Sofia Muravieva | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sofia Muravieva

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Rooting for my favourite Russian Lady. Elizaveta and her are the only two on the National Team outside the Eteri camp. I can’t wait to see her programs and from the video, it looks like she has all her triples and is focusing on regaining the 3A. My goal for her this year is to place in the top 6 at Nationals, again, this year.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sofia's SP:

NGL I actually went "Nooooo" when she slipped on the slide, everything was going so perfectly!

But! She's in 3rd so I've got everything crossed for her in the FS!

esteticlove

Final Flight
That was her best SP of the season. I’m hoping it is followed by her best free skate of the season.
Yeah, finally she wasnt rushing through the program and really felt it. I loved it. Also, I really like her soft landing on the 3A and I think she has the most stable one so far among the ladies. She has definitely earned that 2nd spot on the team and is a very strong contender for gold among the TOP3 ultra c- skaters Akatieva, Valieva and Petrosyan.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Interview before Swan Lake show

Its a shame they ask very basic questions and in response she gives very basic answers. Granted the interpreter's Russian was very low level.

In general though from what I've seen she seems to always express gratitude for her sport and opportunities, its a breath of fresh air as compared to most Russian skaters who tend to love drama. She doesn't exude much of that early maturity like Kostornaia or Lipnitskata did but she seems very joyous and grateful; her character is very likable.

Mathematician

Medalist

A new performance of this beyond gorgeous program.

@LolaSkatesInJapan How would you compare her tenderness and fluidity here as compared to Valieva? Since you say you were a ballerina, and I know how much you love Valieva (me too). But I feel that Muravieva really doesn't trail far behind Valieva at all in regards to her artistry and grace... Her potential is absolutely tremendous.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Mathematician Artistically wise, after watching this performance above, I see a lot missing. See at 3:18, not sure the robotic arms were intentional. Her extensions need improvement. For a ballet inspired program which is what she went for here, her upper body and arm work were just not good, in my humble opinion as a former professional ballerina trained in Russia.
She is a work in progress and talented. I see a clear ballet foundation in Kamila Valieva, but not here. Sorry!
Also, she needs a TON of growth performance wise going for ballet inspired programs/music and here is totally missing.

Mathematician

Medalist
@Mathematician Artistically wise, after watching this performance above, I see a lot missing. See at 3:18, not sure the robotic arms were intentional. Her extensions need improvement. For a ballet inspired program which is what she went for here, her upper body and arm work were just not good, in my humble opinion as a former professional ballerina trained in Russia.
She is a work in progress and talented. I see a clear ballet foundation in Kamila Valieva, but not here. Sorry!
Also, she needs a TON of growth performance wise going for ballet inspired programs/music and here is totally missing.
Well, you should probably know better than me, so I wont argue with that. Maybe I'm just too easily enchanted by her aura. :scratch2:

What did you think of her test skates short program?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Well, you should probably know better than me, so I wont argue with that. Maybe I'm just too easily enchanted by her aura. :scratch2:

What did you think of her test skates short program?

MUCH, much better, and way more suitable for her. She's an amazing skater. But not for a ballet inspired program.

THIS is a gorgeous ballet inspired beautifully excecuted program (Sasha Cohen, one of the 2 USA skaters I really love. The other is Michelle Kwan). Excuse her jumps, she's not a jumper, but look at her extensions. Her arms line and back line. Gorgeous.
Sasha Cohen wasn't a jumper and not a consistent skater, sadly, but she was a ballerina on ice, great artistry.

(jump to minute 1:38 for the start of the program)

Here is one of my favorite of her performances. Ignore the fall, she wasn't a jumper. But see the quality of interpretation and her stunning body line and extensions

Someone like this suitable for ballet programs.

Mathematician

Medalist
MUCH, much better, and way more suitable for her. She's an amazing skater. But not for a ballet inspired program.

THIS is a gorgeous ballet inspired beautifully excecuted program (Sasha Cohen, one of the 2 USA skaters I really love. The other is Michelle Kwan). Excuse her jumps, she's not a jumper, but look at her extensions. Her arms line and back line. Gorgeous.
Sasha Cohen wasn't a jumper and not a consistent skater, sadly, but she was a ballerina on ice, great artistry.

(jump to minute 1:38 for the start of the program)

Here is one of my favorite of her performances. Ignore the fall, she wasn't a jumper. But see the quality of interpretation and her stunning body line and extensions

Someone like this suitable for ballet programs.
Fair enough. My perspective is also quite limited because I refuse to watch non-Russian skaters. :slink:

I guess you are probably right about her style. I think this program was shockingly good, honestly - her speed, the complexity and engagement of her choreo... love her. I think she distinguishes herself still as a dancer, if perhaps not as a ballerina.

Mathematician

Medalist

Muravieva's free skate for 2023/24. Not as impressive as her short program, more was expected, but still a good and enjoyable skate by all means.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

A new performance of this beyond gorgeous program.

@LolaSkatesInJapan How would you compare her tenderness and fluidity here as compared to Valieva? Since you say you were a ballerina, and I know how much you love Valieva (me too). But I feel that Muravieva really doesn't trail far behind Valieva at all in regards to her artistry and grace... Her potential is absolutely tremendous.

Thank you, this is really beautiful! Kamila Valieva skated to this music at 8 if I remember correctly? It was to her greatest credit not to be ridiculous at such a young age skating to the Dying Swan, but of course Sofia Muravieva's program and interpretation are more elaborate. I believe that she has the necessary lyricism and carriage, but as LolaSkatesInJapan I noticed that she hadn't understood yet the purpose of the arm moves at 3:18 and that she could progress in general with age. Yuzuru Hanyu also skated to the Dying Swan (with "typical serenade" lyrics), from nearly 22 to 28, of course it's more elaborate (though less purely balletic), and he's still progressing, in spite of the fact that several of his interpretations along the years can be viewed as perfection made skating (I'll send videos in his fan fest if you want to see). Of course there are several other examples in ballet, each ballerina growing in this piece with time (including the tragi-comic version of two Trockadero dancers), the best documented being Maia Plissetskaya. But Sofia Muravieva having the talent, if she goes on with this program, which I hope, I believe that in time it will become a dream of a program.