Stars on Ice USA 2023 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice USA 2023

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe about two and a half hours with intermission. They do another plea for the Holt organization after the end of the first act and before the zamboni comes out - I thought they could have done it while the zamboni was already going because the guy talked a LONG time and then after he finished talking they announce a twenty minute intermission.
Just trying to work out my timing for my show on June 2.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe about two and a half hours with intermission. They do another plea for the Holt organization after the end of the first act and before the zamboni comes out - I thought they could have done it while the zamboni was already going because the guy talked a LONG time and then after he finished talking they announce a twenty minute intermission.
Also what is the Holt Organization?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for the detailed review @purplecat:pray:

I may be one of the few folks who is happy they kept the Kurt tribute in the US show, he is such an iconic figure in the sport no matter your country. But I admit that it is odd that they could not have come up with a different photo for the screen. And frankly, I didn't expect any of the "newer" cast members to do the group numbers, so kudos to Nathan for stepping (skating? ;) ) in.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best advice I got last year: leave the minute the first act stops. The lights will stay down and they will start playing something on the screens, but it is not the show, leave. It is a beg-a thon for the international adoption agency. I presume they are doing it the same way this year?

My aisle seat sure came in handy. Out to the concourse I went :)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
The best advice I got last year: leave the minute the first act stops. The lights will stay down and they will start playing something on the screens, but it is not the show, leave. It is a beg-a thon for the international adoption agency. I presume they are doing it the same way this year?

My aisle seat sure came in handy. Out to the concourse I went :)
Mr. Rant and I had on-ice seats for the beg-a-thon so we would have been really obvious leaving in the middle of it. I checked "on-ice seats at a skating event" off of my bucket list, so it balances out. But wowsers, that guy was cringey! As someone who has raised funds for several non-profits in the past, the presentation made me really want to see their financials.
The show, however, was great! I love the "On Ice Perspectives" channel on YouTube, so having the show happen right in front of me was the best birthday present ever. I touched the ice twice on my way out, just because I could.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Envious of those attending in person this year, especially with the international cast. From the videos I saw online, Isabeau is definitely growing up and her Material Girl program was very cute and flirty. I'm still happy I got to see Jason skate two weeks ago at ITNY, so that softened the blow.

Yeah, I'm still bitter that there is no NYC tri state area show when there were 2 last year (although I'm glad to miss the Holt International pitch again - it was so cringey last year). The closest show, travel wise by train to Baltimore is still over 2 hours away on the Acela next Friday. I'm going to a concert that night in Brooklyn instead.

For everyone going to the last few shows across the US - enjoy!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Envious of those attending in person this year, especially with the international cast. From the videos I saw online, Isabeau is definitely growing up and her Material Girl program was very cute and flirty. I'm still happy I got to see Jason skate two weeks ago at ITNY, so that softened the blow.

Yeah, I'm still bitter that there is no NYC tri state area show when there were 2 last year (although I'm glad to miss the Holt International pitch again - it was so cringey last year). The closest show, travel wise by train to Baltimore is still over 2 hours away on the Acela next Friday. I'm going to a concert that night in Brooklyn instead.

For everyone going to the last few shows across the US - enjoy!
I'll enjoy my show in Baltimore!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget to give us a write-up. :)
Tbh Idk if I'll be able to give a write up of everything. Because there will probably be too many performances and if I write that amount, I'm probably going to miss the show itself. I'll say how much I enjoyed it or not. Also I remember trying to write reviews in the dark when I was in college when I had to go see dance performances as a requirement for the three different dance classes I took throughout undergrad...yeah it looked like an absolute mess in my notebook. I remember trying to write up as much as I could remember. I still ended up with an A...but yeah.

I'll definitely give my overall opinion. But I'm probably not going to remember every performance.

I am terrible at writing reviews and impressions. Every time a skater does a duouble jump, I think is a triple. One time I went to a charity skating show where the performers were mostly children from local clubs. I wrote that every skater did a double Axel. Turned out that there was only one double Axel in the whole show (by special guest star world champion Yuka Sato), and all the rest were mostly single toe-loops.

Now I just content myself with saying, "Oh, wasn't that pretty!"

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found some videos of the SOI US tour, which were fun to watch so I don't feel like I'm missing out as much. I really liked the James Bond number complete with the cast miming to famous dialogue from the films on video.

https://www.youtube.com/@methlalpallewatta9947 - has many performances from the San Jose show. Decent video quality even though the videos were taken far from the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/@ReenieOnIce - seated on the Ice - really close up videos of Jason, Satoko, Loena and Nathan in Seattle along with some group numbers. The one of Satoko skating to Game of Thrones and Florence+ the Machine is particularly stunning.

I'm kind of surprised Ilia decided to do a show version of his FS from last year to Euphoria. Without the quad axel and the other quads, the program is not really compelling until the step sequence. IMO, he should have done his SP instead.

Re: writing recaps. I personally loved writing the recap of last year's show. I just shared my experience and impressions of the skaters - no need to give details on every single program, which jump was done, how long a spiral was held, etc.

I'm hoping to see more videos pop up on Youtube for the final few dates of the tour.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene Ward said it best when talking to his skaters: Make the audience feel something. They may not remember what you did, but they always remember how you made them feel.

I would never write reviews during the performances (or during a comp), and my memory of the specifics (like counting rotations) is pretty bad.

But I will always remember how a skater made me feel. And I like hearing about that as well. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've been going to SOI almost since its inception and I cannot imagine the show without Kurt. There have always been Canadian skaters in this show and for all Kurt has contributed, I'm glad they gave him a farewell spot.
Is Kurt retiring? He is a HUGE Star in those shows. Just like Scott Hamilton was.