feet and the length was 265 mm length and 11 1/2 inches wide i think
nvm they are 110 mm i think or they were 9 inches, i’ll measure again tmr as i can’t remember aha

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The fitter will take your foot measurements, circumference at the ball of the foot, instep, ankle, etc -- make sure he/she does, and not just the length as clerks do for street shoes. Skate boots have to be the right dimensions all around including up over the ankle. I don't *think* your feet are 11 1/2" wide, unless you're a Hobbit ;), but your fitter will find that out :scratch2:. (Mine, for instance, are 220 mm/8 1/2" long and 76mm/3" wide at the ball of the foot -- quite thin.)

It's possible Jackson boots may also fit you, but I can't really tell without all the other measurements, which are difficult to take on your own feet. Just bending over to use the tape measure can spread your foot and give a false reading. Boots have to fit tightly, and then can be heat molded to adjust.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

I'm a UK skater and please trust me when I say that making the trip to either Everglides or Al's will save you time, money and pain. There's a branch of Al's at Deeside rink as well as the one in Blackpool, if that helps.

Based on your stats, I would put you in something stronger than Edea Overture, but it also depends on your skating style and how strong and confident you are with knee bend and edges. Advising over the internet is really a minefield. If you have fairly wide feet, then Jacksons are more likely to suit you and please don't accept anything "lower" than the Freestyle, which should take you comfortably up through the basic Learn to Skate levels. Debut would also be a good choice, but they require the purchase of a separate blade (Coronation Ace/MK Pro - traditional versions only! - or Legacy 7) and are considerably more expensive.

What I will say is that at any stage of skating you are unlikely to find a boot that lasts a long time. And if you do, then you're almost certainly compromising your progress by wearing something too stiff/advanced for you! I'm afraid that you have to factor in regular equipment replacements/changes as part of the cost of skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@lexiskates Look into Jackson boots. With your height/weight stats I wouldn't put you in anything lower than a Premiere 2800 (stiffness 65), possibly a Synergy Elite (60 stiffness). You'll need a good traditional intermediate blade to pair with those: MK Professional, John Wilson Coronation Ace, and if you cannot get those then Legacy 7 or 8 would work. I'm suggesting a wider shaped boot based on your info above.

Good luck!

Last edited: