Update: Zabiiako not representing Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Update: Zabiiako not representing Canada

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for the Russian thing, no problem. Just tell everyone you're from Estonia. When they say, "Where's that?" say it's near Lithuania. (If she relocates in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, say, "it's near Finland." There is a large population of Finns in the UP.)
Yes! We lived in the UP for four years. My sons can still riff on the local accent there, which is English very influenced by the cadence, expressions and some vocabulary from the Finnish.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
"[her partner, tennis player Kasatkina] told Russian blogger Vitya Kravchenko that she is in a relationship with a woman and found “living in the closet” impossible. Kasatkina, who is not currently based in Russia, also posted pictures on Instagram with her girlfriend, the figure skater Natalia Zabiiako."

🤟🤜💪🌈
I knew I know Kasatkina name from somewhere! Good for them ^^

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Very disappointed in the BBC. I read the story on their teletext service this morning, but it only talked about Daria. There was no mention of Natalja in the teletext story at all! 😲 I only found out it was a figure skating story when I came into this thread! :drama: It just shows how much the BBC is interested in figure skating. :rolleye:

(I have to admit, I only went into the teletext story as I had never heard tell of Kasatkina before, and wanted to know who she was).

I'm gutted! Another of my secret skating crushes is not available. :cry:

Seriously, though. What a gorgeous couple! :love:

I wish them every happiness. And I hope that life is easier for them in Canada than it was in Russia.

CaroLiza_fan

Amei

Record Breaker
Hope there isn't a political reason for this.

Well people were griping and voicing their "concern" that Russians were going to go country-shopping to circumvent the ban....Though it would say a lot about Skate Canada that they without issue took Vanessa James immediately as a top team (sent her to the Olympics) given the despicable situation with her prior partner and her lack of awareness of the current climate of those types of issues, but don't take Natalia because she's a Russian citizen (no other "controversies" that I'm aware of around her).

Hopefully (if true) its something very simple like her and Zach ended up not meshing as well together as they originally thought they would, decided to not partner up, and that's why Skate Canada withdrew the transfer request.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well people were griping and voicing their "concern" that Russians were going to go country-shopping to circumvent the ban....Though it would say a lot about Skate Canada that they without issue took Vanessa James immediately as a top team (sent her to the Olympics) given the despicable situation with her prior partner and her lack of awareness of the current climate of those types of issues, but don't take Natalia because she's a Russian citizen (no other "controversies" that I'm aware of around her).

Hopefully (if true) its something very simple like her and Zach ended up not meshing as well together as they originally thought they would, decided to not partner up, and that's why Skate Canada withdrew the transfer request.
let's wait for the official news.... let's also not forget that France had released Vanessa swiftly... There may be things happening behind the scenes between the RUS Fed and Skate Canada that are making it complicated...

I also agree with @el henry that I do not trust Kogan...

Skate Ontario has published the entry list for a competition next month...
Zabiiako/Daleman are listed (July 10th)

mrrice

Record Breaker
"[her partner, tennis player Kasatkina] told Russian blogger Vitya Kravchenko that she is in a relationship with a woman and found “living in the closet” impossible. Kasatkina, who is not currently based in Russia, also posted pictures on Instagram with her girlfriend, the figure skater Natalia Zabiiako."

🤟🤜💪🌈
I follow tennis almost as closely as I follow skating. With so many players being Out, including the great, Martina Navratilova, I'm surprised these stories still make headlines. A bit sad for me to see.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW (and I hesitate saying this, because I will need to skip through all the "TSL bad, so bad, so so so so bad" posts that follow:biggrin: )

Dave Lease claims he spoke with Bruno Marcotte today. According to Dave, Bruno said that Natalia wanted to return home to Barcelona, to be with Daria during this "difficult time". Therefore, at Natalia's request, Skate Canada withdrew the transfer.

The "facts" part runs for about 20 seconds at 18:30. I wouldn't listen to anything after that, just Lease bloviating.

I tend to believe Dave spoke with Bruno, Bruno said this, and that this is the reason for any break in the partnership. Skate Canada would love to have Natalia, she's Estonian by birth, and of course Kogan would twist the narrative.:sneaky:

Wishing Daria and Natalia the best.:pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
FWIW (and I hesitate saying this, because I will need to skip through all the "TSL bad, so bad, so so so so bad" posts that follow:biggrin: )

Dave Lease claims he spoke with Bruno Marcotte today. According to Dave, Bruno said that Natalia wanted to return home to Barcelona, to be with Daria during this "difficult time". Therefore, at Natalia's request, Skate Canada withdrew the transfer.

The "facts" part runs for about 20 seconds at 18:30. I wouldn't listen to anything after that, just Lease bloviating.

I tend to believe Dave spoke with Bruno, Bruno said this, and that this is the reason for any break in the partnership. Skate Canada would love to have Natalia, she's Estonian by birth, and of course Kogan would twist the narrative.:sneaky:

Wishing Daria and Natalia the best.:pray:
hahahahaha... i was doing something else and then forgot to stop Lease after the "facts" parts... oh lord... LOL... and you had warned us...

This "story" makes much more sense... Daleman's mother had tweeted about "amazing new partnership" months ago...so it certainly wouldn't be logical at all for Zach to train with someone that Skate Canada would then refuse... seriously.... it's like Kogan thinks we are dumb.

NaVi

Medalist
Curious to know if she's receiving a monthly payment from being an Olympic silver medalist and if that would be any factor at all. It isn't much(from below it seems to be 39 thousand rubles a month which is $700 these days) but knowing you always have that little bit of income no matter what can be reassuring. And while I'm not sure there's a mechanism for taking it away for switching to a new country, in a country like Russia that can be arranged.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Curious to know if she's receiving a monthly payment from being an Olympic silver medalist and if that would be any factor at all. It isn't much(from below it seems to be 39 thousand rubles a month which is $700 these days) but knowing you always have that little bit of income no matter what can be reassuring. And while I'm not sure there's a mechanism for taking it away for switching to a new country, in a country like Russia that can be arranged.

If she is living in Barcelona (which she is) does her payment in rubles even come through?

But that is an interesting question.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If she is living in Barcelona (which she is) does her payment in rubles even come through?

But that is an interesting question.
I believe the players let the tournaments know which type of payment they'd like at the beginning of the season. Novak Djokovic lives in Monaco and though he gets paid in Euros, the taxes are much different there than they are in his home country of Serbia, where the Dinar is the popular currency.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe the players let the tournaments know which type of payment they'd like at the beginning of the season. Novak Djokovic lives in Monaco and though he gets paid in Euros, the taxes are much different there than they are in his home country of Serbia, where the Dinar is the popular currency.

Interesting point, I did not know that. For Daria who is placing in tournaments (I presume, I don't know tennis) that makes sense.

But if Natalia is receiving a payment from the Russian state for winning an Olympic medal, the state may insist that it be paid in rubles. Which doesn't help her much in Barcelona. 🤷‍♀️