Sota Yamamoto | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Difference of opinions, nothing more. Case closed.

-----------

Found this content on one of the blogs, from the same Fuji TV show yesterday where the program announcement was made:
(shamelessly borrowed - thanks!)
「五月、外でランニングをしたり、自宅でトレーニングやジャンプ、表現の練習をしています」
ずっと家にいるので、動画や映画を見たり、料理をしたり、大声で歌ったりしてリフレッシュしています」
「新シーズンのプログラム、ショートは『黒い瞳』。華やかな曲で滑りたかった」
フリーは『ドラゴン』。ノービスAの時に滑った曲で、もう1度滑ってみたいと思うことが多くなり、編曲や振付けは以前とは変わりますが、この曲にしました」

I think it says: "In May, I was running outside, traning at home, working on my expression - things like that. Since I am at home all the time, I watch videos and movies, I cook, and sing aloud and refresh(??) myself.
My programs for the new season - the short is 'Dark Eyes'. I wanted to skate to the gorgeous piece. The free is 'Dragon'. It is a piece I skated to in Novice A, and I came to want to try skating to it once more; the music arrangement and the choreography will change, but I chose this piece (?- IDK how to translate この曲にしました).
A bit clumsy, but I did my best. Corrections welcome.

There was also this video of Sota doing push-ups and having fun:
https://twitter.com/szm1108/status/1268916161149730816
Isn't it aww-inspiring? ^ ^

KiraraChin

Medalist
Does anyone know what version of 'Dark Eyes' Sota will be using? There are a few versions on YouTube, including one by Bob Dylan which is noticeably slower :)
I do agree that's not the kind of music that screams 'Sota' to me, and I do find it difficult to picture him as with a sort of 'gypsy' persona. I think it will definitely be a challenge for him in terms of expression! Having said that, I also had my doubts when Moulin Rouge was announced for Kazuki and he ended up nailing it, so never say never :biggrin:

As for the FS, I think it could work! He's already familiar with the music and I think Sota can pull off 'hero' music well, as we saw with Nobunaga Concerto.

At this stage, I'm mostly intrigued by the choices, and keeping an open mind. They are definitely very different from last season, so that's interesting!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
An excerpt from Sota interview in FS Life vol.21, published 5/29/20) Overseas delivery service is available from these sellers.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4594615392
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/neowing-r/neobk-2493902/

-How was the level of completion of your programs going into the Japanese Nationals? I thought your expression improved each time you competed.Ohhh (laughs). I think I had been practicing hard, so much so that I got more and more tired. But I was still not very good, in my opinion. (laughs). When I look at myself objectively, I think so, and I think my placement was the right one considering how I skated.

--When I rewatched your video at the Japanese Nationals, I noticed your smile which was hard to describe when you were at the short side.Ah, hah! Ah, in the free program? At the NHK Cup, for the first time, the short-side camera zoomed in when I looked at it, and both the short side audience and those who saw the screen squeed "kjaer (in falsetto)" hehe (laughs), and I said to myself, "Great, I'll give my best shot at the steps." So when I was at the Japanese Nationals, I saw a camera in front of me and I did the same thing to grab the audience’s attention. But despite my attempt to give a strong impression, the audience became so quiet that I thought, "Huh?" (laughs). I laughed because I couldn’t excite the audience (laughs).
-So that’s what gave you the look!After that, I thought "I didn’t get much audience’s reaction..." and looked at the audience to check on them (laughs).
--You felt a little lonely (laughs).

--What was the reason you decided to ask Hayashi sensei?
I was exploring possibilities:“Should I choose a coach in Aichi because I go to college there?“How about the one who coaches many famous skaters?” and “How about going overseas?”

--Did you consider overseas coaches as an option?
Well, just a little bit though. But after all, I'm not good at English (laughs), and I didn't think I would do well overseas. I wanted to learn jump technique the most, and it was Hayashi sensei who I thought would be best at coaching jumps. Under Hayashi sensei, skaters were training together, and many of them are good jumpers. Also, Hayashi sensei had taught me the basics of skating for the very first time, so I thought the foundation of my jumps was his style and I would fit in. On top of that I really liked Hayashi sensei so I switched to his team.

--Looks like you are having fun with Hayashi sensei because he has many male skaters such as Keiji Tanaka, Kazuki Kushida and Nozomu Yoshioka.
We goof around a lot all the time (laughs)

--They are at the level landing triple axel and quads, do they boost your enthusiasm?
Yes, I jump quads too, and now I'm in off season I'm training salchow and loop. Kazuki (Kushida) also has a 4 loop which he rotates well (laughs), and Keiji-kun's 4 toe loop and 4 salchow are stable. So I'm really having fun practicing and inspired by them every day. Every week Keiji-kun, Nozomu-kun and I go to the NTC (National Training Center) together, and our sensei goes there as well, and I do feel that my training is going very well.

--Did Hayshi sensei change the way he treats you from when you were little?
I used to get scolded all the time when I was little. Haha! I was playing and having fun and didn't skate seriously at all (laughs). Half the time I was playing and although I worked hard, I think there were many things I skipped. But lately, I've grown up and I've been practicing more and more without being told ... Well, since I’ve just joined the team a little while ago, maybe he hasn’t had time to scold me yet (laughs).

--Because it's just the beginning (laughs).
Recently he’s started to tell me off, but it's better that he is strict like that. I haven't been scolded harshly yet (laughs).

--But he knows you since you were a kid, so he has no reason to hesitate to scold you?
Yes, but I get the feeling that he is tougher on Keiji-kun, and I think it will be different when the season starts.

--These days what are the things you do to make him upset with you?
The last time he yelled at me it went like this; during practice I popped (quad) salchow at the take-off, so he decided to get me to work on my triples to get them into good solid form, so I did only triples for several days. But one day I thought, "I want to do quads." Ahaha! (Laughs). I was scolded when I tried to do a quad (laughs).

--He said “Not yet!”?
He yelled at me “Don't do that!” That was the first time I got scolded for trying a quad. At that time he told me that my triples were getting into better form, and I would mess them up (by jumping quads). So I continued to train triples for a while. But this week I started quad training and I was able to land a quad on my first attempt, and I actually feel that my training is coming along very nicely.

--About quads, is it your initial goal to stabilize the toe loop and salchow?
Ummm, I guess so. Axel too. I had a weird issue with stroking right before the entrance of the Axel jump, and he helped me improve a lot.

--What kind of quirk did you have when you were preparing to enter the jump?
It turned out I dropped my speed by applying the brake when I was stroking backward. It was like I was applying the brake with my toe and my upper body leaned slightly forward. So when I took off, I couldn't get into the proper trajectory and I got off balance. Other skaters take off the jump following the proper backward stroke, but I was not doing it the right way, so I’ve improved a lot by correcting it.

--How did you correct it? By paying attention to that issue?
That too. Also he told me all the time that during stroking my body bent around my hip when I raised my leg, so he helped me fix it, to get started. He pointed out that it also led to my improper backward stroke (before the jump). I have been able to practice paying attention to my issues like that, and I feel that I am getting a lot better than before.

-To be continued...

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Rainbow! I love this interview, it's super-informative.
Good to hear that Sota is feeling at ease in Nishinomiya and so far, Hayashi doesn't wear him out too much.

Yes, I jump quads too, and now I'm in off season I'm training salchow and loop. Kazuki (Kushida) also has a 4 loop which he rotates well

omg :eek: A jump considered to be extremely hard, and without left toepick assistance... I'd hoped he'd go for the flip instead. I don't want to think what Sota's ankle is thinking of its master now. :drama:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
(Last part of an excerpt from FS Life 21 Sota Interview)

“After all, I wish I could say skating skills are my strength.”

--At this point in time, where do you think you need to improve besides jumps?
Hmm. Skating skills.

--Skating skills?
I have a long way to go.

--But I suppose everyone thinks of Yamamoto senshu as someone with good skating skills.
It was probably last year...... as I tried various things such as working on new programs and adding different jumps, my skating skills that I thought my strength got worse. Sensei pointed that out and I also realized that myself. I am practicing hard, paying attention to this problem so that I will be able to say that they are my strength and get recognized for them again.

--Are there anything you would like to do in your training from now on? Like the compulsory figures you mentioned earlier.
Right now I don't have any competitions, so I’m doing compulsory figures and learning skating skills. It may be because we’re now in the off-season that I take my time and spend 10 or 5 minutes drawing a loop (on the ice). Since I take many such lessons, I have become quite attentive to skating skills.

--Hayashi sensei is the very last generation of compulsory figures. (t/n: Compulsory figures were eliminated from international single skating competitions starting in July 1990, and younger coaches don’t have learning experience of compulsory figures themselves.)
Each time he points out my flaws to be corrected (laugh).

--What do you think are your strengths now?
Hmm. Hmm, let me think, ahhhh, I wonder what it is... I cannot come up of anything (laughs)

--Please squeeze something out (laughs).
Hmm. Hmmm (laughs)

--Something you think you’re not too shabby about.
Only when I land cleanly, the quality of jumps. The quality of each one, but there are also times when my jumps are bad, and just like everyone else I have ups and downs so I can't say anything (laughs). I would like my jumps, the speed of the spin, and other things to be better to make them my strengths.

--What do you want most to be your strength?
I guess it’s skating skills. When I was little, I was told that I skated really fast just by gliding on the ice without paying attention to the speed, but I don't think I don’t get that often lately! (Laughs).
--(laughs)
I think it's getting worse because I do more difficult jumps. So now I think if I speed up my skating and gain momentum, it may improve the quality of the jump and have a big impact on the program. So I am working hard on skating skills.

--What area did you make progress by doing Pasquale Camerlengo 's programs?
I changed the way I see things. I still regret that I couldn't perfect last season's programs, but I learned a lot and I was able to experience a lot of things, and I have a feeling that I'll definitely take advantage of what I learned in the coming season.

--Have you decide who to ask for choreography next season?
Both will be done by Kenji (Miyamoto). Well, I want to change both, but sensei said, "No, I don't think you should change your free program." We had this back-and-forth many times (laughs).

--Which sensei?
Hayashi sensei. I guess Hayashi sensei has his own various views, but we've had this conversation dozens of times (laughs). Whenever I play the music for the short, he always says to me, "Free program is all you need" (laughs).

--He loves it so much (laughs).
He also said that the people around him also were telling him it was good, and that he felt like the free program came to an end sooner than expected. In that sense, he said it's okay to keep it, but... In my opinion I want to change the free... I am not sure.

--I personally want to see the new one, but I like that free program too, and I also want to see it with a high degree of perfection.
Well, many people are telling me so, but...I'm still thinking about it (laughs). The short is likely to be a new program (laughs).

-As for the free, you will have decided on it by the next interview time?
Yes (laughs).

--So I'm looking forward to it. Why do you want to change the free?
It's my problem, but the song sounds monotonous, and I have the strong image of me stroking the whole time, with one jump in the first half. And when I watch the video objectively, I get the impression that I kept stroking throughout the program. That’s probably because my skating skills were not good enough, and I guess I couldn't complete the program in that sense. Umm...how should I put it

.....If I had been able to perform it well, I might be thinking of keeping it for another season. I couldn't get a good score because I couldn't perform it well, so I'd like to be bold and switch to a new program to try my best working on something different.....

Note: At the end of the interview the PROFILE section says:
These days he often sings alone.
"Because I cannot sing in tune I used to be too embarrassed to sing, but lately I have fun singing and I don't care if I sing off pitch."

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Rainbow! So very informative!
Excerpts that especially caught my eye:
--Have you decide who to ask for choreography next season?
Both will be done by Kenji (Miyamoto). Well, I want to change both, but [Haysashi] sensei said, "No, I don't think you should change your free program." We had this back-and-forth many times (laughs).
[...]
--He loves it so much (laughs).
He also said that the people around him also were telling him it was good, and that he felt like the free program came to an end sooner than expected. In that sense, he said it's okay to keep it, but... In my opinion I want to change the free... I am not sure.

Well done, Sota, bravo! He held his ground against Hayashi, and prevailed - after just about three months in his camp! And eventhough I was not happy he was returning to an old program, I am at peace with his decision now and think it's definitely a better choice than 'Shirt'. Good move by Sota.

"Because I cannot sing in tune I used to be too embarrassed to sing, but lately I have fun singing and I don't care if I sing off pitch."

So nice to see Sota bolder, and coming out of his shell! Who doesn't try, won't improve :yes: I hope he gets the same confidence for his English.
I wonder what languages he sings in??

And aww, he's struggling to name his strengths! What does everyone think his strong points are? For me: big charisma, spins (both speed and positions - especially the donut spin), posture, easy acceleration and flow, and lightness on his feet. When he himself mentions jumps, I like his smooth flow on the landings on well-done jumps - like Ted Barton once said, he makes jumps seem so easy. And may I just add, even when he messes up his jump passes, he never looks defeated, or as peeved as many skaters who just give an annoyed jerk of their head in the direction of the audience, and spend an eternity gliding to the KnC shaking their heads and grimacing all the time. Sota never does this, though he may get brave to the point of daring.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you, rRainbow, for your translation! :thank:
Good luck to Sota, he seems quite settled and confident, and wow he's training the 4lo!
Funny that he said he wanted to improve his SS, when I always thought this was one of his strengths, along with spins! :luv17:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Many thanks to this blogger who transcribed Sota interview in Hague after Challenge Cup in 2019.
https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12602879524.html
Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kp-tk6hdej0UK9wYmDtwt3pTA8OwGasK/view?usp=sharing
Translation:

Q: You don’t come to the sea so often?
S: (while walking) Hmm, the sea. I sometimes practice at Howa and there is a port called Nagoya Port and I went there once in a while.
Q: Fishing?
S: No, I couldn't fish (laughs) I usually went there when I had some free time.
Q: You looked at the sea blankly?
S: Ah... there were times like that (laughs)
Q. Can you swim by the way?
S: I can't swim at all.
Q: But you went through rehabilitation in the swimming pool, didn't you?
S: Yes, yes, yes. Well, I walked. I did some walking in the water.
Q: It was a good competition, I must say.
S: That’s right, I was very satisfied.
Q: As to yesterday (free), what part of it were you satisfied with?
S: Above all, I was happy that I nailed a quad and a triple axel in the first half l (sound of a dog barking).
Q: You said that you wanted a bigger competition, and in that sense do you feel it’s not good enough this time?
S: Well, is that so? I guess so.
Q: For example, (GP) Finals and the World Championships?
S: Yes. I'm thinking I should aim for such stages.
Q: Did you start to see them in this competition?
S: Well, I didn't really think about that during my performance, but I thought that after skating well at each competition such things would come true. So I have to focus on each and every competition like this.
Q: In the past, you said you were back on the ice but you did not make a comeback, but what is your current phase?
S: Umm... well... Let me see. I wonder if I should say this but I think I've made a comeback. I am not sure, though. Well, I don't know because it's something that others determine. (* He stopped walking.)
Q: As I mentioned earlier, I think the gap between your old and current self is closing.
S: I think so too. So I need to grow even more (seagulls chirping) and become a good or, eh, a top skater (nodding twice).
Q: Which do you like better, who you are now and who you used to be before injury?
S: Ummm, I prefer now ... Somehow I felt real that I was getting a little stronger in this competition, so it would be meaningless if I cannot keep doing well. I realized I have made progress.
Q: Looking back now, how do you describe yourself, Sota Yamamoto, three years ago?
S: Ummm, (a dog running in the back) in a good way as well as bad way, I was very young. I still am though (laughs). I was able to focus only on myself, but umm, it’s like, umm ….. I now think about various things, such as skating for others and for my family, and these thoughts motivate me to do my best. I guess I have changed my way of thinking a little, and I have to grow even more.
Q: Many of your friends were happy for you this time. Are you happy about that?
S: Yes, I received so many messages from so many people. There were various messages such as “I will do my best too,” and they encouraged me and made me happy. I told everyone that I would work hard as well.
Q: You had a passionate fan nearby.
S: Ahaha...
Q: Was Yuhana-chan at the rink when you were injured three years ago?
S:, I’m not sure. I don't remember.
Q: You don’t remember very well?
S: That’s right. But when I was in the hospital in Nagoya where I had surgery, she was perhaps the first or second to come to see me, so I was really happy. She continued to be very caring and encouraging all the time. We belong to the same club and we have been working hard together.
S: (walking with long strides)
Q: I was actually in Hungary.
S: Hungary?
Q: At the Junior Worlds. I was sent there.
S: Ah! Yes.
Q, Then I found out you couldn't come. (S: Yes), then I was able to see Japanese Nationals two years ago (S: Yes), I could also see the Asian Open (S: Yes), and then I got to see you again this time.
S: Yes (laughs)
Q. You're finally back, (hehehe) I strongly realize that, but I don’t feel right about saying you’re back.
S: Ah, right.
Q: Suppose you want to go back to your old self, I mean, if you could go back to the day before you were injured in March 2016, would you want to go back now?
S: No! Probably I wouldn’t want to go back. Well, I went through an incredibly painful time …. but I think that was the reason why I could perform the way I did today.
Q: Absolutely. The emotions you put into your performance were there. To be honest, I'm afraid I might be rude to say this, but before that you were a bit like a jumping machine.
S: Ahahaha... You’re right.
Q: This time you skated with all your heart each time.
S: Thank you so much.
Q About that, do you feel that way yourself?
S: Yes. But at this competition I focused on jumps even more, I mean I concentrated on jumps. But, how can I put it? I had been practicing so hard that I was able to skate naturally well. Also, if I have room in my mind and skate with deep feeling, I hope I will be able to skate better!
Q: Well then, you made a detour, but (S: Yes) looks like the road you are taking is the right one, the road to the dream.
S: Yes.
Q: Lastly, you said that you wanted to skate on the bigger stage, but where is that big stage? I’m asking this, while I suspect you may not want to speak of it...
S: ahahaha... well, Beijing? That's my biggest goal, so I'll just have to do my best at each and every competition.
Q: Has it been difficult for you to talk about it till now, to say Beijing?
S: I think so, you know, umm, well, yes, that’s right. I can finally speak about it, I’m hoping I still have time …. I will do my best!

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for sharing this interview!
I hope Sota can eventually take a nice long break (without taking his skates with him, as he wished ;) ) in a warm country, and learn to swim on the seaside :biggrin:
Yuhana is such a good friend! I recall she's often posted supportive photos with Sota.
I agree with Sota, the time for speaking in hushed tones about 'return' and Beijing has passed.

surimi

Record Breaker
Yes, I've seen. Already jelly of people who will be able to watch and listen ;) Sota is known to be quiet, but Taichiro is one of his closest friends so he'll surely help him relax and be more talkative.
In Sota's outfit defence, this is an old photo from a magazine. I'm sure Sota wouldn't present himself in shorts in a teaser photo for this event :p

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The latest Quadruple Axel 2020 published on June 18, 2020 available from these sellers.
From Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product...amp=247&creative=1211&creativeASIN=463590735X
From USA: https://www.amazon.com/フィギュアスケート男子...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1592770331&sr=1-1

Translated excepts from Sota Interview

--Recently Yamaha Motor Foundation for Sports announced that you were chosen to receive their grant. It’s good news.
S: Yes. The first round was only by document submission, but the next round was an interview in January in Tokyo. I used a screen for my presentation to promote myself. I did it for the first time and that was super tough (laughs).

--Were you able to sell yourself well?
S: I had made the presentation materials and I did my best to give a talk going over these documents, but I had plenty of time left.when I finished (laughs). After that I was interviewed for about five minutes and I went home. I was happy that I was chosen after all.

--Good for you. To be specific, what kind of support do you get?
S: They will pay for the expenses for costumes, skating shoes and such. Since I don’t have any sponsors I’m very grateful to them, and I am motivated to work harder.

--It’s been nearly one month since you couldn’t practice on the rink because of the self-isolation rules. How do you train now?
S: I exercise while watching the ISU videos, work out with the federation’s trainer over Zoom, jog by myself, jump rope, practice jumps in the yard, and things like that. I can do more training than when I was practicing on the ice, and I can feel I am building my body.

--Do you have any particular part of your body which you want to strengthen, now that you have time?
S: In the past my trainer often pointed out my bulked up lower body and my narrow hip joint range of motion, so I would like to do some training and stretching to work on these issues, and also want to build my upper body to have a better proportioned body. Right after the injury I could hardly walk, so I can handle the current situation just fine.. On land I can do 100% of the exercises I want to do, and I’m looking forward to the time I can get back on ice.

--You’re not losing motivation?
S: It’s not that something happened to my body, so I keep motivated. I;ve been looking ahead all the time and I’ve been doing what I could do for the day, keeping my goal in mind.

--Because you’ve overcome serious injuries, you can cope with the current situation well?
S: For nearly one and a half years I couldn’t skate, I couldn’t move the way I wanted on land, either. During that time the only training I could do was exercises such as sit ups that wouldn’t stain my legs. The thought of not being able to practice on ice scared me all the time. Compared to that time, it’s no big deal. I can relax and unwind from time to time, so I don’t feel down.

....To be Continued

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Excerpted Sota interview translation: Part 2

--I’ve been asking all others how they spend their time during self-isolation. More people than I thought have gotten into cooking.
S: No, no, I’m not good at it at all. Rather than cooking, I simply grill or pan fry (laughs). Steak is easy. I also follow my family’s recipe, something like that. That’s all I can do.

--Yesterday was mother’s day. Did you give your mother any present?
S: I gave her my words of thanks. I’ve given her my present in the past but I cannot go out now, so I told her directly “Thank you as always.”

--She must have been very happy.
S: I’ve always been grateful to her, but it’s not easy for me to put it into words. I was grinning a lot when I said it because I felt embarrassed (laughs).

--Thank you for the nice story. Next, please tell us your thoughts about this season. How was this year for you?
S: The most memorable thing was that for the first time I got choreographed and took skating lessons overseas. I learned how to move my body from Pasquale Camerlengo-san and I learned skating skills from Yuka Sato-san after US International (September), and I learned a lot. Also, one more important thing that happened was that I took on the quad salchow. Looking back on the entire season, I was satisfied with myself in the first half, but I struggled in the free in the second half. I came up short and that’s the issue I need to work on.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you for the translation, rRainbow! :luv17:
Well done to Sota for winning the Yamaha grant, I hadn't realised he had to do a presentation.
Also, the bit he talks about saying thanks to his mum is super sweet :love: I'm sure Mama Yamamoto was very happy!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 3
--In your free at the Japanese Nationals you changed the jump layout from three quads (two 4S + one 4T) to two quads (one 4S + one 4T). Why did you do that?
S: Well, for one thing, I had never been able to jump all three quads cleanly. And for another, with two quads plus two triple axels and two second triples, I can add triple axel, triple toe loop combo, then the base value would be close to the one for three quads layout. That being the case, and also hoping for added points, I changed the layout. But I still regret that I could not pull it off at the competition.

--The year 2020 came and you were supposed to go to the Coupe du Printemps but the team withdrew from the event. If you had competed there, what would have been your layout?
S: The same layout for the Japanese National and I aimed for perfection. Having such a strategy, I planned one quad in the short, and I had practiced that layout.

--In February when I went to the rink to interview Keiji Tanaka senshu, I saw you practicing with him. How is your new practice environment?
S: I have respected Keiji-kun since before, and practicing with him all the time really motivates me, and I can feel my practice is coming along well. I get along well with Kussi (Kazuki Kushida) who is my age and junior skater Nozomu (Yoshioka), so I find my practice environment really good.

--That reminds me that Yoshioka senshu told me that he admired your skating.
S: I heard that (laughs). When we practiced together for the first time, he told me that I skated very fast. Nozomu is very friendly and we are on the same wavelength, I sometimes go to him. When it comes to skating, he is good at quad toe loop and triple axel. Kussi has the quad toe loop as well and he rotates the quad loop very well, and I get motivated to do my best.

--You used to practice with Tanaka senshu at Rinkai Sports Center which was your home rink at that time.
S: I’ve seen him since before he had gotten a bronze medal at the Junior Worlds. Back then I admired him for his good solid jumps and overall greatness.

--Looks like everything is going well under the new coach, but the other day the media reported an incident about him. Regarding that incident, can I ask you what you would like to do from now on.
S: I was shocked when I heard the news, but I really like Hayashi sensei and my feeling doesn’t change no matter what happens. I want him to be back soon, and I want him to coach me again. I want to continue fighting together, so I’m waiting for his return. For the time being, I heard that after the rink reopens Nagamitsu (Utako) sensei would come for us, so I’m not worried about coaching. Also, the assistant coach, Sayaka Yodo sensei was my senior when I was coached by Hayashi sensei, and I used to call her “Sayaka-chan.” Back then, older boys and girls on the team were very nice to me, and she was a college student at that time and played with me the most often. Since that time I hadn’t had a chance to see her again, but now that I came back, I can talk to her often and the fond memories of my childhood started to come back little by little. No matter how hard things are now, I want to work hard for her also.

...to be continued

ETA: At the beginning of Part 3 I found an error, which I corrected; "In your short" should read "In your free."

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part:

--In the past many skaters have skated to “Dark Eyes.” Who do you remember the most?
S: I draw most inspiration from Sasha Cohen’s short program. She is my favorite skater and I often watch her performances at the Turin Olympics. To pay homage to her, I asked my music cuts to be modeled after her program, and editing is taken care of. Also, (Evgeni) Plushenko’s performance is manly, powerful and gorgeous, so it’s a really good example for me. He is in fact one of my idols, and I’ve watched his performances many times.

--Who edits the music for you?
S: Yuko Hongo sensei. I like the way she puts the music cuts together and it’s easy for me to skate to the music she edited. When my home rink was Howa (Sports Land) she was a kind sensei who cared about me and was concerned about not only my skating but also my private matters. So I asked her through Nagamitsu sensei to edit the program music for me.

--How about the free?
S: Free is “Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.” This is the music I skated to when I won the Novice Japanese Nationals (2012). This time I had more time than usual to think about the music, and while I went through various music pieces, my desire to skate to this music one more time kept getting stronger. Also I wanted a magnificent music piece for the free.

-It will be very interesting to see you, a senior skater now, skate to the same music as the one you skated to in novice days.
S: The choreographer is different now and I hope to be able to express myself differently. I would like to show the audience my current “Dragon.”

--Have you asked Hongo sensei to edit the music for the free too?
S: Yes, when I asked her for her help, I asked her to do both.

--What is the new type of quad you are working on?
S: I tried the quad loop in February, but I couldn’t rotate. We came to the conclusion that the (quad) loop is not for me (laughs), so I will try the (quad) flip. I’ve done the training in which I take off a triple jump visualizing myself to launch a quad, with a little change in trajectory. I want to do that training again when the rink reopens.

--During self-isolation you spend more time at home. What do you usually do?
S: Aside from how I relax that I told you a little while ago, I do mental imagery training too. I think of the time alone as the moment to face myself. It’s important to train a lot to improve technique, but I also think that such mental imagery training will help me from now on, so I want to cherish such time.

END

surimi

Record Breaker
:thank: a lot for these illuminating interviews!
I am relieved he's given up the 4Lo. It's not meant for everyone. May his 4F work out, but if it doesn't, he's able to score high with the layout he already has, if he goes clean.

Still not a fan of the 'Eyes' idea as his on-ice persona is miles away from Cohen or Plushy, but we'll see. I wonder what he has in mind for 'Dragon'. I am glad he continues working with Yuko Hongo. His music cuts for his last junior season were especially good, I haven't found a Piano Concerto or Poeta yet with cuts I'd like better.

It's good that Sota has good friends at the rink, and an assistant coach who knows him from back then and cares for him. I have no idea what to think of Nagamitsu taking over in Hayashi's absence. I know nothing about her other than that she used to be Takahashi's coach. Keiji admires Daisuke and seems to take after him, so he'll be fine, but I hope she lets Sota be himself.

Nozomu Yoshioka... am I mistaking him for someone else or is he the boy who skated to Mozart and had it for his gala as well?
I hope the dynamics at the rink are good. It must be very hard for Keiji to suddenly have to share his coach with a direct rival. We've heard it from every training center where there were two main stars that there was some tension and doubt among the skaters, though the coaches tried their best to be fair. Sota seems to respect Keiji a lot, though they may not be on buddy terms (yet).

Regarding Sota practising jumps in the yard - I am a bit jealous of the neighbors (I assume it's a danchi yard) ^ ^ Granted, Sota jumping is a bit more stressful to watch than Sota gliding, but still, it's off-season and I miss skating. Sota's and Yuzuru's skating especially. ^ ^

KiraraChin

Medalist
Did you guys see that Sota posted an IG story yesterday? It was just a promo for his Zoom talk with Taichiro, but... Is this his first IG update after many years? :eeking:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Q&A on Quadruple Axel 2020

Q: Describe your personality
Sota: I enjoy hanging out with my friends, chatting with them, and playing video games with them, but I also love the time I spend by myself. I feel really relaxed.

Q: If you were an animal what would you be?
Sota: Cat and sometimes lion. The reason is because they are calm and collected can take quick action. Being competitive is like a lion? (laughs)

Q: What was the most nerve-racking incident in your life?
Sota: It was when I skated at the Japanese Nationals winning the Novice A category. When I stood on the spot where I start my program, my legs started shaking. My first jump was the 3Ltz but I was so nervous that I popped it. I still remember very well how nervous I was at that time.

Q: What do your costumes mean to you?
Sota: Costumes clearly express the programs. When I skate in costume I feel I can convey better what I want to express. Wearing various costumes is a perk of being a figure skater, I guess (laughs). My most favorite costume is “Piano Concerto No. 1” or “Jekyll & Hyde.”

Q: Right after you come back from overseas competition, what food do you crave the most?
Sota: Grilled fish meal set of “Suzunami” restaurant at Centrair (Chubu International Airport in Nagoya). (t/n: Currently temporarily closed due to the pandemic. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Naka_Nagoya_Aichi_Prefecture_Tokai_Chubu.html) I love it so much that I also buy the takeout fish after eating the meal. I like the way they season the fish, and I recommend black cod. They also have a chain restaurant at Nagoya station, so when I come home by Shinkansen I used to buy their fish there.