Ted Barton will cover Russian Nat on world Wide stream! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton will cover Russian Nat on world Wide stream!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Poor Ted. He means no harm to anyone but now he has those 2 petty TSL guys accusing him of sucking up to Eteri and previously Hanyu fans bombarding him on twitter for disagreeing on practicing the 4A in GPF practice

I saw that! Apparently they tweeted a whole bunch of tweets dissing him! What a bunch of jerks! I was half-tempted to find one of their tweets and tell them where they could shove their opinions, but I decided not to waste my time.

Seriously, though, what horrible people. Picking on Ted of all commentators. They should be ashamed of themselves.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I saw that! Apparently they tweeted a whole bunch of tweets dissing him! What a bunch of jerks! I was half-tempted to find one of their tweets and tell them where they could shove their opinions, but I decided not to waste my time.

Seriously, though, what horrible people. Picking on Ted of all commentators. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m not sure Ted need protection he seems like the sort that would personally like constructive criticism.

I’m very happy that so many enjoy his style but he’s definitely not for everyone. Figure skating can be a bit of a negative environment and Ted is a great counter to that but it is a sport. It was infuriating to hear him act like the mistakes that cost skaters a chance at winning were no big deal.

Yes winning isn’t the be all and end all but you don’t compete if you don’t want to win.

In my opinion the best sports commentators are opinionated, critical but not mean or nasty.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’m not sure Ted need protection he seems like the sort that would personally like constructive criticism.

I’m very happy that so many enjoy his style but he’s definitely not for everyone. Figure skating can be a bit of a negative environment and Ted is a great counter to that but it is a sport. It was infuriating to hear him act like the mistakes that cost skaters a chance at winning were no big deal.

Yes winning isn’t the be all and end all but you don’t compete if you don’t want to win.

In my opinion the best sports commentators are opinionated, critical but not mean or nasty.

That may be true, except that wasn't what those guy were doing, they were being complete jerks.

Having heard how those guys talk about skaters, I wouldn't want anyone taking their "advice"

wintersmith

Rinkside
I’m gonna be honest I didn’t enjoy Ted’s style for senior competition. I think he just needs to practice and realise that a little criticism isn’t all bad. He’s lovely for the JGP though.

Plus I think we’re learning more and more why commentators work in pairs. Even Eurosport Chris was off his game speaking alone.

Agreed. Commentators are suppose to report on what is going on on the ice, which includes when someone is skating poorly. That is simply observation, not critisism. And by the way, I know some of you like that Ted zips up during the programs, but I actually don't mind commentating during performances, as long as they keep it to what is happening in the skate, and not monolouging about something irrelevant or suddenly start explaining how the scoring system works. (I'm looking at you NBC/CBC).

I though Chris handled himself well, with just a few exceptions.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ted was wonderful during the Russian championships... i love his silence during performances, of course, then his comments during replays are to the point, informative and, yes, kind in an environment where kindness is at a premium. He presents the facts directly and with grace. I like the British commenters who manage humor without cutting sarcasm. Ben Agosto is also one of my favorite commenters, not often heard from, a pity, and mostly in ice dance. Judges are there to judge and get tough.. a good commenter like Ted will explain scores, outcomes without being heavy handed. I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian event because we could actually watch due to their television coverage and for Ted's commentary.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Ted was wonderful during the Russian championships... i love his silence during performances, of course, then his comments during replays are to the point, informative and, yes, kind in an environment where kindness is at a premium. He presents the facts directly and with grace. I like the British commenters who manage humor without cutting sarcasm. Ben Agosto is also one of my favorite commenters, not often heard from, a pity, and mostly in ice dance. Judges are there to judge and get tough.. a good commenter like Ted will explain scores, outcomes without being heavy handed. I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian event because we could actually watch due to their television coverage and for Ted's commentary.

Totally with you. Yes, Ted is kind, but that doesn't mean he doesn't see mistakes. He does, and comments on them (but afterwards) but without denigrating any skater. And, to be able to see the Russian championships in any case was a joy. I hope to hear Agosto one day!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Totally with you. Yes, Ted is kind, but that doesn't mean he doesn't see mistakes. He does, and comments on them (but afterwards) but without denigrating any skater. And, to be able to see the Russian championships in any case was a joy. I hope to hear Agosto one day!

I hope Ted has a long fruitful career!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpBogUvGKUo
Posting an example of Ben commenting with his former Ice Dance partner Tanith Belbin... pairing them as commenters was natural, I suppose, since they competed together but he is quieter, more reflective than she. This video is from 2018 European Championships commenting on P/C FD... They hold off speaking (except for a word or two from Tanith at the start) until 4:40.... then Ben begins his observations, Tanith joins in, but the most incisive comments come from him, like his remarks about the twizzles on slow motion replay; things I never noticed but went back to watch again. Hope Ben and Ted become fixtures on the skating scene... thanks !!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one thing I didn't like at Russian Nationals was Ted pointing out mistakes and then saying "It's OK". That is fine in the JGP, because those skaters are inexperienced and are learning how to compete. Mistakes are how they learn.

But in a National Championship event, glaring mistakes by the top skaters are NOT OK, and even they know that. Trusova's tears started well before the end of her FS, after the falls and the doubled quad.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The one thing I didn't like at Russian Nationals was Ted pointing out mistakes and then saying "It's OK". That is fine in the JGP, because those skaters are inexperienced and are learning how to compete. Mistakes are how they learn.

But in a National Championship event, glaring mistakes by the top skaters are NOT OK, and even they know that. Trusova's tears started well before the end of her FS, after the falls and the doubled quad.

I get the feeling that Ted didn't mean "That's OK" like winning doesn't matter, but more as a reality check. Skating is obviously very important to all skaters who compete, but in the end it's not life and death, none of them should despair or beat themselves up over a less than perfect skate. Obviously they should look at how they can improve, but they shouldn't base their entire life or identity on a medal because that's not healthy, whether you're a junior or senior skater.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Perhaps there were certain terms agreed between FFKKR and Ted over the 'tone' of the commentary? We don't know.

Also we don't know how much Ted really knows about the 'inner workings' of Russian figure skating, the force fields that exist, the columns of power over certain rinks and skaters. It was probably for the better he stayed away from attempts in giving a clearer/deeper picture that isn't of real interest to the worldwide audience.

But you are right, these are all pro athletes, and a slightly more critical commentary could have been given. Still, when having to listen to TAT's prattling over the 'good old times' and ignoring what is shown on the ice, I'd rather prefer Ted. And a large lot of Russians did too.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get the feeling that Ted didn't mean "That's OK" like winning doesn't matter, but more as a reality check. Skating is obviously very important to all skaters who compete, but in the end it's not life and death, none of them should despair or beat themselves up over a less than perfect skate. Obviously they should look at how they can approve, but they shouldn't base their entire life or identity on a medal because that's not healthy, whether you're a junior or senior skater.

A skater at that level (in a Senior National competition) is going to be dismayed by mistakes---that's only normal and human. But remember, the skater does not hear what Ted is saying, so the 'pat on the head' is going nowhere. It's up to the skater's coach to console the skater after a subpar performance. Telling the watching audience that it's OK to make mistakes seems a disconnect from reality in this situation.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Ted is right. For a kid in sports, it’s ok to fail sometimes. It’s what you do afterwards that helps you grow. Kids should learn to “fail forward” at that age and learn from mistakes rather than lament them.

skatespin

On the Ice
I get the feeling that Ted didn't mean "That's OK" like winning doesn't matter, but more as a reality check. Skating is obviously very important to all skaters who compete, but in the end it's not life and death, none of them should despair or beat themselves up over a less than perfect skate. Obviously they should look at how they can approve, but they shouldn't base their entire life or identity on a medal because that's not healthy, whether you're a junior or senior skater.

I agree!

I feel like what Ted meant by "it's okay" is that it's just a minor mistake in comparison to everything they have done and that skaters are human (they can't always be perfect).

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Dear ISU:

I'd like you to send the Channel One camera and audio teams to all of next season's Challengers and to the GP event (Cup of China?) which used that overhead camera too promiscuously. Send Ted, too.

As much as I disregard TV as a concept, I think Channel One's team is incredible. I especially love these 40 minutes of behind-the-scenes (apparently done just for fun), especially moments like this.