US Men: Did the judges have it right? | Golden Skate

US Men: Did the judges have it right?

dreamsk8

On the Ice
With Adam winning gold, beating out Max and Nathan with their quads do you think the judging was right?

noskates

Record Breaker
Doesn't really matter what WE think. But it seems to me like every time there's a competition and someone's favorite doesn't win - they blame it on faulty judging or the USFS. Adam won. Done and done.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Yes the judges got it right.
Adam's artistic quality > the other two.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No. They did not.

I am sure order will be restored at Four Continents.

sowcow

On the Ice
Ask the judges themselves:

It looked like one, if not two of the judges they panned were shaking their head :noshake: as if to say they "could not believe that Adam was placed ahead of Max"...

Here's the link to the judges expressions when panned by the NBC camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-o4ZkFGDko

The reactions of just these 4 judges speaks volumes!!:

• Judge 1 - nervous laughter
  • Judge 2 - a combination head shake, eye roll and shoulder shrug
  • Judge 3 - [thought bubble] "I can't believe all the 'other' judges got it sooooo wrong"
  • Judge 4 - consciously keeping her head/eyes down at her monitor [as if to avoid looking up into the crowd??]

:points:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh wow. I thought it would be Nathen then Max then Adam. But it is about time put in. Chen can compete with the best in the world. Crazy judging.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Nathan should have won. For Adam and Max i don't know. I think all things considered they were pretty even.

I think they got thee top five exactly right, although I was rooting for Grant Hochstein to get a medal.

About the judges looking perplexed, that's one of the features of the IJS. The judges just put in their marks in the appropriate boxes and don't know until it's over who they scored for the win.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
People are bamboozled into thinking Adam is some artist just because he seemingly has "elegance". Even Nathan skates faster than him. After the SP the order should've been:

1. Nathan
2. Max

THEN Adam. Nathan should've even won the PCS. As far as the long, Max should've been under Nathan in PCS, and Adam should've been much closer.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ask the judges themselves:

Nobody asked the judges. Interpretations of their expressions at a particular moment are not answers.

About the judges looking perplexed, that's one of the features of the IJS. The judges just put in their marks in the appropriate boxes and don't know until it's over who they scored for the win.

Now if you show me the computer rolling its eyes...........

sses1

On the Ice
People are bamboozled into thinking Adam is some artist just because he seemingly has "elegance". Even Nathan skates faster than him. After the SP the order should've been:

1. Nathan
2. Max

THEN Adam. Nathan should've even won the PCS. As far as the long, Max should've been under Nathan in PCS, and Adam should've been much closer.

Thank you! Nathan has the most difficult step sequences and transitions in his program out of the top 3 even if he doesn't have the "polish" of Adam, who did not even manage to land one quad in the long program while Nathan did 4 QUADS!! This was just embarrassing from a judging viewpoint.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe it was a lifetime achievement award for Adam sticking around for so long. With Jason and hopefully Josh coming back next season and the kids like Nathan and Vincent getting better his time is getting short to even make a World team. He's 27 in November and to be honest his skating skills are not that much better then some of the other top US Men .

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like both Adam and Max and either of them could have won,

Nathan was deservedly in third place.

But of course, when certain favorites, who are thought to have a lock on the way that the oh-so-important and valued international judges will (they think) judge someone, do not win as predicted, then it is the judge's fault. And oh, those international judges will show you when the time comes!

The ref is blind and wait until next Sunday!:rofl:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would have actually been ok with the top 3 in any order. They each have strengths and weaknesses and all three ended up with very close scores. The important thing is that they all made the world team; it would have been a travesty if Nathan was left at home.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The tech panel already made mistakes. Just look at Adams 4Lz and 3Lz (in combo), the << and < respectively are clear. With those calls alone Adam would have already been 2nd. No need to even get to the judges.

CCC

Rinkside
I think Adam's win is consistent with how the general public/casual viewer (not die-hard fans) views skating in the US - as both a sport and a performance. I count myself as one that can barely tell the difference of any of the jumps, even after watching skating since Dorothy Hamil at the Olympics. (Dating myself here...).

I just know what I like to see in a skating program (a blend of Skills, Artistry and Jumps that highlight the performance)
Adam - The Performer (and Lifetime Achievement Award)
Max - The Sportsman
Nathan - The Future (and History Maker)

noskates

Record Breaker
Well you can keep blaming the USFSA or the judges or whatever - but, to imply that the competition was "fixed" would also imply that there was planning beforehand and I don't think anyway wants to go there.

Nathan is a jumping bean. And right now - that's it. His choreography, his performance, his connection to the music, his connection to the audience, just isn't there yet. He had 4 quads and they were beautiful. But I sure don't want a figure skating competition to be based solely on landing multiple quads. There's more to skating than that. MUCH MORE. His time will come. He's still young and still developing.

Max. I would rather see him skating to something less lyrical and balletic where he could be himself. On point, Adam skated circles around him in skating skills, performance skills, and producing a finished product. Max looks uncomfortable out there, like other than the jumps he's just going through some practiced motions.

I don't know how Adam won but I'm really glad he did. I've always liked him and I think he's a complete skater.

There's no way this was going to turn out to some's liking unless Max was on top of the podium. So Worlds is coming up and he has another chance with another set of judges to prove himself.

Ross Miner is sad. He skate a beautiful short program and then did his usual in the long. I felt sorry for him. But other than Nathan, there really isn't a huge standout in the ranks. Of course that can change from year to year.

But I'm really tired of a performance being based on quads. It's a jump! Necessary, probably yes, but it should not be the focus of success.