Ted Barton will cover Russian Nat on world Wide stream! | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton will cover Russian Nat on world Wide stream!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Ted also announced on the Russian webcast that Canada will be opening the livestream of its nationals to all, with no blocking.

Good. Channel One set the example, let the other federations and LOC's follow. It will only increase the popularity and respect of figure skating.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Sorry to be pedantic, but I just wanted to point out that the very first programme of the Gala has been skipped. The one from local guest skater Yaroslava Ivanova.

And now that I get the chance, I would just like to say that I was very disappointed that the local skater who was actually competing in the Championships, Sofia Samodurova, did not get to do a routine of her own in the Gala. (I word it like this because she did actually take part in the second of the Group Performances).

But, it was nice to see the clip of all the podium finishers lined up for the national anthem. I hadn't realised just how tiny the Ladies Medallists were until I saw them standing next to the other Medallists! :drama:

That said, I did notice that there was a very important absentee from this line-up:

Where was Tina Trusova?!

CaroLiza_fan

Ducky

On the Ice
Ted is fantastic.

Knows what to shut up, doesn't tell or exaggerate, always has kind words for each skater and is very easy and relaxing to listen to.

I hope he does more commentary, maybe even Euros/Worlds (pretty please, Ted).

Ted Barton is just so avuncular. :) I really wish that he could do the English language coverage of all the ISU competitions because he's also good at explaining elements as well.

wintersmith

Rinkside
Ted is fantastic.

Knows what to shut up, doesn't tell or exaggerate, always has kind words for each skater and is very easy and relaxing to listen to.

I hope he does more commentary, maybe even Euros/Worlds (pretty please, Ted).

I would argue that he exaggerates his kindness. When someone steps out of a jump, he's like: "That's ok". I'm like: "Is it?" :laugh:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I believe when Ted commented the Canadian stage of GP from the “secondary” commentary seat, he was less PC, but never stooped to the level of some Russian premier commentators.

I do like his detailed routine descriptions and the pointing out of errors and what probably caused them. Plus he uses the judging system to explain how and why the marks are given.

With the internet we can hear and compare different commentators and Ted is always in my top 3.

Amei

Record Breaker
I would argue that he exaggerates his kindness. When someone steps out of a jump, he's like: "That's ok". I'm like: "Is it?" :laugh:

Yeah, I say this as someone that was rooting for Shcherbakova to win Nationals, but when she had to step-out of the 4F landing to not fall and he said something about that being the only mistake "if it is 1" had me laughing. While I like his commentary a lot I do wish he wouldn't gloss over mistakes or at least comment it like "with this skater's content being so much more difficult than most other competitors she can afford 1-2 small errors like this step-out'; I understand not hounding an error-filled program but if a skater's 1 obvious jump error is a step-out it's not going to completely crush her psyche to point out the mistake without cherry-coating it.

But overall I would much prefer Ted's exaggerated kindness over some of the other commentators childish (I saw somewhere that Tarasova wouldn't mention Eteri or her skaters by name) or cattiness of some others.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m gonna be honest I didn’t enjoy Ted’s style for senior competition. I think he just needs to practice and realise that a little criticism isn’t all bad. He’s lovely for the JGP though.

Plus I think we’re learning more and more why commentators work in pairs. Even Eurosport Chris was off his game speaking alone.

icybear

Medalist
Poor Ted. He means no harm to anyone but now he has those 2 petty TSL guys accusing him of sucking up to Eteri and previously Hanyu fans bombarding him on twitter for disagreeing on practicing the 4A in GPF practice

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Poor Ted. He means no harm to anyone but now he has those 2 petty TSL guys accusing him of sucking up to Eteri and previously Hanyu fans bombarding him on twitter for disagreeing on practicing the 4A in GPF practice

If TSL doesn't like him, then it means he's doing something right. Who cares what they think about anything? One is so successful he gets invited to Russia to do commentary...the others will languish on their little Youtube channel forever. Legends in their own minds.

icybear

Medalist
If TSL doesn't like him, then it means he's doing something right. Who cares what they think about anything? One is so successful he gets invited to Russia to do commentary...the others will languish on their little Youtube channel forever. Legends in their own minds.

Honestly their spitefulness on him seems to be coming from jealously that the Russian fed holds Ted in such high esteem

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

The only time I felt Ted went a touch overboard with sweetness was when he said something to the extent of Samarin making mistakes is what made him (Samarin) disconnect from the music.... overall, from every commentator I could understand, I preferred Ted so far. I also don’t like multiple people chatting, because they inevitably veer away into gossip etc

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Dear ISU:

I'd like you to send the Channel One camera and audio teams to all of next season's Challengers and to the GP event (Cup of China?) which used that overhead camera too promiscuously. Send Ted, too.

Amei

Record Breaker
Dear ISU:

I'd like you to send the Channel One camera and audio teams to all of next season's Challengers and to the GP event (Cup of China?) which used that overhead camera too promiscuously. Send Ted, too.

That's a GoFund Me page I would donate to. And the overhead camera was at both Skate America and Cup of China