Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold; make history

After winning their fifth Olympic medal in figure skating, Virtue and Moir have now become the most decorated Olympic figure skaters, breaking the record of four by Sweden’s Gillis Grafström and Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko.

When asked if she could ever imagine this, Virtue’s response was, “Certainly not. Although in grade one, I did write in my journal that I wanted to be at the Olympics with Danny Moir, Scott’s brother, so I’m close.”

Virtue and Moir are planning to make an announcement regarding their future soon, but for now, they just want to take in the moment and “let the dust kind of settle” and figure out what’s next.

More...

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir win 2nd ice dance gold with WR

http://time.com/5166108/tessa-virtue-scott-moir-ice-dancing-canada-gold/

Figure skating: Virtue, Moir win second ice dance gold with world record, written by Elaine Lies, Rory Carroll, Reuters

Tessa and Scott are now two-time Olympic champions after the Russian Grishuk and Platov in dance. They are the first Olympic Canadian champions in dance and first North American Oly champions other than Russian and Europeans and then they just join the multiple Olympic gold medalist club. Not only that they've also contributed a lot to Team Canada having a victory in the Team Event. Two Oly gold medals and one silver medal in individual event and one Team gold and silver medal. The PyeongChang audience in the arena witnessed a great history being made.

What an accomplishment and legacy they have left in the field. :) The battle between Papadakis / Cizeron was epic and thrilling, so congratulations to all the medalists and participants in the event!

Diok

Rinkside
Yes!!!!! They have everything in spades huge superstar ice dancers! Their chemistry and magic is unmatched and they brought the house down!

rain

Record Breaker
They are legends. So, so happy. They gave magnificent performances here.

randomsplashes

Rinkside
YESSS!!!!! GOAT!!!!! :love:

I'M STILL SHAKING FROM THAT PERFORMANCE, IT WAS PERFECTION!!
NOW THEY RETIRE AS THE MOST DECORATED OLYMPIC FIGURE SKATERS OF ALL TIME!! :yahoo:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Feel really sorry for the French pair. Worst luck happened at the worst time. It could happen to anyone. I don't think the teams that did not have wardrobe malfunction spent more time taking care of their outfit. There is always next Olympics. Personally I think it is easier to please the crowd with a program music that comes with obvious story and characteristics; it is harder to interpret abstract music and make the average audience go with it. It is really the difference between musical and orchestra.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really sucks that of all things a loose strap may have decided the gold medal. :(

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm Over the moon for Scott and Tessa. Congrats to both of them!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Really sucks that of all things a loose strap may have decided the gold medal. :(

Come on now, you know that's not what won Scott and Tessa the gold, it was pure clean skating and fair judging. Scott and Tessa worked hard for that Gold medal and won the day fair and square. It would have been the same outcome even with out the French team's costume malfunction.

I knew there would be some negative comments here, it's ridiculous. Yes, it's too bad what happened with P/C s costume malfunction, but that's the Olympics, things happen. They should have made sure the dress was secure before stepping on the ice.

Manitou

Medalist
I was really, really hoping for P/C getting gold. That was one of my main points of watching this Olympics. I have been waiting for P/C gold for last three years.
It didn't happen, unfortunately, but I must give credit to V/M. Overall they deserved it. P/C blew their short dance and that was the factor. They blew it last year when they underplayed it, and they blew it this year with the wardrobe catastrophe.
It shows you cannot win it on free dance alone, no matter how otherworldly your free dance is. You must prepare your SD as seriously as your FD.
So I am extremely disappointed, but I concede. The French lost it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Come on now, you know that's not what won Scott and Tessa the gold, it was pure clean skating and fair judging. Scott and Tessa worked hard for that Gold medal and won the day fair and square. It would have been the same outcome even with out the French team's costume malfunction.

I disagree. P/C couldn't put out their best performance when they both had to worry about her top falling off. Anyone who denies that is lying to themselves.

ChanClan

On the Ice
Yeah, it sucks big time that this happened to them on the biggest stage but that doesn't take away from the fact that Tessa and Scott came out and slayed both programs. Unfortunately for PC, they didn't slay both programs. Maybe the costume threw them off, maybe it wouldn't have matter in the end anyway. We don't know, nor will we ever know so it's really no use in pretending we know what would have actually happened if PC didn't have a costume malfunction.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
That was epic. Respect. To skate like that after P/C giant score, respect.