Spun out of control: The final days of John Coughlin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spun out of control: The final days of John Coughlin

andromache

Record Breaker
The article did highlight that there needs to be some protection of the accused as well; the US has largely taken an approach in media that someone accused of sexual misconduct is guilty until proven innocent and anyone can make an allegation and there's not really any type of repercussion for a false allegation. I fully support removing someone under investigation for misconduct where they don't have access to potential victims but in the era of media today something does need to be done to protect all parties involved in an allegation until facts have been established.

I cannot recall any life-ruining circumstances that have happened to famous people due to false accusations (at least recently). Most victims are treated with skepticism - if they cannot provide "proof," they are not believed, and then have their lives ruined for coming forward. False accusations are also extremely rare.

Coughlin was "protected." He was suspended, sure, which is a reasonable precaution during an ongoing investigation. But he was not thrown into jail or given any sort of punishment other than a suspension. Had the investigation concluded and found him innocent, he would have been allowed to return to work, and given how beloved he seems to be in the skating community and the supprot he has received from so many skaters and coaches, he would have been able to find work.

Finley

Record Breaker
This article is despicable.

I agree with rachno that it is one-sided. His hometown newspaper chose to write an article that did not even try to do anything other than eulogize John. They have the right to publish whatever they want but it is important to consider the source and the agenda behind the article.

As for his family, I can barely imagine their pain. It is completely unreasonable to expect them to be unbiased in this matter. Grief will absolutely break your mind in ways it's hard to understand. All we can do is have compassion for them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As for his family, I can barely imagine their pain. It is completely unreasonable to expect them to be unbiased in this matter. Grief will absolutely break your mind in ways it's hard to understand. All we can do is have compassion for them.

Exactly. Which is why whoever encouraged this needs a kick in the shins.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Note: Please refrain from bringing up other people (i.e. Nassar). They will be removed.

Exactly. Which is why whoever encouraged this needs a kick in the shins.

I just wanted to point out that this is the first information that has come out on John's behalf. He was judged "guilty" the minute the he was accused due to the word "minors" being used by the media before the investigation ever got a chance to get off the ground. John wasn't allowed to talk. He was ripped apart by the multitudes.

I don't blame the family for sharing what they know of the situation while trying to be maintain respect for the alleged victims.

Teens having sex with older teens is a far cry from a 33-year-old man preying on children. Not to mention that John was not even the coach of said teens......

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I cannot recall any life-ruining circumstances that have happened to famous people due to false accusations (at least recently). Most victims are treated with skepticism - if they cannot provide "proof," they are not believed, and then have their lives ruined for coming forward. False accusations are also extremely rare.

Coughlin was "protected." He was suspended, sure, which is a reasonable precaution during an ongoing investigation. But he was not thrown into jail or given any sort of punishment other than a suspension. Had the investigation concluded and found him innocent, he would have been allowed to return to work, and given how beloved he seems to be in the skating community and the supprot he has received from so many skaters and coaches, he would have been able to find work.

This is wrong! To say Coughlin was protected is truly obscene. He was fired from all his jobs because he was suspended by SafeSport! He lost his whole career! He could never ever get it back!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
And, which I will say until I am exhausted, nothing is served by SafeSport continuing an investigation of Coughlin. Nothing. That’s not their mandate, that’s not their purpose and it would be almost malpractice for them to continue, from my readingof their purpose.

If USFS wants to investigate to see if claims of abusive culture or lack of support for skaters is true, then USFS can do so. If the persons who believe this want to bring claims against another person, club, or entity to Safe Sport, they can do that. But this investigation is done. For good reason.

Except, perhaps, some closure for the alleged victims?

Or are they not important enough to be considered, here?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that any potential victims are unimportant. The sad truth is that SafeSport is woefully understaffed to handle the hundreds of reports they've received since 2017. I would assume they have to prioritize their limited manpower to cases where athletes, especially young ones, are currently and/or immediately at risk. The entire John Coughlin situation is tragic for all parties, but I think the best case scenario is for an independent entity (with USFS's cooperation) to investigate the situation and provide a report like the one Ropes & Gray did for USA Gymnastics.

On a separate note, I am deeply concerned about the seemingly minor identifying details about Coughlin's accusers included in this article and the fact that Golden Skate is participating in disseminating them by hosting a discussion thread about it. They may not mean much to most people, but details like those could be used to piece together identities we've already established we are not going to share or reveal here. I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for a family grieving for the loss of a loved one, but this piece was journalistically irresponsible in the first place and I don't see a benefit to anyone by promoting it here.

Finley

Record Breaker
This is wrong! To say Coughlin was protected is truly obscene. He was fired from all his jobs because he was suspended by SafeSport! He lost his whole career! He could never ever get it back!

I don't want this thread to degenerate into arguments but I have to respectfully disagree that he could never get his career back. If the investigation determined the allegations were unfounded or did not merit a continued suspension he could return to coaching just like Alex Naddour.

I'm not trying to minimize the impact of being suspended under a cloud of 'accusation', but to say he could never come back from this is not correct.

Tragically, it seems that he believed there was no way past this.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just wanted to point out that this is the first information that has come out on John's behalf. He was judged "guilty" the minute the he was accused due to the word "minors" being used by the media before the investigation ever got a chance to get off the ground. John wasn't allowed to talk. He was ripped apart by the multitudes.

Maybe so, but the grieving family is not going to be in any state to provide rational or unbiased commentary at this time. The information could have been presented factually, without sensationalising and taking advantage of grieving relatives.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Note: Please refrain from bringing up other people (i.e. Nassar). They will be removed.

I don't blame the family for sharing what they know of the situation while trying to be maintain respect for the alleged victims.

Teens having sex with older teens is a far cry from a 33-year-old man preying on children. Not to mention that John was not even the coach of said teens......

Sorry not sorry but this viewpoint is frankly disgusting and it assumes that you’re taking his family’s word as truth.

First, your point about how the investigation never got off the ground is absolutely wrong. He wasn’t randomly accused and immediately restricted. There’s a whole process of interviewing multiple people before SS does anything to verify that the complaints are somewhat true.

Second, your last point about the problem “only” being about teens having sex with teens is short sighted to put it nicely. Do you personally know that there wasn’t anything else going on when he went after other girls? Did the girls feel they needed to go along with him because boys in skating are very sought after? And don’t you think it’s a problem that needs to be addressed when not one but three women have come forward to state that he as a legal adult had relations with underage teenagers? You’re assuming his family is telling the truth. And respect for the victims? I didn’t see any of that when they said he was only accused because of some jealous rival.

I’m sorry but your viewpoint is pretty appalling especially as a moderator.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I don't expect John's family to be unbiased. No one can be objective or unbiased on this case because so little information is available and it started with "guilty until proven innocent."

To me, some people seem to want to believe he was guilty and the way SafeSport handled the case was absolutely right simply because they want to save the organization as if he is a necessary sacrifice to protect future victims.

Ziotic

Medalist

“Minor” in quotes?? Please it’s not subjective. A minor is a minor for a reason. And this article even confirms that one of the victims was a minor. Age of consent doesn’t matter if the issue is abuse; coaching, romantic, or otherwise.

And I would disagree about being judged guilty. Look at all the support he received and how vindictive his support group was to media outlets reporting the FACTS.

And abuse isn’t just sex/rape. It’s physical and emotional.

I’m sorry to say, but this comment shows your lack of understanding about the different ways people can be abused and victimized.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea

Comments like these are why CSA Survivors are reluctant to tell their stories, even as adults.

I do not blame the family for their grief, however I do blame this paper for publishing this story, which can cause direct harm to the alleged victims.

And I completely disagree that this version of the story ever tried to maintain respect towards the alleged victims.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

You never heard of 'statutory rape'??? As long as below the age of consent, even if consensual, sex with minors is statutory rape.
In my country the age of consent is 16. If an 18 yr old guy has sex with his 15 yr old gf, the girl's parents can report the guy for statutory rape. Its a jailable offense. Even if the girl says the guy is the love of her life and its consensual. He's the adult, she's below age of consent. He supposed to know better, that's how the law views it.

In certain other countries, its even more strict. An adult engaging in sex with underaged prostitute(below 15 or 16) can be jailed and caned. That's why they ask whether the prostitute is 18 before proceeding.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
You never heard of 'statutory rape'??? As long as below the age of consent, even if consensual, sex with minors is statutory rape.
In my country the age of consent is 16. If an 18 yr old guy has sex with his 15 yr old gf, the girl's parents can report the guy for statutory rape. Its a jailable offense. Even if the girl says the guy is the love of her life and its consensual. He's the adult, she's below age of consent. He supposed to know better, that's how the law views it.

In certain other countries, its even more strict. An adult engaging in sex with underaged prostitute(below 15 or 16) can be jailed and caned. That's why they ask whether the prostitute is 18 before proceeding.

Haven´t you heard of the Romeo And Juliet Law?
We don´t know the age of the "alleged victims" at the time of the event. The age of John at the time of the event.Where the alleged victims entering the relationship/act consensually or where they coerced? In what state where the "alleged crime" comited (after all age of consent and other laws are differente in USA state to state).

At this point, the information giving is still too little to judge on John´s culpability, as much as some people already believe him guilty.

And before go accusing me of no caring about the "alleged victims", IF the reports were made by a third party, it could mean that really "the alleged victims" are also unwilling participants in this case and also their lives have probably been disrupted against their will.

katymay

Medalist
The article did highlight that there needs to be some protection of the accused as well; the US has largely taken an approach in media that someone accused of sexual misconduct is guilty until proven innocent and anyone can make an allegation and there's not really any type of repercussion for a false allegation. I fully support removing someone under investigation for misconduct where they don't have access to potential victims but in the era of media today something does need to be done to protect all parties involved in an allegation until facts have been established.

Thank you. When I was skating I had a creepy coach (now deceased)who did everything he could to get me alone in motel rooms (at competitions) and attempt molestation on a daily basis. Often I would travel to competitions with only him-and it was a torment I've never forgotten. He actually attempted to sexually attack MY MOTHER at a competition. So I am sympathetic to victims. But the lynch mob mentality does more harm than good, and too many lives are destroyed based on spurious accusations. Safe Sort is a gross over correction and it needs to be fixed.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But the lynch mob mentality does more harm than good, and too many lives are destroyed based on spurious accusations. Safe Sort is a gross over correction and it needs to be fixed.

What I've gathered from everything I've read is that these relationships were mostly problematic from a "grooming" perspective, and not necessarily illegal. If this is alleged, the coach has a duty to defend himself because it really is important for parents to feel comfortable leaving their children with someone who isn't taking advantage of the coach-student power dynamic.

I wouldn't assume that the reason he committed suicide was because he was guilty of anything; people have a lot of sources of stress in their life (financial, personal relationships, health, etc.) and perhaps this was the straw the broke the camel's back along with many other worries for John.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
We don´t know the age of the "alleged victims" at the time of the event. The age of John at the time of the event.Where the alleged victims entering the relationship/act consensually or where they coerced? In what state where the "alleged crime" comited (after all age of consent and other laws are differente in USA state to state).

At this point, the information giving is still too little to judge on John´s culpability, as much as some people already believe him guilty.

And before go accusing me of no caring about the "alleged victims", IF the reports were made by a third party, it could mean that really "the alleged victims" are also unwilling participants in this case and also their lives have probably been disrupted against their will.

Most people will have not heard of the R&J law I think it’s only a thing in a very very few number of countries. I personally only know about it because of the Transformers films, which is depressing.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Yes, I know abt the Romeo & Juliet law in US. There's no such law in my country, hence why we are doubly appalled by the 'protectionism' showed towards Coughlin. All of which does not augur well for the image of the sport globally.
If any athlete(athlete, not coach) from my country is found out doing that, straight kick out national team.

The response of friends, fellow coaches, supporters of Coughlin thus far gives the perception(contrary to what the GS mod posted) that those in power will band together to protect the accused, the heck with the alleged victims, they should shut up and not make the sport look bad.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The response of friends, fellow coaches, supporters of Coughlin thus far gives the perception(contrary to what the GS mod posted) that those in power will band together to protect the accused, the heck with the alleged victims, they should shut up and not make the sport look bad.

And only because he was a known and loved member of that community. Were it somebody else with a not entirely spot-free blazon, he would have been offered no protection but all would have pointed out, jumped on and torn that person to pieces together.
We maintain double standards of morality.
For closure's sake to all involved and for the truth to be found and for lessons to be learned, I would like to have seen that investigation continued and concluded. But Safe Sport has no mandate, and when no criminal accusations will come forward, nobody of official legal capacity and power will continue the investigation.
A person has taken his own life, and we will never know why.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely disagree that Coughlin was protected or shielded in any way. Does anyone have*facts*: not surmise based on other experiences in other sports, on one’s own experience, or on studies that are misquoted (in my view) on false accusations, ETA: [and by misquoted, I mean not posters, but that the organization sponsoring the studies appear to have misapplied the data] to show that Coughlin was “shielded”?

Also facts that are not someone’s opinion of Delilah’s IG posts, not someone’s surmise on how persons expressing grief “must” make survivors feel?

Opinions are opinions and we are all entitled to them. But they are not facts:confused:

Last edited: