The "what the heck?" programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The "what the heck?" programs

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu's Vertigo EX and to a somewhat lesser extent, Shoma Uno's Bad Boy Good Man EX. Not the programs themselves, but how old they were when they skated them! :shocked: I wish they'd saved them until they were over 18 so I could let myself enjoy them without feeling like a dirty old lady. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Domnina/Shabalin's Aboriginal Dance.

It wasn't just the costumes and styling... the actual PROGRAM was so bizarre.

I've recently been rethinking this program. My reactions have been that it was horrible.

But I've got to give them some credit for taking a risk. It was a risk that didn't pay off, that's for sure, but it was different. I don't think it was mean-spirited, just a really bad mistake.

I suppose this evolution in my thinking is attributable to the "seen that already" feeling I've been getting from so many programs nowadays.

I don't find anything particularly artistic about skaters doing the same thing over and over - either by themselves or someone else. This type of artistry is akin to soulful paintings of kittens with large eyes. It might be cute the first time you see it, but who wants to see that over and over?

It's boring. To riff on a comment I made on another thread, I want something new and intellectually/emotionally challenging. I want Picasso - bold and in-your-face.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It's boring. To riff on a comment I made on another thread, I want something new and intellectually/emotionally challenging. I want Picasso - bold and in-your-face.

Ouch! Don't like Picasso's work much, even if his innovativeness is admirable. I'd rather see a Piero de la Francesca (who was an innovator in his time), or, if one has to stick to more modern art: Salvador Dali. :laugh:

Matilda

Medalist
Didn't Stephane do some weird cat program? I think he wasn't even legal when he was wearing a full body suit and rolling around on the ice...

Which also reminds me of Alina's Olympic gala routine in her tiger outfit and arching her back and such. Bizarre.

And then Evgenia had that one gala from 2017 Euros I think where she emerged from a life-sized condom? Then the music transitioned to Madonna's Vogue. I actually liked that one cuz she was so committed to the weirdness. The homosexual in me very much appreciated the fierce voguing from lil Zhenya.

I think you mean Stephane’s infamous Red Cat program:

https://youtu.be/OwO542dGDH4

Eeyora

Final Flight
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned Yagudin’s “One Banana” program

happycamper2554

On the Ice
ilynkh and Katsalapov Shindlers List. Her costume made it bad from the start, plus the gunshots. Her execution style starting pose and her dying in the end were all bad. Plus how did no one think that this was a poor idea.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But I've got to give them some credit for taking a risk. It was a risk that didn't pay off, that's for sure, but it was different. I don't think it was mean-spirited, just a really bad mistake.

Well, this might be the worst take in this thread.

It was absolutely malicious. It was horrible. It should never have won a medal. End of story, no ifs buts or maybes.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It was absolutely malicious. It was horrible. It should never have won a medal. End of story, no ifs buts or maybes.

Agreed, it was indefensible.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've recently been rethinking this program. My reactions have been that it was horrible.

No. It was an obscenity. They had access to all the information they could possibly have needed to avoid slapping insult on top of two hundred years' worth of mortal injury to an entire people, and they chose to ignore it. There's nothing else left to say on the subject. Let it lie.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Malicious? Like they sat down to plan the program and thought, "We're a World Championship team. How can we go about offending the entire planet and destroy our reputation?"

I agree it was an offensive program to very many people, and I found the concept and packaging tasteless and lacking refinement.

But that they set out to do that on purpose? You really believe that?

I'm much more inclined to think they set out to do something original (I don't remember a program to aboriginal music before, although I've seen some well done since) and they just totally missed the mark.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Malicious? Like they sat down to plan the program and thought, "We're a World Championship team. How can we go about offending the entire planet and destroy our reputation?"

I agree it was an offensive program to very many people, and I found the concept and packaging tasteless and lacking refinement.

But that they set out to do that on purpose? You really believe that?

I'm much more inclined to think they set out to do something original (I don't remember a program to aboriginal music before, although I've seen some well done since) and they just totally missed the mark.

Okay, you know what else is a bad take? Being told your original take is a bad take by three separate posters with Australian flags under their names (bearing in mind the offended culture was the Indigenous Australian culture) and then promptly defending it. (I suppose instead of 'mansplaining', we could call this 'Americansplaining'.)

Yes, I believe it was malicious. I believe they chose a culture and set out to represent it as negatively, stereotypically as possible. I believe that the second they chose to keep the program despite how clearly awful and offensive it was it became deliberate and malicious.

I also believe it was deliberate because Russia thought that tiny skating country Australia didn't matter, wouldn't put up a fight, and it wouldn't matter if we did. As was proven.

As for other Indigenous Australian-themed programs, here's Dani and Greg's gorgeous program at 4CC 2010 - that they originally used in 2008 and that they would have used in Vancouver if Greg's heart condition had flared up right before Nebelhorn. This program was choreographed by an Indigenous choreographer, and every facet was done in full consultation with the Indigenous community. That is how you do it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, you know what else is a bad take? Being told your original take is a bad take by three separate posters with Australian flags under their names (bearing in mind the offended culture was the Indigenous Australian culture) and then promptly defending it. (I suppose instead of 'mansplaining', we could call this 'Americansplaining'.)

Yes, I believe it was malicious. I believe they chose a culture and set out to represent it as negatively, stereotypically as possible. I believe that the second they chose to keep the program despite how clearly awful and offensive it was it became deliberate and malicious.

I also believe it was deliberate because Russia thought that tiny skating country Australia didn't matter, wouldn't put up a fight, and it wouldn't matter if we did. As was proven.

As for other Indigenous Australian-themed programs, here's Dani and Greg's gorgeous program at 4CC 2010 - that they originally used in 2008 and that they would have used in Vancouver if Greg's heart condition had flared up right before Nebelhorn. This program was choreographed by an Indigenous choreographer, and every facet was done in full consultation with the Indigenous community. That is how you do it.

To say that they deliberately set out to offend an indigenous people in a negative light seems far-fetched considering their status in the figure skating world at the time, but believe what you will. My "bad take" seems to be that I don't agree with you. That's fine.

Neither my gender (mansplaining) nor my nationality (Americansplaining) have anything to do with this discussion.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Neither my gender (mansplaining) nor my nationality (Americansplaining) have anything to do with this discussion.

Actually, nationality did. Because you were told by three separate Australians (bearing in mind the culture being mocked was Indigenous Australian) and then proceeded to explain why it wasn't malicious as though you knew best. As though you, an American, knew better than the Australians about something offensive to Indigenous Australian culture.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

To be blunt, it's not one whit less damning if it wasn't malicious, as doing such a blatantly racist and contemptuous parody unthinkingly says a lot about everyone concerned and all of it bad. Basically, it was a Jolsenesque 'Mammy' level of crude offence... and what would the Americans among us say to someone doing that?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Actually, nationality did. Because you were told by three separate Australians (bearing in mind the culture being mocked was Indigenous Australian) and then proceeded to explain why it wasn't malicious as though you knew best. As though you, an American, knew better than the Australians about something offensive to Indigenous Australian culture.

This is simply offensive.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To be blunt, it's not one whit less damning if it wasn't malicious, as doing such a blatantly racist and contemptuous parody unthinkingly says a lot about everyone concerned and all of it bad. Basically, it was a Jolsenesque 'Mammy' level of crude offence... and what would the Americans among us say to someone doing that?

THIS American would call out a Mammy program the same way I called out the original program in question.

The anti-American screed is equally offensive.