Evgenii Ustenko 186cm
Andrei Bagin 185cm
Devid Naryzhnyy 185cm
Egor Bazin 184cm
Maxim Nekrasov 182cm
added

Country
Norway
Well how could we have missed this... I was randomly reading a bit about Sonja Henie and I just realized she was actually 165 cm tall (Wikipedia). A bit surprised she was that tall considering she was born in 1912. Even though she was born 100 years ago she even makes the list above average for women :biggrin:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Well how could we have missed this... I was randomly reading a bit about Sonja Henie and I just realized she was actually 165 cm tall (Wikipedia). A bit surprised she was that tall considering she was born in 1912. Even though she was born 100 years ago she even makes the list above average for women :biggrin:
Off topic as far as figure skating goes, but my mother's father was one of ten very tall children. He and his six brothers were all over 6', up to 6'7", and his three sisters all born in the 1890s were all around 6'. Two of them played on a Canadian women's hockey team c1920 where they took advantage of their long reach and stride. You have to go back several centuries before you find virtually everyone was shorter than today's average, and even then you find exceptions -- I just double-checked in Wikipedia and Mary Queen of Scots, for example, was close to 180 cm tall.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have collected height data for skaters who have attempted quads. I have used sources such as the ISU bios and Wikipedia, because otherwise it is difficult to know. The ISU bios are according to what the skaters say, so a few cm here or there ;) The Wikipedia entries are probably most often based on the ISU bios. There are also different bits of information floeating around, say Christopher Bowman for whom I have found height at 178 and you have him at 186? Nic Nadeau is 183 in his ISU bio and 186 in Wikipedia. No data set on height is going to be absolutely correct ever...

Just from going what I have been able to find then. My list of quadsters, men and women single skaters, includes 414 names with heights and 220 without. The latter mostly Russian novice and junior skaters who have never been to an international comp plus. There are surely some not updated heights, but if they have not been active in the international comps then there is relatively little you can do.

The avergare height for the 351 men is 173,4 cm which is a little bit less than for the average from the Reddit thread - though it looks like that average includes also ice dancers? Which I suspect probaly makes the avergare taller than if you just count single skaters.

The list of quad attempting women is somewhat shorter than men at 136 names and it includes quite a few very young Russian skaters without any height data - only 64 heights for women and their average is 157,5 cm.

For men single skaters, I would suggest a cutoff point somewhere beyond 175 cm at least?

Some additions to the 180 cm ones and beyond:

Vrdoljak, Nicholas 195
Kovalev, Artem 185 (could be taller?)
Lee, Si-hyeong 185
Paniot, Yaroslav 185
Streubel, Franz 185
Toth, Zoltan 185
Anisimov, Andrei 184 (could be taller?)
Malikov, Evgeni 184 – started in singles, in pairs
Tarasenko, Vladislav 184
Circelli, Corey 183
Gumennik, Petr 183 (could be taller?)
Ignatov, Makar 183
Maierhofer, Luc 183 – in pairs these days?
Sezganov, Vladislav 183
Vlascenko, Andrejs 183
Appleby, Edward 182
Pfeifer, Viktor 182
Ponsart, Romain 182
Preaubert, Alban 182
Yang, Zhixue 182
Contesti, Samuel 181
Restencourt, Vincent 181
Shubin, Alexander 181
Belmontes, Chase 180
Dalla Torre, Mattia 180 – later ice dancer
Deslot, Yoann 180
Dobrin, Sergei 180
Efimchuk, Igor 180
Jahnke, Ryan 180
Kockers, Daniels 180
Nguyen, Nam 180 (his latest ISU bio has him at 180)
Oktar, Basar 180
Pavlov, Ivan 180
Phan, Joseph 180
Rauchbauer, Christian 180
Reshtenko, Georgii 180
Vidrai, Szabolcs 180
Wu, Jialiang 180
Zharkov, Maxim 180

And Nicholaj Memola is now the tallest man to have managed to jump a good quad (fully rotated and with GOE 0,00 or above). Vrdoljak did 7 attempts around 2016-7 but never managed a fully rotated one. Noah Bodenstein is maybe on his way with his 4S. Before these, the tallest guy with quads was Evan Lysacek at 188 cm.
Roman Sadovsky from Canada is or looks tall. I think he is 184cm is what I read.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Canadian boys seem to be tall. besides Nam there is Gogo (Stephen Gogolev) at 185cm and growing. Then there is Roman Sadovsky at 184 cm.

Thanks for all you suggestions, now lets think about pairs & dance and the cutoff...
Before you stop singles men, consider the skaters Laurent Tobel from France, a skater with entertaining humor! He was quite tall 6'2".
Also tall was Josef Sabovcik, but wiki has his height listed as 5'9"... I'm sure he is taller than that as I met him long ago.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
On the Bavarian Open entry list
LAPIERRE
Catherine-Charlotte
POL

I looked at the ISU bio because the name is very québécois...

and found out that she is 173cms.. she is probably done growing... (born in 2005) but yeah... very tall junior

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
ISU BIOS does not say how tall Arttu Juusola, men, FIN, is, but when he stands beside 175 cm tall other guys, he is visible taller. I would guess about 180-182 cm. There is a photo from Volvo open cup on his ig where he stays next to Arlet Levandi, who is standing on his toes and he is 175 according to ISU profile, but Arttu head is still couple of cm's higher.

Marirue

On the Ice
I've checked at the ISU bio that there are tall male skaters from small feds such as Michael Christian Martinez and Edrian Paul Celestino from PH are at 175cm while Rakhat Bralin, Dias Jirenbayev and Mikhail Shaidorov from Kazakhstan are at 178 cm, 180 cm and 174 cm respectively.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
In the NHK documentary they said Valieva grew 9cm. She listed as 160cm by the ISU. That could be at the start of the 2021/22 season too. At a minimum she is 169cm probably low 170's.

Probably needs to be updated to 169cm.

It's incredible that she still jumped a quad in training at in the warm up of the Moscow GP this season (with a 2A on the end) at a minimum of Carolina Kostner's height and with a more muscular build. Amber Glenn is quite tall and her 3A very impressive, but slightly shorter at 167cm (I don't think it makes much difference but is very difficult to jump ultra-c whether 167cm or 169cm). The other woman with a quad is Rion but she is 156cm and light build. It puts into perspective the accomplishment of still having a quad at 169cm (and a 3A at 167cm).

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Two more Canadian men, heights from their ISU bios:

Aleksa Rakic 180 cm
Matthew Newnham 178 cm

I wondered after the Skate Canada Challenge medal ceremony (they didn't look much shorter than Conrad), finally got around to looking up their heights now.