Small and Mighty Club | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Small and Mighty Club

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
From @GoneWithTheWind
I love that clip from the GPF in 2018 where Marco and Jean Luc hop up on the chairs for a moment before the photos at the press conference so they can be taller than the other guys for once :laugh:
I'll see if I can track it down...

ETA: found it: https://youtu.be/OT33CB4pB6A?t=62
Can't remember which competition it was years ago when Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini were the commentators along with a CBC sports announcer. I just remember (having taped it and rewatched a lot) one conversation with the top half of the three commentators
shown in a row with the ice behind them, and she, in the middle, says, "I'm Barb Underhill and yes, I am standing on a box." And Paul laughs and says, "We don't say the word 'Smurf' when Barb is within hearing distance." (1.52m)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh no! I'm not sure :laugh:

I guess if a skater looks noticibly tiny amongst their peers they're allowed in :)
Only time I've ever felt tall at 1.62 was in practice or warm-up sessions with other pairs. I was always the tallest girl on the ice. My partner and I were the same heights as Brooke and Ben.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Looking back quickly over this thread, which I somehow missed at the beginning, are we not including pairs girls due to the fact that virtually all of them would be included? I'd cast a vote for Meagan Duhamel at 1.48m (according to Wikipedia).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not! Good find!

I have to give the devil his due, I learned this from the TSL interview with Paul. The interviews really are good (in contrast to....). In fact, Dave even asked, what were they thinking putting you in pairs as well as singles, were your parents tall, and Paul said no, my mom was 5'2" and my dad was 5'4", they just wanted me to learn pairs with Mr. Nicks.

Of course, *everyone* should learn pairs with Mr. Nicks. (y)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
One note on Paul Wylie, at 5'4" just coming in as small but mighty for singles.

But did you know he skated pairs? And won US junior Nats as a pair skater? I didn't:eek2:

Emeritus twice. :)

Yes, Paul was a Pairs skater when he was much younger LOL and before he just said heck with it and went to singles (and thank gosh he did). ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Women's should be below 5'2" most ladies skaters are between 5'3-5'7 and the higher end of that is rare.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would say 4" below average height, so 5' 5" for men, 5" 0" for women.

A Tall and Mighty list would be fun, too: 4" above average height, or 6' 1" for men, and 5' 8" for women.

Once upon a time, I did a search on the ISU Results site for all skaters over a certain height. Somebody had commented that the skater we were watching must be the tallest skater competing, and I was trying to dis-prove it. And I found more skaters that fitted the bill than I was expecting. But, I can't remember now who the original skater was, or what height they were!

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

A Tall and Mighty list would be fun, too: 4" above average height, or 6' 1" for men, and 5' 8" for women.
I'm sorry, I know what an inch is approximately, but in meter or centimeters?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry, I know what an inch is approximately, but in meter or centimeters?

I have the opposite issue: I have no idea what the heights are in centimeters or meters or whatever.

But I know how tall Shoma and Kévin are, so I just kind of wing it from there ;)

And I can't help you because I have no idea what that is in centimeters, but I do know what four inches is. The difference between Kévin (5'2") and Nathan Chen (5'6") :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This sounds fun! Although there's so many tall lads these days, I remember watching Vancouver and the commentors being "Evan Lysachek is a giant, a giant I tell you!"

He is tall, but he wouldn't be so out of place now 😁

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Once upon a time, I did a search on the ISU Results site for all skaters over a certain height. Somebody had commented that the skater we were watching must be the tallest skater competing, and I was trying to dis-prove it. And I found more skaters that fitted the bill than I was expecting. But, I can't remember now who the original skater was, or what height they were!

CaroLiza_fan

Found it!

Here is the question that prompted my digging:

Has there ever been taller skater than Nikolaj Memola?

And here's my reply:

You got me curious, so I did a search of heights greater than 195cm (Nikolaj).

Daniel BRYKALOV is 197cm.

That was the only result that came up that was taller than Nikolaj. I went up to 205cm.

Marco ZANDRON and Daniil PARKMAN are both 194cm, while J.T. MICHEL and Benjamin MIMAR are both 193cm.

CaroLiza_fan

Source: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/3004895

Of course, that was posted a year and four days ago, so there may be other skaters that are now taller than these six skaters (193cm is 6ft 4in).

So, there's a starting point if anybody wants to make a thread.

CaroLiza_fan

NaVi

Medalist
Petrosian is 4'7 (1.4m), I think she is clear for the women's list:

Valieva is only about 5'2 and looks like Shaq next to her.
Valieva is currently 5'5 at a minimum and looked around the same height as Sinitsina who is 5'6.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Valieva is currently 5'5 at a minimum and looked around the same height as Sinitsina who is 5'6.
I checked and google says 5'4, guess she grew from 5'2. Meaning Tuktamysheva is also not that short, considering Valieva has about an inch on her. Also, seems Muravieva is almost the exact same height as Valieva from recent pictures.

Anyways, the effect is the same. I don't think Tuktamysheva qualifies as tiny by women's standards just based off her comparison with others, regardless of what the actual heights are. And Petrosian definitely does qualify.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
@NanaPat reminded me of William St-Louis. He did pairs and singles for a while... Retired now I guess

Take your tape and tell me how tall... height not listed after a quick search

Not being able to get out on the ice with the kid (but oh, how I'd love to!) I tend to use as a rough guide how much of the skater shows above the boards when he or she is skating relatively upright. On him, the boards are coming slightly below his waist -- between his waist and his hip joints. Comparing a quick look at a few other tall male skaters, that puts him within an inch or so of Evan Lysacek and Benjamin Mimar and a bit taller than Eric Radford. So somewhere around 6'4"? Maybe a bit more. I skated for several seasons recreationally with a man who was a firefighter in his day job and had competed provincially with his 5'8" sister. He's 6'5" (1.95+). :jaw:I had to keep well away from him in sbs camel spins and when landing jumps, and death spirals made me a tad nervous (from my viewpoint I practically had my head lying on his boot), but the thrill of those lifts and twist lifts made up for any other inconveniences.

I'm going to keep an eye on this kid!

Edit: Sorry to notice later that he's retired. Darn. Over 6' is my favourite height for a pairs partner, although I've skated with men 5'7" or so who had the strength to have no problem with lifts. My longest-running partner is over 6', with heavy bones and muscles and hands the size of a baseball catcher's mitt. Very safe feeling in the air.

Attachments

• Scan 8.jpeg
    Scan 8.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: