Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US

shirleyc89

Rinkside
from checking it doesn't look like it. You may have to DVR it when it's on NBCSN Saturday.

Aw man I don't have the ability to DVR stuff. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly though! :)

Side note, if anyone does happen to record and upload it, I will love you forever LOL :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh my god, I can't believe the people who are dissing SOI for being a show. It's not "either or". When you go to a comp, you're getting a comp. That's great, and I loved the summer comp I went to last year. And it was free, although I would have paid;)

But if the only "live skating" that comes within driving distance is a show, then you go to a show. And you take it for what it is, and you enjoy actually seeing skaters in person.:cool:

And if the only opportunity I ever had to see skating in person was a show, or to see my favorite skater was a show, I would grab it with both hands (and have), rather than sit home and watch a comp on TV.:biggrin:

YMMV.

I don't get the diss and complain either...Right now, if some US/Can/Japanese skaters would do a show tour in Europe, I'd borrow money to see retiring/retired skaters like Tessa/Scott, Meryl/Charlie, Nobunari, Daisuke, Shizuka...After being live in Milan, comp or no comp, the feel of witnessing skating/performing live is incomparable for me

sheetz

Record Breaker
Ticket sales are up this year
http://www.venuesnow.com/news/detail/stars-on-ice-ticket-sales-increase
With a notable lineup of medalists and skating personalities following the 2018 Winter Olympics as well as a preview of the show scheduled for broadcast Saturday on NBC Sports Network, the 2018 Stars on Ice tour is off to a stronger start than the last comparable tour.

“We spent a lot more time and effort advertising digitally, and that has paid off,” said Byron Allen, producer with New York City-based IMG, who produces the event. “We’re running about 20 percent ahead in ticket sales compared to the last post-Olympics Stars on Ice tour.”

noskates

Record Breaker
There are many, many people who don't follow figure skating competitions, don't know who has medalled or not medalled, don't know when or where competitions are but like to go to SOI and other shows (when they were still around) because they enjoy watching skating live. There are always 5 other people in my car on the way to SOI that fit the above description. They love the show pieces, they love the excitement and the music and the costumes (whether they were last year's or not - who remembers) And a couple of them along the way got really interested and became year 'round fans. There's something to be said about that! Right now in the US, SOI is the best advertisement for figure skating there is!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think most of the general population would actually prefer to watch a figure skating show vs. a competition. Most would not have the patience to sit through an entire long FS competition such as at worlds!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
There are many, many people who don't follow figure skating competitions, don't know who has medalled or not medalled, don't know when or where competitions are but like to go to SOI and other shows (when they were still around) because they enjoy watching skating live. There are always 5 other people in my car on the way to SOI that fit the above description. They love the show pieces, they love the excitement and the music and the costumes (whether they were last year's or not - who remembers) And a couple of them along the way got really interested and became year 'round fans. There's something to be said about that! Right now in the US, SOI is the best advertisement for figure skating there is!

I agree - ice skating shows seems just to have a different appeal for masses, but no less attractive than competition. For me, while competition is about admiring skills, focus, this readiness, composition of programs versus technical side, skater's interpretation skills, about this thrill of having winners, shows' thrill is about enjoyment of seeing all those skaters in something more 'relaxed', appreciate those costumes, more character/personality showing, going a bit memory lane with elements from their past programs (dancers' lifts/transitions, pieces of choreos from competitions etc.). It's just like bring the enjoyment of skating in general to broader audience who may not follow the discipline on a daily basis.

Gusmom

Rinkside
I got invited to skate in the show! How's the Providence arena and the areas around it?
I just saw this. Are you skating in Providence?
I’ll be there & have lived there. Go there often. One of my favorite cities. Great small city with a lot of activity downtown & around the colleges.
Finding a hotel room downtown was tricky this time - apparently there is a huge regional volleyball tournament at the convention center taking over hotels downtown (they require teams to stay in certain hotels).

Gusmom

Rinkside
Has anyone been to Meet & Greet this year? Or recent years in Providence? Curious how it works with SOI (yes I have tickets) especially since I’m going do and hope I can still get pics. Lots of selfies perhaps? Lol

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just saw this. Are you skating in Providence?
I’ll be there & have lived there. Go there often. One of my favorite cities. Great small city with a lot of activity downtown & around the colleges.
Finding a hotel room downtown was tricky this time - apparently there is a huge regional volleyball tournament at the convention center taking over hotels downtown (they require teams to stay in certain hotels).

Yes I am. I'm driving back the same night so I don't have to deal with finding a hotel.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To anyone attending this weekend, please let me know the running time for the show.

Trying to coordinate train times back to the city for the Long Island show.

Thanks

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The show is about two hours, including an intermission. Don't be surprised if showtime is a few minutes later than indicated on the ticket (10-15 minutes sometimes). Therefore, allow for about 2 & 1/2 hours in the arena. A 7:30 PM show, when all is said & done, would be over by 10 PM. Hope that helps for your scheduling.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think most of the general population would actually prefer to watch a figure skating show vs. a competition. Most would not have the patience to sit through an entire long FS competition such as at worlds!

A lot of people tend to appear at the last two or very last group in competition as well. Whereas, I really get bored with shows or gala which is odd for myself because I enjoy all sort of performing arts, but not ice skating shows. I expect more athletic aspects from figure skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The show is about two hours, including an intermission. Don't be surprised if showtime is a few minutes later than indicated on the ticket (10-15 minutes sometimes). Therefore, allow for about 2 & 1/2 hours in the arena. A 7:30 PM show, when all is said & done, would be over by 10 PM. Hope that helps for your scheduling.

Add another 45-60 min if you attend the Meet & Greet

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
@alyssamarie Good luck with the show tonight! I hope you have a great time. :)
thanks so much!! hopefully i'll remember the routine. Maybe after I can find a way to post the video online? If not i'll definitely try to get pics with the stars

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Add another 45-60 min if you attend the Meet & Greet

The tickets for the M&G was sold out when I got my ticket. My friend that I'm traveling with is going to the M&G but I think I'll have to get back after the show since I have to get up early Sunday.

Thanks for the info to you and iluvtodd!