Stars on Ice USA 2023 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice USA 2023

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skating in the first half was pretty, but 'skating light' -- very few jumps in general from everyone, no great footwork, even from the dancers. The second half was better & more robust. Kind of like they used the first half for the warmup.
That's funny about the "skating light". I was thinking the same thing. At a certain point, I wanted to say, ok no more layback Ina Bauers, spread eagles, or knee slides! :biggrin: I was glad they stepped up the technical content a little in the second half!

Debdelilah1

Spectator
Wow, I think it’s been 14 or 15 years since the show last came to this area. Crazy to think about. I likely will pass on it at this point, but hope everyone going has a good time!
If you change your mind, I still have a ticket to give away and I definitely can’t make it…

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, so intermission time. I showed my friends the program. They were surprised that Kurt was skating cause he was older. They asked if he was competing. I was like no lol. Then the first group came on and when Kurt came one, one of my friends was like “Oh, it’s the old guy.”

Jason….Omg I was smiling so big that my cheeks literally hurted. I’m glad Loena was in between Jason and Ilia so my cheeks would recover. Ilia was fantastic. Seeing Piper and Paul do their Evita program was amazing.

And the pandering part is happening now….

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, so intermission time. I showed my friends the program. They were surprised that Kurt was skating cause he was older. They asked if he was competing. I was like no lol. Then the first group came on and when Kurt came one, one of my friends was like “Oh, it’s the old guy.”

Jason….Omg I was smiling so big that my cheeks literally hurted. I’m glad Loena was in between Jason and Ilia so my cheeks would recover. Ilia was fantastic. Seeing Piper and Paul do their Evita program was amazing.

And the pandering part is happening now….

So glad you are having a good time, and putting the beg-a-thon portion to good use. :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back. And the show was WONDERFUL. The M&G was great too! I went a little fast cause I was towards the front of the line and didn't want to hold it up. And I didn't want to get home so late. But I did talk to everyone. Got some autographs. Got some selfies. Made a friend while waiting....I wish I got her number because she was so pleasant.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back. And the show was WONDERFUL. The M&G was great too! I went a little fast cause I was towards the front of the line and didn't want to hold it up. And I didn't want to get home so late. But I did talk to everyone. Got some autographs. Got some selfies. Made a friend while waiting....I wish I got her number because she was so pleasant.
Did you gift Ilia with hat you made? Did he like it?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you gift Ilia with hat you made? Did he like it?
I did give it to him. I can't remember what he said about it, but he was showing it to Isabeau, who was sitting next to him. And she was impressed as well. I then told him that he can't put the hat in the washing machine or dryer because it'll shrink permanently. And I brought with me an example of a hat I had made with that same brand/type of yarn that had been machine washed and shrunk so I could hone in the point to not machine wash it. I showed the shrunken hat and he laughed.

I also said I was from the same county as him and that I created the fan fest. Though I should have maybe worded the latter one a bit better. Kinda still kicking myself about it. And I forgot to ask him why the heck he likes physics so much (In a local article about Ilia). But I'm happy I got to see him skate and gave him the hat. He's probably not going to have a need to wear it for a bit since it's almost summer.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did give it to him. I can't remember what he said about it, but he was showing it to Isabeau, who was sitting next to him. And she was impressed as well. I then told him that he can't put the hat in the washing machine or dryer because it'll shrink permanently. And I brought with me an example of a hat I had made with that same brand/type of yarn that had been machine washed and shrunk so I could hone in the point to not machine wash it. I showed the shrunken hat and he laughed.

I also said I was from the same county as him and that I created the fan fest. Though I should have maybe worded the latter one a bit better. Kinda still kicking myself about it. And I forgot to ask him why the heck he likes physics so much (In a local article about Ilia). But I'm happy I got to see him skate and gave him the hat. He's probably not going to have a need to wear it for a bit since it's almost summer.

Thanks for the report; how exciting that you were able to give your hat to Ilia. I'm sure he appreciates your handiwork.

Do you have any other general impressions of the show? What skaters surprised you (if any)? What programs made you happy? What programs made you sad? Which group number did you like the best?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the report; how exciting that you were able to give your hat to Ilia. I'm sure he appreciates your handiwork.

Do you have any other general impressions of the show? What skaters surprised you (if any)? What programs made you happy? What programs made you sad? Which group number did you like the best?
I would say my favorite group performance of the night was the last one of the 2nd act. Fun and tons of bright colors. The first group number, which was the first performance of the night made me tear up because it was the first time I saw skating in person since Skate America 2017. And that time meant so much to me. Anywho, I think Loena's performances surprised me the most because I didn't expect the sass. One of my friends loved Alexa and Brandon's performances. Both of my friends were saying it's amazing how everyone does their skills because it's so difficult. Jason's BSB program made me smile so much that my cheeks literally hurt. And I was glad Loena was right after him so my muscles could recover. I think another surprise was Ilia's Euphoria FP. Because when he originally did it at the US Classic, I wasn't the biggest fan of it. Then when he performed it at SOI, I was enjoying it. It was an honor to see Piper and Paul's Evita FD. It's my 2nd favorite FD of theirs (First being their Joni Mitchell one. I still wish I could have seen that one in person). Nathan Chen doing a backflip on the ice was a surprise for me. I didn't know he could do it. I was wowed by it of course. I don't think any programs made me sad.

The pandering part after the first act though was...too much. Could we just have done the zamboni during it like someone earlier mentioned?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since I talked about when I gave Ilia the hat, I'll talk about some of what I talked to other skaters at the M&G:

Jason: He was sweet as he always is. I told him how I was happy seeing skate for the 4th time and meeting him for the 2nd time and he signed right below his signature for when I saw him at SOI 2014. And I showed him a picture of my graduation cap from college which included his name, Kevin Reynolds, Yuzuru Hanyu, and a YouTuber I don't really watch anymore on people that helped me in a way get through college. He was so touched by it.

Piper and Paul: I had met them at Skate America 2017 and I have talked to Piper online in the past. And Piper did remember me from there. And I told them I had a pen full of ink because last time when I got their signatures, my pen ran out, so Paul's signature was incomplete. But not this time. I also told Piper my dad mentioned her somewhat in his father of the bride speech when talking about adventures he and I have done. And that my dad said the wrong name of the event/wrong type of event lol. What I didn't mention is that it was 8 minutes into his 15-minute speech...

Kurt Browning: I told him that it was an honor seeing him, the guy who landed the first quad jump skate in person. And then Kurt said "And the last" pointing to Ilia meaning the last one to land a new quad jump. And I was like "Very true!" Or something along the line.

Madison Chock and Evan Bates: I told them that this was my 3rd time seeing them skate in person. The other 2 being Skate America 2014 and 2015. And Evan said something like that's a while ago. And I said it was my first skating event I've been to since Skate America 2017. And he asked why the hiatus and if the pandemic had something to do with it. I said that plus finishing grad school, proximity of events, and work. And they were like, "Adult things, I get it." Or something like that.

I said something to each of them, but these are the other highlights I wanted to say.

triscuit413

Spectator
Hello this is for anyone that was at the Boston show Sat night. I noticed an older lady that sat on the front row. She was wearing an orange dress and had a flower in her hair. I wasn't close enough to tell who she was but several people were asking for pictures and the skaters went over to hug her. Does anyone know who she was?