Thanks Keegan Messing! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thanks Keegan Messing!

Weathergal

Medalist
I was so happy for him when got a silver at Canadian Nationals and achieved his dream of going to the Olympics! It was also heartwarming to see what a genuinely nice guy he is and what a sportsman he is when he offered such heartfelt appreciation and congratulations to Elladj Balde and Elladj's coach Bruno Marcotte after Elladj's triumphant skate at Nationals even as he was preparing for his own skate! Being a long-time fan of both skaters (and Bruno), it was wonderful to see!

Keegan first captured my interest when he skated to "The Incredible Hulk" in a bright green and black costume at U.S. Nationals. He skated a little wildly but passionately, and there was obviously some talent. Something about him, even though rough around the edges, made you want to watch him and cheer for him.

Unfortunately he didn't get a lot of support from the U.S. fed and, I believe, they were pressuring him to leave Alaska to pursue skating. I admired him greatly for staying true to himself. If you ever check out his Instagram, you'll see many posts of him enjoying the beautiful outdoors in Alaska, and it is clear that he loves his home. While we in the "lower 48" (most of the U.S.) have some special places, Alaska is unique. I can't blame him for wanting to stay there and not have to choose between that and the sport he loves. He's also been with the same coach, Ralph Burghart, for many years. So I can only imagine that it was a difficult decision for him to change skating countries and skate for Canada, which he can do since his mother is a Canadian citizen, but what he felt he needed to do to pursue his skating career.

I was saddened a while back to read some negative commentary about that. Prior to reading that commentary, I had seen such support for Keegan from both U.S. and Canadian fans - and I'm sure from other countries as well. I never thought of him as "country shopping" or just changing countries on a whim to continue skating. I respect those who have that opinion, of course, but I clearly don't agree with it.

It is great to see so many nice words about Keegan in this thread!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Keegan is an absolute joy and it is impossible not to like him. I am so glad that he made the decision to skate for Canada (I am a New Yorker/USican) and that he had the Olympic experience. I hope he makes top ten at worlds. Again will someone who works in toys / dolls manufacture a Keegan doll. I'd buy one!!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thank you Alaska/America for Keegan, and to Canada for working with him and creating this opportunity. When we work together the things we can do!

Now, about this world peace thingy, and the even distribution of wealth for all nations...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was so happy for him when got a silver at Canadian Nationals and achieved his dream of going to the Olympics! It was also heartwarming to see what a genuinely nice guy he is and what a sportsman he is when he offered such heartfelt appreciation and congratulations to Elladj Balde and Elladj's coach Bruno Marcotte after Elladj's triumphant skate at Nationals even as he was preparing for his own skate! Being a long-time fan of both skaters (and Bruno), it was wonderful to see!

Keegan first captured my interest when he skated to "The Incredible Hulk" in a bright green and black costume at U.S. Nationals. He skated a little wildly but passionately, and there was obviously some talent. Something about him, even though rough around the edges, made you want to watch him and cheer for him.

Unfortunately he didn't get a lot of support from the U.S. fed and, I believe, they were pressuring him to leave Alaska to pursue skating. I admired him greatly for staying true to himself. If you ever check out his Instagram, you'll see many posts of him enjoying the beautiful outdoors in Alaska, and it is clear that he loves his home. While we in the "lower 48" (most of the U.S.) have some special places, Alaska is unique. I can't blame him for wanting to stay there and not have to choose between that and the sport he loves. He's also been with the same coach, Ralph Burghart, for many years. So I can only imagine that it was a difficult decision for him to change skating countries and skate for Canada, which he can do since his mother is a Canadian citizen, but what he felt he needed to do to pursue his skating career.

I was saddened a while back to read some negative commentary about that. Prior to reading that commentary, I had seen such support for Keegan from both U.S. and Canadian fans - and I'm sure from other countries as well. I never thought of him as "country shopping" or just changing countries on a whim to continue skating. I respect those who have that opinion, of course, but I clearly don't agree with it.

It is great to see so many nice words about Keegan in this thread!

Girdwood, Alaska is such a quaint little town. He's got the best of all worlds right there at his fingertips. I think one of the many reasons I admire him so much is we share a love of our home so much so that we'll fight tooth and nail to stay here. :laugh:

that and just watching him "grow up" makes me feel like a proud mom! (not a stalker, I swear! lol)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's a ray of sunshine and always has that look like he's happy to be at the party! I love his "Singin in the Rain".