Update: Zabiiako not representing Canada | Golden Skate

Update: Zabiiako not representing Canada

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MOSCOW, May 18 - RIA Novosti. The silver medalist of the 2018 Olympics in the team tournament, former Russian figure skater Natalya Zabiyako resumes her career and will compete for Canada, a source familiar with the situation told RIA Novosti.

....and will be coached by Bruno Marcotte. Still waiting for official word from Skate Canada.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow.

This is a decision and pairing I did not see coming. I wonder if she has been living outside of Russia (perhaps she still has Estonian citizenship) these past years?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow. How intriguing? Will she be welcomed because she is Russian or at least skated for Russia and with way Russia has been treated since invading the Ukraine?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Skate Canada accepted her, and she is paired with Zach, she should be fine. She was born in Estonia, represented Estonia until 2014, and switched to Russia for skating opportunities.

Skate Canada seems to be pulling those pairs women in from other countries however ;)

Azikin

Medalist
Wow. How intriguing? Will she be welcomed because she is Russian or at least skated for Russia and with way Russia has been treated since invading the Ukraine?
I just watched summary of last night's Stanley Cup games. There are lots of Russians playing there, so I don't understand the question.

Anyway, this news is BIG, I can't wait to see Natalia skate again (apart from exhibitions..)!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I hope she's treated well.....

I understand the vagaries of human nature. Still, simply because Zabiiako is Russian, that's no reason for her to be treated poorly by anyone. She is not to blame for the war against Ukraine. There are Russians who were able to compete at Worlds, because they represent other eligible countries. I doubt any of them were treated poorly. When Russian skaters eventually return to competition, does that somehow mean they will be treated poorly? I doubt it.

In any case, Zabiiako is not the only Russian skater who might be seeking to continue their career by representing other countries, if they can effectively secure such opportunities. I heard that Eteri has been inquiring about the possibility of her daughter, Diana Davis, competing in ice dance for the U.S. I'm not sure if that has been officially confirmed to be the case, or whether the request will be granted if it was made. I don't believe that Diana's partner, Gleb Smolkin, is eligible to compete for the U.S.

This is an interesting development. Even despite the current ban against Russian skaters competing in ISU competitions, the Zabiiako/ Daleman pairing might still have happened. I'm glad to see that Daleman has found someone he's compatible with, because he looks like a good pairs guy (I enjoyed watching him as a junior pair skater, and later very briefly with Justine Brasseur). I had thought Zabiiako had moved on too, even though it was her partner, Enbert, who had to retire for physical reasons. While Z/E had gorgeous long lines and lovely personalities, I always felt their skating was flat and uninspiring. So, it will be interesting to see how Zabiiako matches up with Daleman on an emotional level.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had thought Zabiiako had moved on too, even though it was her partner, Enbert, who had to retire for physical reasons. While Z/E had gorgeous long lines and lovely personalities, I always felt their skating was flat and uninspiring. So, it will be interesting to see how Zabiiako matches up with Daleman on an emotional level.

That will be great to see. Natalia always had such elegance. Enbert did an interview with the Russian press, and he sounded very very happy that she's able to continue now. Also optimistic about her chances. :)

The one detail that sticks out in my memory from when Natalia was interviewed upon her and Enbert's retirement was that she sounded like she sort of "gave up" on the idea of finding another partner tall enough for her, as she is 5' 5". So naturally I'm now wondering how tall Zachary is. I did look it up but haven't been able to find his height, with my limited patience.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
While I am more on pins and needles to hear about any of the junior guys moving to other countries, Zabiiako’s coming to Canada is a huge ‘yay!’ from me for very obvious reasons. I loved that Nevsky SP they did with Enbert, and she has the hobbies that make her super relatable to me.

Of course, it didn’t fail to get some mudslinging in Russia from people unrelated to figure skating. Figure skating community like Tarasova or Averbukh supported her transfer.

But, one of the morons they stuff Duma (Parliament with) said the following. I didn’t come looking for it, it just popped on my feed this morning because I was reading many, many parts of the recent interview with Davydenko/Mozalev from the same source.

The quote reads:

“To Canada?! One of the countries that are most negative toward us? Well, let her go and let her not forget who trained and taught her. Let her dance there before the transgenders. Then they will toss her out like everyone else, and she’d drunk herself to death.”

“So, in your opinion, with people like that, should we apply some measures? Like revoking citizenship?”

“Well, almost for sure, they got some kind of medals here. Those should be revoked, for sure.”

I can’t WAIT to see Zabiiako skate again with Daleman, gosh, if it was this October in SkCan that would be awesome! I guarantee Zabiiako that she’d drunk herself to death if she stayed there.

Not sure why transgender came into this convo, but I guess, if all else fail, transphobic rant secures the audience’s approval? What a douche. All the comments on the said news flash are bashing the guy for spouting idiocy.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Canada's pairs field is weak right now, so it will be interesting to see how fast and how far they can rise. Will the Russian fed even release her in the current political climate?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bumping this up to add this information, which may explain why Natalia Z. wanted to leave Russia (although not why she wanted to come back to competition). The woman Kasatkina is dating is Natalia.

I am completely ignorant of tennis, so I don't know Kasatkina, but good for her in coming out:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That may explain why some Russian said Zabiiako was a traitor competing in a country filled with trans or whatever crazy bat:poop: they said..

Even happier she will represent Canada now.

Last edited:
The one detail that sticks out in my memory from when Natalia was interviewed upon her and Enbert's retirement was that she sounded like she sort of "gave up" on the idea of finding another partner tall enough for her, as she is 5' 5". So naturally I'm now wondering how tall Zachary is.
He's 6 feet even (183 cm).

As for the Russian thing, no problem. Just tell everyone you're from Estonia. When they say, "Where's that?" say it's near Lithuania. (If she relocates in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, say, "it's near Finland." There is a large population of Finns in the UP.)

rinkside_user

On the Ice
"[her partner, tennis player Kasatkina] told Russian blogger Vitya Kravchenko that she is in a relationship with a woman and found “living in the closet” impossible. Kasatkina, who is not currently based in Russia, also posted pictures on Instagram with her girlfriend, the figure skater Natalia Zabiiako."

🤟🤜💪🌈